Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My Girlfriend prevented a cold sore with Acyclovir, but still safe to kiss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Girlfriend gets cold sores once in a blue moon, pretty much just once a year. We've been careful not to kiss during the one outbreak that happened since we started dating and waited until she was fully healed. She just recently got Acyclovir from her doctor however and now I'm in a not so obvious what to do situation. Just this morning she was starting to get one but took Acyclovir and her lip healed within an hour. She sent me a pic when it was red, then an hour or so later, she sent me a pic where it looked pink and completely normal. She was thrilled it prevented it from blistering. Thing is, I realize the virus can spread sometimes even when not visible, so I was wondering while the visible cold sore is gone from the medication, is she still contagious for awhile? I have a date tomorrow, so any advice would be helpful!

Comments

• SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hello AM_Artist, welcome to TheSite :)

It sounds like you're worried about your girlfriend's cold sores and the possibility of catching a virus from her. We're not medical experts here at TheSite, so it's difficult for me to say whether or not you could still be at risk even though it appears the effects have died down as of now.

There's some information here on the NHS website about cold sores which might be helpful. You could also try this page on NetDoctor.

It might also be worth having a chat with your girlfriend about your worries. It could be that she was able to speak to the doctor about the risks of cold sores during her appointment so she can put your mind at rest.

I hope this is helpful.

Sarah
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you Sarah,

My girlfriend is a nice understanding type thankfully that I can talk to about anything. When she had an outbreak before she understood about not kissing. But as of now this time she thinks she's fine because the symptoms went away and never developed into a blister after the pill, and looks and feels completely normal. I guess I was curious if others agreed or disagreed in this case. I feel like sites never give a clear answer on this specific case. They always talk about avoiding contact during the stages (even very early stages with no visible signs which is what worries me) of it actually happening until completely healed, but in this scenario, the visible signs at least, were completely stopped and never happened. So is she considered healed if no signs or sensations are present now?