Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Settling into new job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had my first day yesterday at my new job and am full of new job jitters.

The job is not my ideal - it's part time, term time only receptionist work, so I'll need to find something else in the summer - but it's something that is on the right track for what I want to be doing, I think.

I'm just looking for advice on how to settle in. Im trying not to freak out and panic like last time and putting it all down to nerves but I feel completely lost, have no idea what I'm doing and worried that I'll be a bit bored.

Good thing is that it's a 12 month contract so I'm trying to think that if I don't like it, at least it's not permanent.

Any tips for settling into a new job?

Comments

• PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Lexi

New year and a new job - Congratulations on getting something new! :thumb:

It's great that you recognise this job is leading you towards the job you want. The first day of a new job often feels really weird. I have always felt a bit useless for the first few days. This is totally normal, you can't really get stuck in until you have gone through all the boring processes etc.

Hmmmm top tips...

Ask lot's of questions, if you are unsure about anything ask away, your boss will be more than happy to answer.
    I find that taking notes is helpful. There is always so much to take in during the first few days, that by the time it comes to actually doing the job it's easy to forget lots of what you've been told.
    Talk to people...Rather than emailing someone try to go over to their desk introduce yourself and ask them instead. This means that you get to meet people quicker and shows that you are approachable and friendly.

Every job I have started I have had the " feel completely lost, have no idea what I'm doing and worried that I'll be a bit bored" feeling, take it day by day and be open minded.

Let us know how day 2 goes :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hii, its going well thanks, chats with senior members of staff are encouraging in that I might be able to move up and into other areas, and its a very relaxed, comfortable environment (a students union!) so it suits me well.

Ive been through alot lately thinking about my future and worrying about where it will go so these thoughts are still around and arent going to go away straight away. i cant stop thinking about 'what if this happens' 'what will i do when....'

For now though im just trying to ignore that, get stuck in and worry about these things when they happen.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Lexi! Great to hear you've found something new, I really hope it goes well for you.

In terms of settling in, PGreen has given some great advice but I would just add try to relax. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes, especially in the early days, you do just need to go with the flow a bit. I'd encourage you to just enjoy the new experience!

Good luck :)