Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Speaking out?? mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know who else feels this way, but I wish I could just be open my mental health properly. A few people know otherwise it's pretty much a secret. And you know, I really wish it wasn't - I am depressed - everyone gets depressed why is it any different?? But at the same time I'm too scared to speak out properly and it's kind of private for me too... Here no one knows who I am in real life so it's fine. But at the same time I have days when I am ready to tell people - not the whole word but just my friends who have stuck around - that way I wouldn't need to pretend or cover things up.
Just thinking that's all :p:/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly! Depression is such a huge part of so many people's lives and I think it's wrong that it has to kept so hidden - It would be nice to walk around showing scars, it would be nice to feel able to cry in public, but instead that fear of judgement basically runs your life and it's ridiculous. If someone gets to a point where they accept their depression themselves, accept it's part of their life then why should we have to feel we need to hide it? But it's the stigma and the judgement of other people that stops us from accepting it completely. I suppose the positive that comes from this is at least we know we're not at fault - the ones at fault are all of the people that have made us feel so terrible about feeling sad, the people in our own lives that made us actually fear more judgement in general.

It's great to think out loud sometimes Jazz and really glad you feel able to do so here. It's also great that you've got some really good friends that you even consider completely opening up to - that is truly something to cherish and one day you'll get to that point :yes:
    Yup - and yes you are right the people I know are the people I adore and are there for me always. x

sigh, one day Butterfly we will be able to speak out without any problems whatsoever - I hope x
    Jazzmaraz wrote: »
    sigh, one day Butterfly we will be able to speak out without any problems whatsoever - I hope x

I hope so too. In the meantime, if you ever need to vent or chat about anything then we're here for you *hug*
    How do I speak out. What exactly do I say??

I'm so scared of judgement... what happens if I get better or when I have to explain I don't have a "clinicall" diagnosis - what if people blame me for making it up?

I'm scared.
    Hey,

I just wanted to add a link to our article on talking about your mental health in case you haven't seen it: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/how-to-talk-about-your-mental-health-5622.html

It's got some useful tips around preparing for the conversation and only sharing what you feel ready for as well as dealing with different reactions.

:)