Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How and who do I complain to about jobcentre & DWP?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everytime I have applied for benefits (DLA twice and ESA once) I have been refused and have had to go to tribunal, and the ruling has been overturned in my favour. This is 3 times in almost as many years, no matter how much information I send them it seems to happen. My mother has had a worse time of it, she was kept nearly 6 months before she was given any ESA (she has ME) and consistantly gets given the wrong information over the phone. I also seem to keep getting the wrong information over the phone, and I've not had any extra money for my partner since December - despite weekly (now daily) phone calls, going between 2 different departments. I've been wrongly called in to a compliance meeting due to an admin error on their part, and I'm just living my life in fear of them making a snap change and taking my money away. Its causing me, my partner and my mother complete upheaval and huge amounts of stress. They seem to have no understanding of fluctuating conditions, and the decision makers seem to think they know conditions better than medical professionals.

Who/how do I complain to about the DWP and the jobcentre?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Miss Riot,

Really sorry to hear you've had so much hassle claiming benefits and that you've had to go to the Tribunal several times.

I have found this information about complaining about the DWP - https://www.gov.uk/complain-jobcentre-plus
    It seems as though the first step is to contact your local JobCentre Plus to see if they can resolved the issue. They should try to respond in 15 working days.

If you are not happy with their response you can take your complaint to the Direct General of Operations for the DWP. They also try to deal with complaints in 15 working days.

If your complaint is still not resolved you can ask the Independent Case Examiner to investigate and if you're still unhappy you can ask your MP to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

I would suggest putting everything in writing and asking for written responses so you have a record.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

:)
    I'd say in this case your MP might actually be a decent bet. It's not individual incompetence, it's a systematic failure in the welfare and benefits system.
    ^^ This

when i had trouble getting my housing benefit, 9 months it took, i went through the councils wanky complaints procedure- nothing. Contacted my MP and local councillors, got a phone call off benefit services then a back dated cheque 3 days later.
    I might go down that route then, although my wanky MP didn't even turn up for the gay marriage vote!

For instance - my advice worker used to be a decision maker for the DWP, and she said she thought I should get mid rate care and high rate mobility for DLA but instead I've been awarded low rate care again, even though my condition has gotten ten times worse, and I walk with a stick and sometimes use a wheelchair. But aparently that doesn't mean I qualify for any mobility component. ARGHHHHH!
    It has to be an MP complaint if your MP is not Tory.

There's no point wasting your breath with a complaint, the stock response is that their medical assessment shows x. We all know ATOS are cunts, but that's their reply.
    No he's a Lib dem thankfully.

They sent an ATOS dr out to do the medical and he asked questions that were entirely inappropriate for DLA (better for ESA).
    Can you request a second medical? I have friends who have appealed successfully, I'll see if they would be prepared to talk to you about it.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Can you request a second medical? I have friends who have appealed successfully, I'll see if they would be prepared to talk to you about it.

Even if they do piccolo the fact missriot gets the run around every single time is a clear indicator the system is not fit for purpose. It has one mandate and that's to reduce the benefits bill.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Even if they do piccolo the fact missriot gets the run around every single time is a clear indicator the system is not fit for purpose. It has one mandate and that's to reduce the benefits bill.

I agree. But the point here and now is to try and get MissR help.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I agree. But the point here and now is to try and get MissR help.

Yea what I meant was that her MP might be able to light some fires if she is just being fobbed off continuously.
    Our AY MP is Tory, but he does help on issues like this. Hope yours can do something for you Miss Riot.
    Trouble is that ATOS and the decision makers are following policy. Complaining is a waste of time as the appeals procedure is what you need to use to get a decision changed.
    I'm going through the appeals process anyway but I want to complain about the process anyway. I've gone through pretty stressful things but this is making a crappy condition and situation even worse.