Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any fellow "gym rats" here?

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    HIT wrote:
    But I remember before I used to go gym I would have to see the DR because the pains I'd get in my wrists and knees. Then I started going, and the pain stopped.

I get pains in my wrist, sometimes it follows me to the gym and effects me chest pressing, i just put up with it now although some weeks im fine.
    Addict wrote:
    Gym goers: it is a well established scientific fact, that the biggest Muscle Mary in the gym will be the guy who keeps his shorts on in the shower.

Why?

Edit: That grunting video is well funny, thats the most insane rule i have ever heard
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    Gym goers: it is a well established scientific fact, that the biggest Muscle Mary in the gym will be the guy who keeps his shorts on in the shower.
    I dont have a shower in the gym, I have one when I get home. The showers in the gym haven't got hot water since 2004.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    I get pains in my wrist, sometimes it follows me to the gym and effects me chest pressing, i just put up with it now although some weeks im fine.

Why?

Edit: That grunting video is well funny, thats the most insane rule i have ever heard
    Have you tried supplementing your diet with fish oil? It helps alot with the joints.

The man in the end ended up taking them to court, I couldnt find the video. Only Americans would have such a thing. ;)
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Have you tried supplementing your diet with fish oil? It helps alot with the joints.

No i haven't tried that although i did know it can help. I also get a stiff left elbow quite frequently off my gear so maybe i should get some fish oils down H&B.

Theres a new fitness shop where i live now, sells lots of supplements better than H&B, need to have a proper browse in their and see if there is anything worth picking up.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    No i haven't tried that although i did know it can help. I also get a stiff left elbow quite frequently off my gear so maybe i should get some fish oils down H&B.

Theres a new fitness shop where i live now, sells lots of supplements better than H&B, need to have a proper browse in their and see if there is anything worth picking up.
    The gear should be lubricating you joints through water retention. What are you running anyway?

Fuck H&B most of there stuff is overpriced. I order some supps from bb.com because of the currency, it works out almost half price, if you patient enougth to wait up to 2 weeks to receive your order its worth it.

I also order fish oil, protein shakes from www.myprotein.co.uk as everything there is ridiculously cheap.

What shop has opened near you? A GNC?
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    The gear should be lubricating you joints through water retention. What are you running anyway?

Fuck H&B most of there stuff is overpriced. I order some supps from bb.com because of the currency, it works out almost half price, if you patient enougth to wait up to 2 weeks to receive your order its worth it.

I also order fish oil, protein shakes from www.myprotein.co.uk as everything there is ridiculously cheap.

What shop has opened near you? A GNC?

Just Test E got another 4 weeks left, i think it only really kicked in on week 6-7. Im bumping up 2Kg's every week with the dumb bells should be chest pressing 40 Kg bells in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. Maybe its something else giving me stiff joints, i'l try the oil.

As for the shop, i have only seen it briefly and cant remember the name but i will get back to you on that.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Just Test E got another 4 weeks left, i think it only really kicked in on week 6-7. Im bumping up 2Kg's every week with the dumb bells should be chest pressing 40 Kg bells in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. Maybe its something else giving me stiff joints, i'l try the oil.

As for the shop, i have only seen it briefly and cant remember the name but i will get back to you on that.
    Thats why people get injured on cycle, they increase the weight to much for there joints to handle. But 2kg seems sane enougth. Long estered test can kick in anywhere from 3-6 week.

It may just be a coincidence from the cold weather. Or simply growing pains.

If I was you I would buy elbow supports and especially knee supports, if I never had knee supports I think I would be in a wheel chair. Whilst picking up fish oil, get extra antioxidants, they will aid in joint pressure.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    The gear should be lubricating you joints through water

Yeah I get my stuff from there it's good value and as you say most of it is much cheaper than any of the things you find at H&B or places like that.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Thats why people get injured on cycle, they increase the weight to much for there joints to handle. But 2kg seems sane enougth. Long estered test can kick in anywhere from 3-6 week.

It may just be a coincidence from the cold weather. Or simply growing pains.

If I was you I would buy elbow supports and especially knee supports, if I never had knee supports I think I would be in a wheel chair. Whilst picking up fish oil, get extra antioxidants, they will aid in joint pressure.

I'l buy some more stuff on the weekend and see how i get on.
  • Options
    red88 wrote:
    Yeah I get my stuff from there it's good value and as you say most of it is much cheaper than any of the things you find at H&B or places like that.
    Take MP.co.uk fish oil for example. H&B is £30, MP is £15.

I wish I spent years before looking around for cheaper products, it would have saved me a hell of alot of money.
  • Options
    Yeah im glad I stumbled across the site, i've only ordered some wpc from there as im skint at the moment, will look at some of the other stuff when I eventually get access to a full gym. All seems really good value though and they are quick shipping your items.
  • Options
    If people here like me arnt going out tonight. Worlds Strongest Man is on channel 5. :cool:
  • Options
    * jumps up and down* i do i do i do (i know a bit late!)

well i used to! i REALLY need to go! i stopped since october because ive had music college auditions in nov and december, and in october i stopped because i had an opertion! but i miss it SO much. All my muscles feel really tight and unused!
  • Options
    I've been going about 3-4 times a week for around the last 8 months.
    I havent been in a little over a week though (too busy) - i feel like crying, im just dying to go so bad! :(
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I've been going about 3-4 times a week for around the last 8 months.
    I havent been in a little over a week though (too busy) - i feel like crying, im just dying to go so bad! :(
    If my gym was open on xmas, I would go then.
  • Options
    I go to the gym quite a bit, about 3 or 4 times a week if I'm not busy. You wouldn't tell from looking at me though!

I don't weightlift although I do use some 2 kilo weights for my arms.

You know what I find gross, women with long hair who don't tie it back at the gym. (I go to an all women gym so no men to perve on sadly).
  • Options
    me = obsessed

I really was hoping to have nailed 120k bench press by now but due to problems at home followed nicely by injury, I have taken a step backwards ! lol
  • Options
    me = obsessed

I really was hoping to have nailed 120k bench press by now but due to problems at home followed nicely by injury, I have taken a step backwards ! lol
    I took about a years worth of training backwards when I had a lay off due to injuries. You will bounce back.
  • Options
    yay! Got to go the gym at last yesterday and have been again today...and i've got an induction at a new gym tommorrow that has better equipment! Yay! :D
  • Options
    Im looking to my lay off next week. lol
  • Options
    I did 3 sessions last week and 1 today at the local chav gym, just been doing cardio and some light machine lifts and dips/chins

They have an adjustable cable stack in one of the gyms I may use that as its basically free weights.. Can't wait to get back under a bar and SQUAT though!!!!!!
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but what are your opinions on supplements and training.
    I've read so much and its a bit confusing tbh.
    From what i understand the best course of action for putting on muscle and toning in general is to take protein about an hour before training then take creatine 20 mins before mixed with a sports drink (for carbs) and then just creatine about 20 mins after followed by protein again within an hour of finishing training?

Oh and HIT, i think just got your name haha, probably everyone else already knew but i didnt.. (High Intensity Training?)
  • Options
    I would use the gym if it were free, seeing as it's not, I don't. Used to use teh one at uni, I even payed for my membership the first term, until I realised that noone ever checked the cards...
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I go regurarly... unless I have class, have my period, am too hungry, ate too much, have an owie anywhere. :p

so, never? just say it :D

I will start soon, because a friend has been to a monastery for a few days and his enlightenment really seems to be to go lifting. He said he def needs a partner for that.

His aunt pays the fees. Who am I to decline to that?
    Luckily it's only 28 euros each semester, so it's ok.
  • Options
    I know :p THough it is a perfect people watching place. Weirdos galore. Though this chick with huge implants that used to work out, she always wore just a sports bra on top, she'd go round and talk to the ugliest men. She wasn't bad looking, quite nice really, she must have had low self esteem or something for who she was hitting on. Havn't seen her in months, maybe she finally found her prince charming.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I know :p THough it is a perfect people watching place. Weirdos galore. Though this chick with huge implants that used to work out, she always wore just a sports bra on top, she'd go round and talk to the ugliest men. She wasn't bad looking, quite nice really, she must have had low self esteem or something for who she was hitting on. Havn't seen her in months, maybe she finally found her prince charming.

you could've really told me a few months earlier!!
  • Options
    I take a creatine drink 30 minutes after a workout, then wait between 30mins-1 hour and take a protein shake. Do not take the two together within a close time range as the creatine reduces absorbtion of the protein, at least im sure it is that.

Luckily i have found a decent place to get supplements cheap as it can dent my wallet at times, got to train really hard now in time for the summer :D
  • Options
    i pay £20 a month to go to a gym near me. i figured i'd go at least twice a week anyway so paying monthly was cheaper. that includes going to classes etc but i haven't been to any yet! i did book myself in for a few but this was when i was really suffering with my stomach problems and ended up not attending them. i found that being poorly really limited how much i went and some weeks i only went once, if not at all. they have opened a new suite there now so are doing more classes - including ones in the day time which i'm more likely to go to. now i'm feeling a bit better i'll try and go 3 times a week and then to a class a week. depends how busy i am though. :)
  • Options
    i pay £20 a month to go to a gym near me. i figured i'd go at least twice a week anyway so paying monthly was cheaper. that includes going to classes etc but i haven't been to any yet! i did book myself in for a few but this was when i was really suffering with my stomach problems and ended up not attending them. i found that being poorly really limited how much i went and some weeks i only went once, if not at all. they have opened a new suite there now so are doing more classes - including ones in the day time which i'm more likely to go to. now i'm feeling a bit better i'll try and go 3 times a week and then to a class a week. depends how busy i am though. :)
    It is quite hard to muster up the determination and energy to go for the first few weeks but after that it becomes so addictive!
  • Options
    Ive started going again :D feeling better about myself now!

I generally only go once a week - but it is exam period at the moment! ill probably start going 2 or 3 times a week after exams. But its cheap and Im not out of pocket even if i do only go once a week.