Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Perhaps this should be in Politics and Debate. Feel free to move it, etc.

I noticed earlier that in the homosexual marriage thread (in politics and debate) I wasn't the only one to react to the use of the word "queer". In some contexts it seems acceptable, like if gay people are using it, but in others it's so derogatory. Like "dyke" or "fag". I mean, I will fairly comfortably call myself a dyke and I will take it from my friends when they mean it affectionately but if it's intended as an insult I am furious.

Do other people feel this way about certain adjectives? Am I just rambling as usual?!

Picc.
xxx

Comments

• Options
    Re: Labels
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I mean, I will fairly comfortably call myself a dyke and I will take it from my friends when they mean it affectionately but if it's intended as an insult I am furious.
    Yes you can take it from friends because you know that they are not being insulting. For a stranger to say 'queer' its just their uneducatedness (is that a word lol) and they are not using it in a joking way.
  • Options
    The guy who lives below me always calls me a "fuckin' wee fag" when he sees me, but I don't really give a shit.

I just laugh stuff like that off.
  • Options
    a puff is a puff ...a ****** is a ******! whats the problem? whatever we are in life brings labels ...it's up to you wether you see them as derogatory or not.
    the gay festival in manchester is billed as ...nowt as queer as folk'
    so why shouldn't i be able to use such terms? get over it. i dont go round talking about my sexuality and/or my sexual prefferences so why should gay people ...often ...all the friggin time! if you want to talk about what i see as private ...quite publicly ...expect flack!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    a puff is a puff ...a ****** is a ******! whats the problem? whatever we are in life brings labels ...it's up to you wether you see them as derogatory or not.
    the gay festival in manchester is billed as ...nowt as queer as folk'
    so why shouldn't i be able to use such terms? get over it. i dont go round talking about my sexuality and/or my sexual prefferences so why should gay people ...often ...all the friggin time! if you want to talk about what i see as private ...quite publicly ...expect flack!
    why on gods earth is the word f.a.ggot banned!? strange pc world we live in ...
  • Options
    I have gay friends and hey say queer I say it too. I seen it in the thread in question and I thought it untactful. I think it depends on how the word is used and how the person is wanting it to mean. If its meant to be insulting it is, if its no then where is the problemo?
  • Options
    At the end of the day they are only words, and so its not really the words that people have problems with but rather the context in which they appear to be used in
  • Options
    the pc brigade are turning people into soft vulnerable shites!
    whatever happened to ...'sticks and stones will break my bones'.
    no wonder we live in a world of solicitors chasing ambulances ...'claim claim claim ...you hurt your toe!
    some of you will be seeking legal damages becuase someone hurt your fucking feelings before long.
  • Options
    Re: Labels
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I mean, I will fairly comfortably call myself a dyke and I will take it from my friends when they mean it affectionately but if it's intended as an insult I am furious.

Wow, always thought you were a guy :eek2:

Anyway, I would completely say that it is intention in how the word is used that winds people up. Personally I don't use it malischiously, but I still call my lesbian friends 'sister fisters', 'rug munchers' and 'dyke-ologists' and my gay friends 'poofs', 'bati-boys' and 'rump-raiders'. It can be funny if used in the right context.
  • Options
    if some big skinhead nazi thug calls you names ...panic!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Labels
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Yes you can take it from friends because you know that they are not being insulting. For a stranger to say 'queer' its just their uneducatedness (is that a word lol) and they are not using it in a joking way.

:yes:
  • Options
    what worries me is the kind of society we are building. the kind of things we accept as being good for us.
    we have survielance cameras everywhere ...watching us, why ...becuase we don't trust each other anymore. we might rob or stab people. identity cards coming with your finger prints on them, your picture, your eyeball scan, your dna ...treated like criminals ...and a criminal you will be if you go out into your own streets without this little permit to walk around your own town ...your own country! jesus and his little shed full of animals banned from charity shops ...in case it offends another religion! now we are being told what words we can say and not say to each other or to describe things.
    it's like something from a bad sci-fi film ...and here we all are accepting it.
    how long will it be before the curfews ..."oh they are a good thing realy mrs jones ...you can go out on mondays and saturdays ...the people on the other side of town won't be allowed out on those days" ...far fetched? well all the above stuff would have sounded friggin far fetched a few years ago.
  • Options
    If youre going to be offended by something it should be the emotions and views behind those words. You can be fine with homosexuality and call somebody a dyke/queer because those are the words you are used to hearing in association with a person of that sexuality. Or, you can be homophobic and use those words, its the view of the person that matters (if you are going to be offended) not a word they use to describe you.

But, tbh, i couldnt give a flying fuck what strangers think of me, regarding my sexuality, drug use (the word junky gets used a lot in referrence to me :confused: ) music taste (bass head), style (hoodrat - just because i like to dress comfortably at college in tracksuits!!!), i dont care what names im given. People feel the need to label others so let them!

in my opinion :)
  • Options
    Most of the time I refer to them as gay but I do refer to them as queers or poofs. Not being abusive, it's just what I call them.

Why should you be offended? It's not like it's a bad swear word. Maybe if someone calls you an effin queer then yeah. But just refering to you or someone as queer... sounds a bit silly to get worked up over, I mean you can always ignore them huh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Maybe if someone calls you an effin queer then yeah. But just refering to you or someone as queer... sounds a bit silly to get worked up over, I mean you can always ignore them huh?
    That's kinda what I mean. Frankly I'm not too fussed about what the person in question calls me but it's interesting how the context can totally change our response to things.

Mr. Roll, I am not the sort of person who would sue because someone hurt my feelings - but I do see what you're getting at. The world is mad for political correctness when it's not always necessary.