Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

winmx

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
k, im new to this whole downloading music thing, but we've just got broadband in so im trying to make a cd, ive downloaded a few tracks off winmx, but im just wondering can u only do one at a time or can u download several at a time? and how do you which tracks are better quality. i dont really know much about the program but it seems simple to use so i've just went ahead and started downloading! anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Options
    You can download as many as you wish I think. Once you got one download going just go back to your search screen and click on another tune to download.

Look 3 across from the file name of your MP3 and it will say bitrate. The bitrate you select will determine how large the MP3 file is, as well as the level of sound quality the MP3 file will contain.

So say if you choose an MP3 with say a bitrate of 320 that will then mean the sound quality will be a lot better than if you choose an MP3 with a bitrate of say 112. Anything over 128 bitrate will be ok. As you got broadband you might as well choose a file of a highest bitrate.

Hope that helps. :)

Take a look at this website it's all about WinMX.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan
  • Options
    Re: winmx
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    k, im new to this whole downloading music thing, but we've just got broadband in so im trying to make a cd, ive downloaded a few tracks off winmx, but im just wondering can u only do one at a time or can u download several at a time? and how do you which tracks are better quality. i dont really know much about the program but it seems simple to use so i've just went ahead and started downloading! anyone got any tips?

WinMX is a load of bollocks use Kazaa Lite www.kazaa-lite.tk or www.k-lite.tk i can't remember which one it is so try both, and you can download as many as you want at the same time. Also when using it, it should show you the bitrate for each song, the higher the bitrate the better the quality of the song. I think a bitrate of 192 is CD quality and don't get any lower then 112
  • Options
    Kazza is total shite. WINMX is like Napster used to be back in the day.. Looks might not be everything but it easy to use and does what you want it to.

You get more virus' on the network that Kazza uses.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm you're the first person i've come across who prefers WINMX O_o *Goes off to download it and give it another chance*
  • Options
    Scarlett, I use Winmx too.

A bitrate of 128 is somewhere between tape and CD quality.

A bitrate of 192 and above is CD.

If downloads are slow, leave the program running overnight and you'll tend to find that they have successfully completed in the morning.

In the speed and status columns, avoid anything that is red if you can. If you have no choice, then click on the red ones and they should be sorted in due time.

Winmx is the nearest alternative to the famous Napster that ruled music downloads 4 years ago. I use Napster/Winmx for downloading mp3s of what I already legally had on tape.

Oh, and a lot of white label too.
  • Options
    would someone give me a link for WinMX?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    would someone give me a link for WinMX?

www.winmx.com

:yeees:

Google it next time, lazy git. :D
  • Options
    Anyone know if there's a way to get onto the winmx network from behind a network firewall? It's really bugging me that I can't download any music now I'm at uni. Kazza doesn't work either cos of the same reason, but I do prefer winmx anyways.
  • Options
    I prefer winmx too. I used Kazza once, and urgh, it just annoyed the hell outta me.
  • Options
    Kazbo, what kind of firewall is it? Also you might wanna try the links below.

try these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/firewalls.html
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/routers.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    Kazbo, what kind of firewall is it? Also you might wanna try the links below.

try these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/firewalls.html
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/routers.html

I don't know. I'm living in Halls and so accesss the internet via the halls network. Is there a way I can find out what type of firewall they have running?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    Anyone know if there's a way to get onto the winmx network from behind a network firewall? It's really bugging me that I can't download any music now I'm at uni. Kazza doesn't work either cos of the same reason, but I do prefer winmx anyways.

Kaz, I'm behind a firewall too.

When you run Winmx, make observations on the starting "networks" page where you see that traffic light. Below that light are two radio buttons. One says "primary connection" and the other one says "secondary connection". If you're firewalled, you need to select the secondary one, and then try connecting again. When the traffic light goes from red-yellow then to green, you know that you're connected successfully.
  • Options
    I wouldn't use Kazaa or any other P2P program any more as most networks are being monitored due to the heavy downloading especially for mp3's , videos, etc, etc.

Most people using P2P especially Kazaa are being sued whether they paid for their service or not. Piracy is extremely illegal wether you own a copy of X or not.

I didn't think The Site likes you to promote illegal activites?
  • Options
    I used Napster and Winmx to get what I already had on tape, plus some white label.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Kaz, I'm behind a firewall too.

When you run Winmx, make observations on the starting "networks" page where you see that traffic light. Below that light are two radio buttons. One says "primary connection" and the other one says "secondary connection". If you're firewalled, you need to select the secondary one, and then try connecting again. When the traffic light goes from red-yellow then to green, you know that you're connected successfully.

I've tried that./..doesn't work.....traffic light never changes from red...Pretty sure it's summat to do with the ports but I don't know enough about networks and the likes to sort it.