Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long do strong feelings take to go away?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You know the sort of feeling, it's not love, but it still can cause you pain.

Say if you can't have this person and you know that and your trying to move on but every time you think you've made headway something outside your control happens and throws you all the way back to the start.

Surely if I know I can't have this person logic should intervene and make the feelings go away!!:eek2:

Well, that's what would happen in an ideal world anyway.

So, back to my first question. How long did it take you to get over a person you liked?

Comments

• Options
    I'm still trying my hardest to lose the feelings, and considering my current prediciment, the sooner the better!
  • Options
    Re: How long do strong feelings take to go away?

• Options
    Re: Re: How long do strong feelings take to go away?
    Originally posted by candy
    But if I had to face him every day like I used to, i'd be shite.

Just like moi. :yes:

It's a pain. I was told a week back he fancied me. But he pulls a wee shiney midget.

And now he fancies her, and me being the jealous type, got drunk and made a tit of myself toward him. :banghead:

Silly me. And..silly boy.

But alas, behind moi.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless

So, back to my first question. How long did it take you to get over a person you liked?

Fuckin' ages mate. I don't know if I really class myself as being over her, because she was my first and like really special.

That kind of thing always stays with you, even if it is just a tiny wee part of you. See it as something that gradually gets smaller, but don't feel guilty if you still think she's there somewhere inside your heart (sorry to sound cheesy :p)

I think you just end up moving on with your life, it just happens naturally :)
  • Options
    That kind of thing always stays with you, even if it is just a tiny wee part of you. See it as something that gradually gets smaller, but don't feel guilty if you still think she's there somewhere inside your heart (sorry to sound cheesy )

You're right there, it'll still be there laying dormant, you just have to learn to control it.

These feelings have an awful habbit of poping back up when you think they are gone. Not thinking about it is one of the damn hardest things here, so what you gotta do is find something else to do to keep you're mind off of it.

As for my feelings, they are dormant, I know with one little push they could fire off like a stray rocket... Just gotta find the will power you know!
  • Options
    It can take ages. Depends upon how intense, how long, and how the relationship ended. Some relationships have taken me a good 18 months to get over. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Fuckin' ages mate. I don't know if I really class myself as being over her, because she was my first and like really special.

That kind of thing always stays with you, even if it is just a tiny wee part of you. See it as something that gradually gets smaller, but don't feel guilty if you still think she's there somewhere inside your heart (sorry to sound cheesy :p)

I think you just end up moving on with your life, it just happens naturally :)

definatly right there....... with out a doubt.
  • Options
    It took me about a year to get over my first proper boyfriend.
    I still care about him, but it helps not seeing him. If i had the choice to see him every week or so i'd say no, cos i just dnt want to go back there.

And with my most recent....who knows how long its gonna take, its all a matter of time me dear. you'll get there in the end.
    I found that listing (in your head) all there bad points helps you to move on slightly.
  • Options
    As long as it takes you to get drunk, mate. :)

Hope it gets sorted.
  • Options
    Took me a while to figure out he was a tosser who uses people so not too sure :) I think it's the can't have so want more syndrome.
  • Options
    I found that even after the feelings went away, or i thought they did, everyone and again id get a twang of pain.
  • Options
    I recon a good couple of months, more probably if you see the person on a regular basis - especially if your still on speaking terms.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    As long as it takes you to get drunk, mate. :)

Trust you to say that! :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    I think this matter will come to a halt on it's own. I am glad I am not alone in these feelings and I guess it's one of those things you have to learn to cope with in life.

As long as it takes you to get drunk, mate.
    I concur, it does help you! (not sure my liver will agree with me!):D
  • Options
    Ya, but ermmm dont be supprised if they take YEARS :blush: Mine still aint gone, iv been out with other girls and been "inlove" shall we say with other girls too however the feelings i have for 1 girl have been the strongest for EVER, more than ANY other girl i ever been out with and anything like that since hmmm year 8 iv liked this girl and if i was still attending skool id be in year 13 now :rolleyes: soo ermmm sometimes ya just gota bite the bullet and be like whatever and just get on with life arhghhh o well.... *mumbles to self and walks off*
  • Options
    About a year mate. Like someone else said, she still has a special place in you but I'm over her as much as I'll ever be and to a point where it hasn't stopped me liking someone else and going out with them. It's damned hard but you just have to put yourself out there again.
  • Options
    this might jus be a personal thing mate but iv usually found that the feelings dont really start to go until someone else comes into your life where you click, it becomes easier then and as the old chesnut goes 'time is a great healer'

Peaceout
  • Options
    Originally posted by EssexBoy
    this might jus be a personal thing mate but iv usually found that the feelings dont really start to go until someone else comes into your life where you click, it becomes easier then and as the old chesnut goes 'time is a great healer'

Peaceout
    I'd agree that time is a healer. It's what this thread is about.
    And I'd agree that meeting someone new helps you get over your ex a hell of a lot quicker. ....Unless it's on the rebound, and you're still not able to get over your ex, and always drawing comparisons, etc. That can lead to more heartache when you screw up the new relationship too. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    However long it takes to jump into bed with someone else.
  • Options
    Thats a bit wrong lacy may, you can still jump into bed with other people and still have feeligns for some1 else. iv been doin it for ages and im sure someother people will agree, as im sure im not the only person thats done it....am i?:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mrmint666
    Thats a bit wrong lacy may, you can still jump into bed with other people and still have feeligns for some1 else. iv been doin it for ages and im sure someother people will agree, as im sure im not the only person thats done it....am i?:confused:

Yeah but its Harmless we're talking about here :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mrmint666

i agree with you there sean.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Yeah but its Harmless we're talking about here :)

I don't intend to jump into bed with any girl any time soon. Next week shall be interesting. Back at work and I'll be seeing her again.

It's going to be difficult seeing her everyday but I am sure I have it in me to get over her. Its not like I didn't know it wouldn't end like this. She told me before we started it that I shouldn't fall for her. She underestimated me and thought she'd really hurt me. Foolish woman!:p

I am not looking for a rebound girl for reasons stated by Mr_Wobble, I am going to stay single and try find a girl closer to my own age and see how that works out.

Wow, I have a plan of action. All I can do is hope that I don't make a complete fool of myself infront of her when I'm drunk! :o
  • Options
    depends on the individual - there's no set rule for the time it takes to get over someone.

me? bleah, 1 year and 8 months :mad:

it'd help if i wasn't a paranoid, jealous moo head :mad: :impissed:

and that I didn't have to see him every weekend...

and that he didn't piss me around...:mad: :mad: