Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prison officers Party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Prison officers guarding some of Britains most notorious killers are to have a Christmas party costing £15.000 at the tax payers expense.
Bosses at Frankland Jail near Durham City have defended this decision even after criticism from some of their own staff. The prison is having the party which is to be paid for out of the prisons budget. They will visit a very nice hotel The Ramside Hall which is to cost £29.50 per person and will consist of a meal, cabaret and a disco.
I think this is appauling. I dont begrudge anyone parties but to go to this expense is disgraceful. In our area there are many places they could have held this party at a fraction of the cost. There was no need to have this christmas function in one of the better hotels in the area.
Complete and utter waste of taxpayers money !!!!!
We are told prisons need refurbing, we are told prisons need more equipment well its no wonder they run out of money when £15.000 of their budget has been spent on staff.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I think we can all guess who was eating the finest foods and who was eating the value foods ;)
  • Options
    Re: Prison officers Party
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    They will visit a very nice hotel The Ramside Hall which is to cost £29.50 per person and will consist of a meal, cabaret and a disco.

£29.50 per person isn't very much, give them a break, would you like to be guarding some of the country's worst scum day in day out?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Prison officers Party
    Originally posted by dantheman
    £29.50 per person isn't very much, give them a break, would you like to be guarding some of the country's worst scum day in day out?

I could find them a place just as nice as that for at least £10 per person cheaper than they have paid.
    £15.000 and you think its ok ? They get paid for doing their job just like everyone else. That money is coming out of tax payers money, if they had gone for something cheaper then I would not have complained.
    Are you from the North East ? Do you know the hotel in question ? Do you know any other venues in this area where they could have got the same things much cheaper ? I can answer YES to all these questions......can you ?
  • Options
    If it was a private prison, and the meal was paid for by, say, Group Four, would you complain?

I personally dont see a huge problem with it, I bet Durham County Council spends more than that on biscuits in a year for starters.

£15,000 isnt really a lot of money.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Prison officers Party
    They get paid for doing their job just like everyone else. That money is coming out of tax payers money,

1. Ask yourself how many companies will be laying on a "do" for their staff this year.

2. Ask yourself where the money comes from - it will be the general public in the end.

What is the difference?

BTW Having just tried to arrange to a Bash for our team here, I'd have to say that £29.50 is the standard cost.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

£15,000 isnt really a lot of money.

It is a lot when you have not got it. Money in all areas is tight and yet they can find £15.000 for a christmas party.
    Why have it at The Ramside Hall which is one of the dearer places ? Why could they not have gone to somewhere like Whitworth Hall who have party nights with meal and disco for £20. The Spa Hotel christmas party nights with 5 course dinner and disco till late £16.95 ? These are just two I have found in my local free paper so they are just examples.

For people in the South you have to understand in our area you can go to a decent hotel for at least £10 cheaper, were you are yes probably you are talking £30 for a Christmas night out, but here you dont have to spend that amount to have a good night out in a decent hotel.

Also the last factory my hubby was at he got a turkey and a bottle of cheap wine :eek2:
  • Options
    £15,000 really is neither hither nor thither when it comes to the budgets of these large institutions Becky.

The cost of running Frankland Prison will be comfortably over £3million pa, £15,000 for a Christmas do isnt really going to make any difference to the budget.

And your hubbys factory will have done that because they are tightwads, not because they couldnt afford it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    £15,000 really is neither hither nor thither when it comes to the budgets of these large institutions Becky.

Well then all I can say is the Governer is not a very good houskeeper, they should employ me !!
    I could have arranged a brilliant night out for them lot and even gave them spending money and would not have paid £29.50 per person.
    My hubbys firm was a German firm, say no more ;)
  • Options
    It is a lot when you have not got it. Money in all areas is tight and yet they can find £15.000 for a christmas party.

As you said, these people are responsible for looking after some of the most dangerous people in the country.

Is it really too much to ask for us to offer them something as a "bonus" for the crap they will put up with on a regular basis.

Yes, they get paid for doing the job, but £29.5 is a snip if you improve morale amongst your staff. low staff morael bring high levels of sickness and high turnover of staff. The cost implication of that would far exceed the £15k you are talking about.

In part I agree with you that this is public money, but at the end of the day so is the money that would be spent on recruitment and cover for sickness...
  • Options
    Re: Prison officers Party
    I dont begrudge anyone parties but to go to this expense is disgraceful.

My 1st post MoK, no I dont begrudge them a night out, im saying they could have saved money though not use more just because it was there.
    Which leads me on to my next theory heheh here we go :lol:
    If establishments like these,like the N.H.S, like local councils actually employed more people like myself (in spending depts)who have never really been well off , we have had to watch our pennies and scrimp and save then we would find ways of saving them money, then there would be a lot more money left over at the end of the year :D
  • Options
    they should all be in jail ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    they should all be in jail ...

well they are most of the time;)