Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Speeding Fines ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does it differ from area to area on what someone would get fined if they were caught speeding ?
In my local paper today A driver was caught doing 45mph over the speed limit. He was doing 115mph on the A66 which many people will be aware is a death trap anyway. He pleaded guilty to the offence and said "I was irresponsible and stupid to do that sort of speed".
Durham Magistrates Court in Darlington fined him £250, ordered to pay £35 costs and 6 points added to his licence.
Now would you agree this is pathetic ? what signal is that sending out to other stupid, irresponsible drivers?
I think he should have lost his licence for a short time, and a hefty fine. People will always speed, but theres speeding and theres also taking the mickey, he was doing 115mph on a very dangerous road, he put other road users at risk and he gets a gentle tap on the hand for doing it. I cannot understand why they were so lenient with him.

Comments

• Options
    It does depend on where he was doing 115mph, though. If he was doing it on Stainmore then I think a ban would have been on the verge of being unfair, but if he was doing it between Scotch Corner and Barnard Castle then he shouldnt be allowed in a car ever again.
  • Options
    It was Galley Bank at Barnard Castle. Im not familiar with that stretch of road althought no doubt I will have travelled that road but its the fact that he was doing 115mph which puts anyone on the road at the same time as him in danger, because one small mistake by him could cost me or you our life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    It was Galley Bank at Barnard Castle. Im not familiar with that stretch of road althought no doubt I will have travelled that road but its the fact that he was doing 115mph which puts anyone on the road at the same time as him in danger, because one small mistake by him could cost me or you our life.

Couldnt agree more- what I was meaning is that the dual carriageway over Stainmore is so quiet that its easy to do 115mph up there and be quite safe.

But from what it sounds like he shouldnt be allowed in a car ever again.
  • Options
    i always thought 100mph and above was an automatic ban from three months up ...obviously wrong.
  • Options
    I personally do not see why those that commit very serious driving offecnces eg serious enough to warrant a court hearing etc do not have their licenses revoked permanently.

This would make the roads safer and lower congestion?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Couldnt agree more- what I was meaning is that the dual carriageway over Stainmore is so quiet that its easy to do 115mph up there and be quite safe.

Although of course it is against the law however 'safe' it may seem to be !!

I hate this...'oh but its safe in some areas' attitude...it still doesn't make it any less legal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Although of course it is against the law however 'safe' it may seem to be !!

I hate this...'oh but its safe in some areas' attitude...it still doesn't make it any less legal.

The legality of it is not in discussion. The driver was convicted, therefore the fact that it is illegal has already been shown.

What Becky was pointing out was the leniency of the sentence. And I was saying that, as with any sentence, the severity of the crime, and the situation of the crime, should be taken into account. Driving at 80mph is illegal, but I am sure you would agree that the guy doing 80mph on a motorway shouldnt be punished in the same manner as the guy doing 80mph past a nursery school at 3.30pm.

Any sentence that is inflexible and mandatory is a bad sentence.
  • Options
    Don't you just love the british justice system:rolleyes:

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    If you sit a test, and pass the test that enables you to learn the law and then you break that law wilfully then you should expect a tough penalty!

If you risk killing a child outside a school at 3.30 or a driver on a motorway at midnight you should expect the law to deal with you!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Don't you just love the british justice system:rolleyes:

The trouble with making rash judgements like that is that you dont know what you are judging. You dont know the judge's reasoning, you don't know the facts of the case, so to make judgements without knowing is a bit pointless really.

If he was doing 115mph, and was 45mph over the limit, it means he was on a dual carriageway. On that road you can see for miles, it is straight, and I dont think that 115mph is recklessly dangerous on that road. Providing it was quiet.

It is illegal and he has been punished for it. I dont know the facts so I dont know if it is lenient or harsh, but I will agree with Mr Roll and say that I thought 100mph+ speeds brought a mandatory ban too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ah - I see

so its kind of like the difference between a sixteen yearold sleeping with an 11 year old and a 30 year old sleeping with an 11 year old.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The trouble with making rash judgements like that is that you dont know what you are judging. You dont know the judge's reasoning, you don't know the facts of the case, so to make judgements without knowing is a bit pointless really.

If he was doing 115mph, and was 45mph over the limit, it means he was on a dual carriageway. On that road you can see for miles, it is straight, and I dont think that 115mph is recklessly dangerous on that road. Providing it was quiet.

It is illegal and he has been punished for it. I dont know the facts so I dont know if it is lenient or harsh, but I will agree with Mr Roll and say that I thought 100mph+ speeds brought a mandatory ban too.

By making my comment I meant that I love the British justice system & how lovely a job of up holding the law it does.

I do agree that the minute you get clocked do 100mph+ then it is an automatic ban from driving for a year.

But if I was the person doing 114mph{which may be true @ the beginning of next year} then I would count my lucky stars & be glad of the fine & points. But then it wouldn't teach me a lesson because you have only been stung in the pocket & not had your driving rights removed which is a higher price to pay.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options