Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trade War between the US and EU.

Trade war with the US

I dont know how many of you heard about the new measures brought in by the US of late. Basicaly the US government has told American companies within the UK and other EU nations that they should pack up and move what jobs they have here back home. Any problems that the companies have doing this will be backed up by the government and there will be financial support for them to do this.

This truely is nuts, first they put into place illegal import duties onto steel to protect an industry that is so clearly dead within the US, then this. The EU has only threatened to put into place tarrifs onto imports from the US, but they surely will now and niether side will want to back down. Especialy the US because this is an election year and they wont want to loose even one job in the US. In fact bringing jobs back to US will be seen as a good thing.

This is another sign of how isolationist the US is becoming and if the government is going to try and bankroll companies there to protect itself then, well its a step further that just tarriffs. This type of policy will surely put even more distance between the US and the rest of the world and cause more problems.

Its truely a scarey time we are living in.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the EU doesn't make a stand against the imperialistic scumbags at the White House, who will?

Fuck it. Full trade embargo. We will suffer- but then so will they. We're in the right. They're not. And if it helps getting Bush kicked out of office next year, we will have done mankind a huge favour.
  • Options
    An all out trade war would just be nuts for both sides. Its not like the US hasnt tried it before with imported cars and lost.

Its more that it is a sign of the increasing isolation of the US which is the most worrying thing for me.
  • Options
    america can afford to be isolasionist. when it completes this inwaed turn fully ...it will rule not only the north american continent but the south american continent as well. with a fist of iron. it will have just about everything it needs ...and will be hoping we come crawling to them.
    i believe that china and europe are fast rising stars and will be the chief economies of the world very soon. america is strangling itself ...very dangerous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If the EU doesn't make a stand against the imperialistic scumbags at the White House, who will?

Fuck it. Full trade embargo. We will suffer- but then so will they. We're in the right. They're not. And if it helps getting Bush kicked out of office next year, we will have done mankind a huge favour.

We wont suffer as much as youd think, given 62% of our trade is with the EU, and anotehr 10-15% with former colonies.

The jobs could be an issue, but itd be interesting to see if it actually happens here. I dont think even Bush could afford to shaft Blair so publicly after Iraq, certainly not when we finally start the ERRF.
  • Options
    From what I heard it is happening here, or at least they are trying it on here the same as other countries.
  • Options
    companies like ford will go to the wall if they loose the european market. it is impoosible for such big companies to go back home and be expected to thrive on just the domestic market.
  • Options
    There is no way that the US could try and get back all the industrial production jobs that it has lost over the last 20-30 years. Same as the UK will never have full-blown industry here again. The econonics of it just dont work.

But, well they have enough money to throw at it while they try and win an election, and thats long enough to do serious damage.
  • Options
    Why not just ban McDonalds?

Not only would this be a signal but I really cannot see many people complaining about it either... ;)
  • Options
    It's pretty understandable though.
    When economy and employment rates are shit, you'd rather your own people got the work.

I imagine the UK to experience this as well.
    I know that Denmark are trying to find laws to prevent companies to move their factories to foreign countries as people here could use the jobs.

And either way, if it's the matter of office jobs they won't get far. They need the placements in Europe to promote the company.
  • Options
    It might be understandable if you are trying to win an election and all the things you have touched have turned to shite (the econony, iraq, afganistan) but its short-sighted, expencive and in the long-term will harm everyone.

Not only that but it will again confirm to those who dislike America that they are misusing their strength and that they dont care about international law.
  • Options
    I think a tit for tat trade war would be pretty pathetic really, both sides would suffer and so would the rets of the world, not their fault is it?

Better to put political and legal pressure on them.

How about threatening a trade war if Bush gets a second term?
    Give the democrats some more ammunition........