Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

expensive presents

I was just thinking about the amount some people will spend on individual presents. A post below someone was sayingt ehy wanted to spend up to £100 on their dad. My mum or dad would go mad if I spent that much on them. I could never afford to anyway. How much money would you spend on any individual person? Id say up to £5 or £10 for a friend (although im not actually buying for friends this year) maybe £15 for a neice or a nephew. £20 max for mum/ dad/ inlaws/ siblings. The only one ive spent a lot of money on is my littlun, and hes got a wooden garage from the early learning centre which was £40.
Hubbys not getting anything as he recently bought himself a new effects unit for his guitar for £180 so ive told him thats his christmas AND birthday present!

am I stingy? I think I spend quite a lot at christmas, but compared to some people its nothing.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I spent 99.95 on a phone for my Mum, she'd been wanting it for ages.

I'll probably buy her a microwave she's been wanting for a wee while for her Christmas. That'll be like..60 quid, plus wee gifts here and there..ooer. Yeah, £100 probably.

And my Dad, as well. He'll be getting £50 for Forbidden Planet, I'll reckon. And the Indiana Jones box set DVD thingy. So..yeah, £90.

Dunno what to get Rhonda: preggers sis. She'll probably get a head massage thing cause the baby's due in January. Aieee.

Dunno what to get my Bro in law. GAH. >:|

Edited to Add: My parents, sister and bro and law really only spash out on each other. Granpa and Aunts don't give a fuck, really. Even at birthdays. Been like that ever since I can remember.
  • Options
    I normally spend around £30-40 per person. Most of my ££ gets spent on Mini-Ninja now.

Although last year I spent £2500 on my folks. :eek: But that was a joint chrimbo pressie, 30th wedding anniversary, Mum's 50th B'Day pressie. :D

Paid for a hol for them. So they're in South Africa just now (I know took them almost the full year to decide where they wanted to go!). Safari last week and now they're scooting along the South Coast. They phoned me at work the other day from the top of Table Mountain. Bastards! :mad: ;)
  • Options
    the most i spent was about £90 on my sister for one bottle of purfume and that was last year i brought nothing this year so far.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well last year I probably spent around 400 quid or something, but this year I have about enough to buy everyone a brazil nut.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    :eek:

where the fuck do you lot get the money for all this?

Yes.

I'd say it makes me feel stingy, but it doesn't. :D
  • Options
    I spend around £400 on presents for about 5 people. A bit more if I see something really nice that I know someone would love. I also get lots spent on me from my family. We dont (apart from my grandparents) spend much on each other through the year so its nice to splash out every once a year :D
  • Options
    ill spend around £40 in total. it's my money afterall, and noone gets me presents :p
  • Options
    Well, I've just got my student loan through recently..sooo..I'm Mrs. Moneybags right now.

But, I ususally spend that anyways cause I work my fucking arse off at christmas and make like 220 quid a week..
  • Options
    I speand around £100 each on my mum, dad and little bro. Have done since I started working. Never thought nothing of it. I would spend lots more if I could though
  • Options
    I have a relatively big family, having some in-laws now too, so I spend a little less per person than I used to.

So I'll spend about 20 on each brother/sis etc about 100 on the mrs, and about 25 on my parents.
  • Options
    I guess it depends, now i have got a fair bit of money from working i can afford to spend more, but probably more so on my close friends/girlfriend than my parents.
    This year i spent about £150 on my girlfriend and about £40 quid each on my parents which is quite a bit i guess, but last year i had split up with my girlfriend so no need for a present then :p and my mum got chocolates and my dad a book cause i was a poor chappy. But when you have the money why not spend it :D
  • Options
    Can't afford to buy presents :(

My mates mum spends £150 on him @ christmas. Lucky boy.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    If you mean Christmas, I don't spend much. £5-£10 on my parents and sister, and about £5 on my close friends. Actually, I'll probably spend more on my boyfriend, up to £25 or so. I don't get many people presents though, but I like to give everyone cards just so they know I remembered them!

For birthdays it's about £10 for friends and family, a little more for my boyfriend, and a box of chocs or bottle of wine for someone I don't know so well, if I go to a party or something.

:)
  • Options
    Re: expensive presents
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    My mum or dad would go mad if I spent that much on them. I could never afford to anyway.

:yes: same here. I wanted to buy my mum this better than you formally find footspa, some posh perfume she likes and a dvd of chicago. Didnt tell her my intentions, but she said shed like a dvd of chicago (i had a good idea anyway) and she said if i spent any more money on her than that shed kill me!!!

my family and boyfriend dont like me spending a lot of money on them because they feel guilty as they know i dont have much. My fella would be happy with a shag for xmas tbh ;) I know that my fella spent £100 on my valentines pressie and i loved it but i felt so upset hed spent so much. Theyd all feel the same. Its tricky because we all love to spoil people and as much as we love to be spoiled most of us feel bad that somebody has spent that much money on us.