Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's The Most Expensive Thing You've bought and would Buy On The Internet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
And also what's the most expensive thing you've know someone else to spend on something on the internet? And do you think you're going to be spending bigger ad bigger amounts as the internet becomes more a part of everyday life?

Most expensive things I've bought is PC components like hard drives, Monitors, etc but always stuff backed up by a big manufacturer. I almost bought a £629 laptop last week for my uncle but in the end got better deal from PC World.

I've come across someone that spent like $600 on a replica of the Jack Sparrow out fit from that movie Pirates of The Caribbean off eBay.

But I'm wondering for example would people in the future for example buy a house off the internet, afterall they say the average person spends only 15 minutes viewing a house before deciding to buy it. I know when Hong Kong went back to China a lot of pople bought homes in Milton Keynes purely on the strength of a video the local council had done to attract buyers (or at least that's the story I heard).

Comments

• Options
    Books from Amazon - total about £50

Hair straighteners - £85

But I wouldn't buy v expensive things like laptops... I'd just rather do something like that face to face as it were in a shop, where I can see it and prod it and make sure it's real!
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Books from Amazon - total about £50

Hair straighteners - £85

But I wouldn't buy v expensive things like laptops... I'd just rather do something like that face to face as it were in a shop, where I can see it and prod it and make sure it's real!

Yeah that was sort of my concern with the lapto, ie if anything goes wrong with it - the whole problem with sending it back, although from experience I can tell you computer monitor companies I've delat with , Hansol, Mitsubishi have all been amazing, they bring you a new monitor and take the old one away. I find Korean companies to be espacially customer friendly.
  • Options
    I've bought about £500 worth of PC components online in one go, think that's about the max I would dare to pay.

I was tempted to buy a laptop online but I decided to actually go and buy one directly from a shop in town as I could have a quick go of it and make sure it met my demands and had everything I'd need. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Markeh
    I've bought about £500 worth of PC components online in one go, think that's about the max I would dare to pay.

I was tempted to buy a laptop online but I decided to actually go and buy one directly from a shop in town as I could have a quick go of it and make sure it met my demands and had everything I'd need. :)

I ordered a 19 inch monitor for a friend off the interneta nd asked the guy like 10 times are you sure you don't mean 17 inch? I even sent him the full specs and dimenions - then it arrived and he said it was bigger then he thought and he did indeed have a 17 inch monitor in mind!!! In the end he had to keep it and buy a new table to put it on!!! .. He loves it now though - his old monitor was only 14 inches and crappy.. in comparison to this one which is lovely and flat but very, very heavy and deep.

Of course if he'd seen it in the shop he'd probably have known it was very big!!
  • Options
    I bought a set of alloy wheels online, £670 they cost, thats the most I've ever spent online :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Glittery Vodka
    I bought a set of alloy wheels online, £670 they cost, thats the most I've ever spent online :eek:

Wow that's loads, but was it cheaper then buying from a shop or was it simply they had it in stock or convience factor?

Also you got a pic?? What car was it for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Wow that's loads, but was it cheaper then buying from a shop or was it simply they had it in stock or convience factor?

Also you got a pic?? What car was it for?
    It was purely convenience, it was going to take 14 weeks to get them from Halfords and this website we used had them on next day delivery so we got them off that, think it worked out about £100 more expensive though :eek:

The car is a Pug 306 and here's a piccie of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Glittery Vodka
    It was purely convenience, it was going to take 14 weeks to get them from Halfords and this website we used had them on next day delivery so we got them off that, think it worked out about £100 more expensive though :eek:

The car is a Pug 306 and here's a piccie of it.

That reminds me of this guy that was on TV he'll get you any sports car you want but charges a flipping heafty premium like he'll make £20,000 profit on a Ferrari, the difference being that with him you get it right away otherwise it's like a 1 or 2 year waiting list!!
  • Options
    hmm dont really buy off the net, only one thing really which was my dance mat&game which cost £23 together,not much. The most expensive thing ive bought recently is my hooch coat, which cost me £80.
  • Options
    em i bought my laptop for 650 off the net

bought my mate a camera for 300

got a pair of speakers for 130 gotta huge savign on em they were ment to be 350

and a minidisc deck for 250

ooo and my computer for 500

......i just realised i spend farrrrrrrrr too much money on the net

*cuts up switch card*
  • Options
    Well I guess you could say i bought my house on the net, as my mortgage is one of those internet things.

Yah.

So that's 75000 then.
  • Options
    Shitloads from Topman.

Including this funky wee black shirt :yes:
  • Options
    Re: What's The Most Expensive Thing You've bought and would Buy On The Internet?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    in the end got better deal from PC World.

Now there's words you don't hear very often in the same sentence. :p

Most I ever tend to buy is DVD's or the odd PS2 game. But that's cause my credit card is maxed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My boss from work ex spent £2500 on a Dell centrino laptop

I spent about £30-50 on games Dvd's and stuff.
  • Options
    Most expensive thing I ever bought was 5 tickets to the Gatecrasher Millenium NYE bash ..... total of £600 :eek:

Other than that it's all fairly reasonable amounts for DVD's, T-shirts and stuff like that ......
  • Options
    I bought a piece of Sphaerocobaltite for $60 a few years ago.
  • Options
    £3.5k on laptops (2 acer centrino ones)
    £4.5k holiday (although I bought it for my parents)

Don't think twice about buying anything on the internet as long as the retailer seems reputable (e.g. not fleabay).
  • Options
    Most expensive thing was my 19" monitor. That was just over three years ago, and it cost me £230 inc VAT & Delivery.
    It went wrong last Summer, but Belinea replaced it straight away. Picked up the old one, and dropped a new one off. Ok, the one they delivered had a flaw, but the replaced that within a few days. Ok, so the second replacement had a problem too, but they replaced that within a few more days. I'm still chuffed with the buy, the monitor, and their service, though. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ynox
    £3.5k on laptops (2 acer centrino ones)
    £4.5k holiday (although I bought it for my parents)

Don't think twice about buying anything on the internet as long as the retailer seems reputable (e.g. not fleabay).

£4500 on a holiday? where did you send them and for how long??
  • Options
    was for 4 of us for 3 weeks in naples fl and key west fl. Flights alone were £2500 :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by CookieMonster
    Most expensive thing I ever bought was 5 tickets to the Gatecrasher Millenium NYE bash ..... total of £600 :eek:

But the question is, was it worth it? :p

Most expensive thing I've bought off the internet was a £170 mp3 player from amazon.co.uk.

No problems so far. :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Markeh

Snap! I did this a couple of years ago as well. The delivery went fine, but one of the hard drives I ordered was dead on arrival. I just range the company up and had it swapped out. All-in-all, it ended well.