Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dangerous precedent?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Saw that on another board. What I find most disturbing is to see this taking place without intervention from the Federal German Government which was so adamantly opposed to much of what Bush and co stand for.

I guess even a supposed left wing government can't get past allowing for discrimination against the Muslim minority to score political points.
  • Options
    "Christian and Jewish symbols will not be banned."

So Jewish teachers can still wear a yarmulke and a christian teacher would I guess be allowed to wear a cross?
    I can grasp the reason for a ban on religious symbols but surely you would have to apply it across all religions???
  • Options
    well this goes straight to the top..

violates all sorts of fundamental freedoms..

I forsee unnecessary legal bills
  • Options
    This is really pathetic. I would be quite disgusted if this law was passed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheSovereign
    well this goes straight to the top..

violates all sorts of fundamental freedoms..

I forsee unnecessary legal bills

It doesnt actually violate any fundamental freedoms- employers can dictate whyat uniform and dress is acceptable, the ECHR does not cover it.

Though I do await with interest what Strasbourg will say about these laws.
  • Options
    I can't believe that people are banning religious symbols for some religions, but not others. As dantheman said, I would think it would have to be applyed to all religions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    I can't believe that people are banning religious symbols for some religions, but not others. As dantheman said, I would think it would have to be applyed to all religions.

The headscarves are not religious symbols, they are social symbols. Therefore no part of the ECHR applies, and the German state is free to do as it wishes.

It might not be morally acceptable, but legally it is fine.
  • Options
    Actually head coverings (i.e. scarves) are very much a principle facet of the religious beliefs and practices of religious Muslims. In some cases as with any religious practice be it Christian, Jewish or Muslim there will be those who are forced to observe the trappings against which the individual might protest but for the German government (or any government for that matter) to institute a law prohibiting it IS in fact a descriminatory infringement of the beliefs of a minority of the population.

The fact that no such prohibitions are being made against Christian or Jewish prectices, images, etc.. is, I would argue, an infringement of both religious and human rights.
  • Options
    Nobody has mentioned anything about ear-rings being banned in our schools yet. I wonder wether that is the same principle over there ?
    My Daughters school does not allow ear-rings based upon safety of pupils, so could this be why they are been banned ? Assuming if someone wanted to strangle someone they could use the scarf ?
    Im probably gonna be made a laughing stock, but thats the only reason I can think of why they would want to ban them anyway.
  • Options
    That isnt what the issue concerns Becks. Besides, if possible use as a weapon WERE the issue, then certainly crosses worn about the neck would be much more convenient tools for the job, don't you think?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    That isnt what the issue concerns Becks. Besides, if possible use as a weapon WERE the issue, then certainly crosses worn about the neck would be much more convenient tools for the job, don't you think?

Yeah I appreciate we aint talking about ear-rings but it is something that has been banned in some schools. I wondered wether it was also a safety issue because I cant see why else they would want to ban it, I dont buy the ban for religious reasons, thats all.
    No I dont think crosses would be more convenient tools.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    thats the only reason I can think of why they would want to ban them anyway.

The reason why the Germans want them banned is because it is the Turkish who wear them, and the Turkish are a very large problem in Germany.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The reason why the Germans want them banned is because it is the Turkish who wear them, and the Turkish are a very large problem in Germany.

Ah right now I get you, Thanks.
  • Options
    Actually the bigotry in Germany against the Turkish minority is the main problem. Another case of inherent racism being translated into institutionalised prohibitions that only further alienate and disenfranchise immigrants.

I myself live in a largely Turkish quarter of Brussels and they are some of the most enterprising and industrious people in the city despite the harrassment and segregation they face from both the police and the local authorities.
  • Options
    Another fine example of the backward mentality of certain European countries, this is the kind of thing which makes me proud to be British. I used to be very for the idea of closer European links until I realised how backward they are when it comes to race relations.

They have a long way to catch up before I agree to European super state.
  • Options
    BA, to be fair, the UK shares equally with the rest of Europe. All such "they are Europe, we are different" intimations are ridiculous. The UK IS as much European as any country on the continent and has as many of the same socio-political issues to address as the rest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Another fine example of the backward mentality of certain European countries, this is the kind of thing which makes me proud to be British. I used to be very for the idea of closer European links until I realised how backward they are when it comes to race relations.

They have a long way to catch up before I agree to European super state.

The thing is a particularly German problem in a lot of ways, because of how strictly they control who can and cannot become a citizen, and what rights non-citizens have.

But dont think that were much better- we have the legal rights, but the social rights? Im not so sure.

I doubt the minorities being "punished", as they so delightfully revel in telling us, are exactly blameless in the Germans feeling that they have to do this. Though i dont really know enough about the Turkish problem in Germany to comment further.
  • Options
    On reading further into it just now, I shall scrap my last viewpoint.

It seems that these countries are outlawing the wearing of scarves based on tolerance, ironically. many people se these scarves as the Muslim faith subjugating women, and as such do not see them as religious symbols but as social symbols.

Though they are inherently religious, which is why the French in particular are banning them on the basis of secularism. I guess they are seen as the religious arm of the social trend of subjugating women, and as such are not felt appropriate for schoolchildren.

What I find incredibly interesting is the fact that they are banned from public buildings in Turkey too, and the Turkish government is ocntrolled by as Islamic party. To say it is racist in this context is bizarre in the extreme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3135600.stm
  • Options
    The region's Education Minister Annette Schavan said the headscarf was "seen as a symbol of cultural division and part of a history of repression of women".

Sounds like the pc brigade getting extremely confused about their own values to me.
  • Options
    Kermy, basing the justification of such arbitrary and selectively applied legislation in Germany on the basis of practices in Turkey in the presence of a currently Islamist government is to ignore the political dynamic which has lain behind Turkish policymaking for decades.

Be aware that regardless of what flavour of government happens to hold the public institutions, Turkish politics have long walked a fine line of deference to the ultimate dictats of the Turkish military leadership.

One need only examine how many public policies which have historically run counter to the will of the military have either been forcibly rescinded/overturned or have resulted in military overthrow of the public leadership.

Therefore, even with an Islamist party in the majority, they are not free to institute policies which many of their supporters might find more in line with their religious beliefs (including the choice of many religious females).

As i mentioned, I live in a largely Turkish quarter of Brussels and here i see many Turkish women who prefer to eschew any head covering and many who choose to wear them. At no time have i seen one camp suggesting to the other that they are oppressed and in fact have even heard some who have chosen to adopt head coverings defending it against comments by Belgians that its all just a trapping of oppression.

I simply argue that its not a subject which German legislators should be seizing upon on the basis according to which it is being justified, without similarly banning Jewish head coverings and Christian symbology as well. Of course we all can reasonably anticipate the outcry that would ensue if Jewish practices of any kind were prohibited, especially with the spectre of history hanging over that country.
  • Options
    If they ban headscarves, won't they also have to ban turbans, people wearing any kind of religious symbol such as a crucifix etc.

People need to be more tolerant. Saying that, Islamic countries also need to be more tolerant of Western cultures. My family used to live in Iran and my mother had to wear Hijab, even as a non Muslim British woman.

The West should not take one step backwards though. We are supposed to live in a free, tolerant society.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    "Christian and Jewish symbols will not be banned."

So Jewish teachers can still wear a yarmulke and a christian teacher would I guess be allowed to wear a cross?
    I can grasp the reason for a ban on religious symbols but surely you would have to apply it across all religions???

I've heard stories that in some states of America you can't wear a pentacle to school.
  • Options
    Ah yes, but in the bible belt of the US the pentacle is tantamount to Satanism and therefore not a bonafide religion but rather a defamation of that which is holy.

Wicca is not something people approach in general with an open mind ready for dialogue.