Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shaking . . .

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hand keeps shaking, not like shivering or anything, but involuntarily shaking, I look like Ozzy Osbourne! It is usually when I am holding something, like my pen, but sometimes it's just when I haven't got anything in it. It stops when I put my hand down, but when I pick it up again it's the same, or worse. My mates think it's a trapped nerve, and my mum thinks it's low blood sugar levels. But it's on and off, and surely it would be all the time if it was those things :confused:? Specially the sugar levels thing?

I'm scaaaaaaaaaaaared! It's really freaky and I don't like it :(

Franki :P:P:P
X

Comments

• Options
    No, shaking when you have low blood sugar levels is quite common. I've had it, especially after p.e at school and before lunch etc. One of my friends get's it but she has this thing with sugar :confused: she needs to have more than most people.

I wouldn't worry that much, most people shake all the time for lots of different reasons. There are more severe reasons of course, like parkinson's disease, but you won't have that. If you do, then you'd make the front page of all the newspapers :p. Heheh. The probability that there is a serious / neurological cause is more than incredibly slim.

Most likely the sugar. But if you're tired it can happen too. Trapped nerves can account for it but usually if you move your hand or give your arm a good rub (you can usually feel where it's trapped) then it'll stop.

The greatest problem you'll probably have is paranoia it could be something worse. This could lead to anxiety and if you worry too much you can get nervous anxiety disorder or something, which is pretty horrible to have because you always worry about everything. I think there's someone on thesite who has it (maybe DaisyChainThing but don't quote me!).

Don't worry. If it really concerns you then you should see a doctor, if just for your peace of mind. Hope this helped hunni :)
  • Options
    I have the exact same problem just eat regulary and when you feel shaky just eat and that usually helps me.
  • Options
    i always get that. get it real bad when im off out for the night, cos i never have time to eat so shake like a twat.have to ask for a straw so i dont end up with my drink down me. lol.
  • Options
    I get really bad sort of tremors when I have too mcuh irn bru and little food, then I exercise. I think it's because I have a low tolerance for sugar, and it's more a hyper thing rather than from low blood sugar.
  • Options
    My leg shakes when i've just been for a ride on my bike & then drive a car. My leg can't deal with holding the pedal down for along time & it gets the hippy shakes.

That's due to me not eaten in between the two.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    For more info on hypoglycaemia, read this, but don't self diagnose, the best thing to do if you are concerned about this is visit your GP.

Alternatively, give NHS Direct a call:

NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    No, shaking when you have low blood sugar levels is quite common. I've had it, especially after p.e at school and before lunch etc. One of my friends get's it but she has this thing with sugar :confused: she needs to have more than most people.

I wouldn't worry that much, most people shake all the time for lots of different reasons. There are more severe reasons of course, like parkinson's disease, but you won't have that. If you do, then you'd make the front page of all the newspapers :p. Heheh. The probability that there is a serious / neurological cause is more than incredibly slim.

Most likely the sugar. But if you're tired it can happen too. Trapped nerves can account for it but usually if you move your hand or give your arm a good rub (you can usually feel where it's trapped) then it'll stop.

The greatest problem you'll probably have is paranoia it could be something worse. This could lead to anxiety and if you worry too much you can get nervous anxiety disorder or something, which is pretty horrible to have because you always worry about everything. I think there's someone on thesite who has it (maybe DaisyChainThing but don't quote me!).

Don't worry. If it really concerns you then you should see a doctor, if just for your peace of mind. Hope this helped hunni :)

It's not like REALLY concerning me, it just looks really freaky and Woo was laughing :( I don't think it is trapped nerves 'cause unless it's right up the top of my forearm, then I can't feel anything :confused: my mother says I need to eat more fruit, but the bananas are all manky and the apples are all wrinkly and the grapes are nearly all gone . . . so yeh.

I read a book once that had this disease where you started off with a bit of shakiness, and then you ended up forgetting to do things, due to a build up of copper (I think) in the brain. You eventually die because your brain forgets that you are supposed to breath. I bloody well hope I don't have that :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    I read a book once that had this disease where you started off with a bit of shakiness, and then you ended up forgetting to do things, due to a build up of copper (I think) in the brain. You eventually die because your brain forgets that you are supposed to breath. I bloody well hope I don't have that :confused:

Dementia is due to a buildup up of heavy metals in the brain. Most of this was lead, from old lead pipes I think. I don't know the symptoms though - it just basically fucks up your mind.

There are several neurological conditions which involve shaking - because the mind is the centre of your nervous system when it degrades or becomes 'ill' then a 'malfunction' of the neural system isn't unexpected.

Do you eat breakfast in the morning? If you don't then everything you eat in the day is out of balance, because breakfast sets your internal balance equal, but if you miss it your body craves sugars, so burns meals up quicker, so you use energy quicker, so need another meal which is burnt quicker.

If you are concerned though the best advice is to see your GP.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Dementia is due to a buildup up of heavy metals in the brain. Most of this was lead, from old lead pipes I think. I don't know the symptoms though - it just basically fucks up your mind.

It wasn't Dementia :no: It was W-something-'s Disease. And it was copper.

And no I don't eat breakfast, I don't have time these days!

If it doesn't stop I'll go see my doctor. Need to see her (I think it's a her :confused: ) about my headaches anyways.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    If it doesn't stop I'll go see my doctor. Need to see her (I think it's a her :confused: ) about my headaches anyways.

If you're that confused then you should seek help. Quickly. :p