Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CD not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a copy from someone. It was to install Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on my PC. Only, it gets half way through set up then says theres an error. On the intro it says something about a bios and changing it to BOOT* from CD- Rom. The CD is called Dragon 2K. What can I do?

*I originally typed copy, but I now know it is to boot from CD-ROM

Comments

• Options
    Using pirated software is illegal. Becarful what you say on open forums like this.

Dragon CDs should work ok unless there is something wrong with your system or the disk is damaged. Any offcial Microsoft CD from 2000 onwards has a security feature built into them to stop you doing "stuff" with them. If it's a Dragon CD like you say then the security feature has proberly been taken off. (Yes it is possible)

Try cleaning the CD. Does your other CDs work?
    On the intro it says something about a bios and changing it to copy from CD- Rom

Could you explain your self a little more please?
  • Options
    I will give it a thorough clean. It says change the bios to run from CD-Rom and after installation,m change it back.
  • Options
    Ok, give it a clean an dif it don't work then post back.
  • Options
    I treied and it stopped installing again. And the Cd is bootable so it tells you to change bios to boot from cd. then change it back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    If it says about the bios then I would semise it means booting from the cd rom.. so instead of booting from the hard drive, booting from the disk..

Don't hold me to that though.. its just what Im guessing. Im not qualified in pc - ness so.. I'm not being held responsible if you break ur pc :confused:

how do I do it though?
  • Options
    I've never came across this type of problem. I 'spose it's because I don't really use Windows.

It seems like it's telling you to go into your bios and change your boot pattern so that your CD-ROM boots first.

Try going into your BIOS and changing your boot pattern so that your CD-ROM boots first. Insert your CD then reboot your PC and then try installing it.

If that Dragon cd has Windows on it as I know some do then don't do what I just said as it will install Windows again instead on your Office application.

p.s, what version of Windows do you have?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    I've never came across this type of problem. I 'spose it's because I don't really use Windows.

It seems like it's telling you to go into your bios and change your boot pattern so that your CD-ROM boots first.

Try going into your BIOS and changing your boot pattern so that your CD-ROM boots first. Insert your CD then reboot your PC and then try installing it.

If that Dragon cd has Windows on it as I know some do then don't do what I just said as it will install Windows again instead on your Office application.

p.s, what version of Windows do you have?

I have Windows XP.

I dont know how to go into bios. And I dont know if the CD has, wait, it has Windows 98 on it, does that count?
  • Options
    Hi mate,
    When the PC boots up press the DEL key, this should bring you to the bios setup screen (sometimes it can be F1 with Amibios chips)
    Goto Advanced BIOS options, change the first boot device from floppy disk to CDROM, make sure the CD is in the first drive of your PC (if you have a DVD/CD drive and burner as seperate units) it should then load whatever is on the bootstrap of the CD. If it skips all of this then there is eithre no bootstrap on the CD or the CD is corrupt.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be doing that if I were you. I daresay Win98 is trying to install itself, which is why it's asking you to boot from the CD.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    isn't it a bit dubious booting from a cd? i mean if the cd is a pirate there could be tones of nasty stuff on it so when u boot directly from it...... who knows what will happen?!
  • Options
    The CD itself is a copy of a copy and it is installed on a network of computers. I have XP but the CD also has Win 98 on it. I dunno what is happening but I only wanted Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
  • Options
    Like I said, I really wouldn't be booting from the CD, especially if it's a copy of a copy. It's trying to install Win98, which you don't want. If you want Office stuff, you should try right-clicking on the CD, selecting "open" and sifting through the files there. Can't really help you much more beyond that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    a copy of a copy?

are you mad? I personally wouldnt touch for fear of melting myself let alone putting it near my pc :confused:

Why? If it's a copy of a copy, it's highly unlikely to be any worse than the original, let alone the first copy, especially if he knows the source of both of the original and the copy. It's the joy of the digital age, y'know.
  • Options
    My dad has Win 98. Do you think I could try installing it on his PC and seeing if it works?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    My dad has Win 98. Do you think I could try installing it on his PC and seeing if it works?

No no no. Cos every computer you put it in, it will try to install Win98. If you can open it up in My Computer, right click on the CD icon/drive, choose "Open" and then you should be able to access the files. (This should work under WinXP.)
  • Options
    From what I can see that disk sounds beyond dodgy and frankly i wouldnt use it turtle is right in what he/she says though.