Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ecstasy & it's effects on homeostasis?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all, i've had a look round here, and you seem to be a clever bunch, and so I was wondering if you could help me with something.

I'm having trouble understanding the effects of Ecstacy on homeostasis in the body, and as you all seem to know a lot about drugs, and particularly the science behind them, I thought you'ld be the perfect people to help me.

You're in a club, and you drop a pill, you dance, get hot, drink to cool down etc.. and I know that Ecstasy effects homeostasis so that it cannot control the amount of water in your body properly. I'm guessing that this is because of the effect it has on your kidneys? I know the story of Leah Betts and the fact that she drank too much and this swelled around her brain etc. But i'm really getting confused with the actual effects and why it happens. Does it directly stop the kidneys working or soemthing?

Also, does the actual Ecstasy have an effect on temperature regulation? Is that why you become too hot and can overheat? Or is the overheating thing just down to the club environment and dancing etc?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, basically, I'm writing about homeostatic dysfunction and the effect Ecstasy has on it. :eek2:

Any help would be much appreciated, but you may have to simplify it for me as i'm struggling to understand all this. Thankyou!

Comments

• Options
    Ok, I dont strickly have any medical training but I will do my best to explain the situation as I understand it.

MDMA hinders your bodies ability to expell urine, and because of this you can build up too much water in your body to very dangerous effect. This is due to its effect on the kidneys, but in biological terms I wouldnt be able to explain why.

And yes MDMA, as with all stimulants does raise your body temperature because it rasies you heart rate, blood pressure and speeds up your organs.

However neither of these are overtly dangerous as long as, a) you dont dance non-stop in a hot club for 6 hours or b) you take way too much or c) drink way too much water.

Personally I can see there being a bonus to consuming a little amphetamine with the MDMA, not only for the high, but also as amphetamine causes your body to urinate they tend to balance each other out. Of course though, mixing two or more drugs puts a bigger strain on your body, and quite probably raises your heart rate and temp even higher.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hello Reloaded, you could try having a look at Erowid.org, these links may get you started -
    this one on MDMA neurotoxicity, in particular the Extent of Neurotoxicity in Rats is Influenced by Environment, Especially Ambient Temperature section......

This is from their reference section and is a bit wordy and technical but I don't know how much depth you need to go in to....

And here is another study on rats temperature on MDMA...

I really recommend you do a search on Erowid if you want to know more!
  • Options
    Ladyjade; How come you can talk about erowid without Susie popping up, as soon as I mentioned the place in the past 30 seconds later Susie would be there pointing out a 'thesite' page.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ahh, that would be because I can see the Boards Boss form where I am sitting, and I checked with her first :D
  • Options
    Thanks all :)