Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The world is full of wonderful coincidences!

Isn't life just grand? Just as the violence in Iraq gets worse than ever and body bags are shipped back to the US at an alarming rate; as 'war hero' Jessica Lynch rubbishes the US military & government for lying about what happened to her; as Bush stands accused of lying over the elusive WMDs; as helicopters keep falling out of the sky and the situation resembles Vietnam more and more by the minute; in short, just as Dubya's popularity ratings fall to an all-time low and the Americans' patience with the chimp starts to run very low...

there is a new "anthrax scare" in America as the US government warns that Al Qaida might be about to "crash cargo planes" into targets in US soil.

Oh well... nothing like a good scare to get people back in line and to stop questioning the Government and its President.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol::lol::lol: @ vietnam comparison
  • Options
    Oh really Balddog? The parallels to Vietnam including the lies told to the public to justify its illegality (Vietnam was no more a threat to the peace and security of we Americans at home than was Iraq), the mythmaking of a compliant media back home to bolster the government's claims that we needed to stay and "finish the job", the villification of protestors as "traitors" and "unsupportive of our troops", the lack of any coherent exit strategy which prolonged our entrenchment, and the dismissiveness of those (apparently like yourself) willing to believe and swallow Washington's propaganda rather than hold our leaders accountable for an increasing catalogue of exposed lies are indeed viable.

Nevermind the expose in the Pentagon Papers of the Pentagon's duplicity and the extent it will go to to sell boldfaced lies to the public in order to secure massive budgetary increases for itself and by extension our prolific arm dealing death merchants in the MIC, far easier to forget the lessons of the past and believe the present spin I suppose.

So much for government "OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The only difference is that casualties are not nearly as high... Then again the Americans have been there 8 months, not 8 years...

But one really cannot help it but draw parallels: a mighty powerful military force being run down by guerilla style attacks... increasing demoralisation amongst the troops... discontent at home... no real reason for war in the first place... not trusted (at best) by the locals... international deploration...

The number of casualties is only the tip of the iceberg. In any other respect, this is rapidly becoming another Vietnam.

When the chimp imposes a ban on broadcasting images of coffins returning home you know things are going pear-shaped.
  • Options
    Two points id go further in highlighting Al would be the fact that:

1. US engagement in Vietnam lasted 14 years, not 8; and

2. The "real" reason for both engagements was/is corporate hegemony and geo-political interventionist positioning. In neither case is there "no real reason", but rather "no legally justifiable reason".

Apart from that the illegitimate powermongering which lay at the heart of the issue remain as true in today's misguided militaristic agenda as it did in the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The only difference is that casualties are not nearly as high... Then again the Americans have been there 8 months, not 8 years...

But one really cannot help it but draw parallels: a mighty powerful military force being run down by guerilla style attacks... increasing demoralisation amongst the troops... discontent at home... no real reason for war in the first place... not trusted (at best) by the locals... international deploration...

The number of casualties is only the tip of the iceberg. In any other respect, this is rapidly becoming another Vietnam.

When the chimp imposes a ban on broadcasting images of coffins returning home you know things are going pear-shaped.

The only difference? Are you sure?

Run down by guerilla tactics? Correct me if im wrong but havent the US lost less than 200 troops to guerilla tactics since the official war ended? No disrespect to those who died but 200 in over 6 months is nothing...Its certainly nowhere near the number needed to 'run down' the US military.

Demoralisation amongst the troops? Those ive spoken to have been motivated by the guerilla tactics..Granted its motivation i dont approve of "kill them all" type of thing..but ive not noticed any widespread increase in demoralisation.

Discontent at home..This is true but nowhere near the level of vietnam, again, granted its at the start of the occupation. My own opinion is that the american people will harden soon enough and be accepting of the casualties. In fact, id say most were, its just a vocal minority who are creating such a fuss.

No real reason for war...Debatable :)

Not trusted by locals...granted :)

International deploration...Not really. Some nations arent happy but there is no widespread official condemnation of US actions.

Anyway..I actually agree with your post, i just think its a bit rich comparing the situation to vietnam in such a way...but emotive language and insults never did anyones argument any harm..

Talking of scare tactics....what would scare the fragile american psyche more than the thought of another vietnam...but then, its only the pro war US govt who would ever use such tactics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    The only difference? Are you sure?

Run down by guerilla tactics? Correct me if im wrong but havent the US lost less than 200 troops to guerilla tactics since the official war ended? No disrespect to those who died but 200 in over 6 months is nothing...Its certainly nowhere near the number needed to 'run down' the US military.
    Perhaps 'run down' might have been incorrect, although I believe you know what I meant. The US is suffering from constant attacks (35 a day at the last count) and now they're even losing heavy war toys to the guerillas. It might not 'bring down' the US army as such, but it certainly contributes to the greater picture of great discontent at home paired with demoralisation and chaos amongst the troops. And that is what ultimately made the US lose the war at Vietnam.
    Demoralisation amongst the troops? Those ive spoken to have been motivated by the guerilla tactics..Granted its motivation i dont approve of "kill them all" type of thing..but ive not noticed any widespread increase in demoralisation.
    I beg to differ...
    Discontent at home..This is true but nowhere near the level of vietnam, again, granted its at the start of the occupation. My own opinion is that the american people will harden soon enough and be accepting of the casualties. In fact, id say most were, its just a vocal minority who are creating such a fuss.
    As it happens most of the relatives of troops stationed in Iraq are deeply unhappy with the situation... as are many others who have no relations in Iraq. They're not given a platform to express their feelings though... that's press freedom in Bush's America for you.

Like I said, when the government imposes a ban on showing footage of coffins returning home, you know something is very wrong.
    International deploration...Not really. Some nations arent happy but there is no widespread official condemnation of US actions.
    I think the biggest worldwide demonstrations in the history of mankind coupled by an unprecedented number of nations showing anything from deep concern to right outrage can amount to widespread condemnation. In fact, apart from the governments of Israel, Spain, Britain and Australia, and a couple others, more or less the other 195 nations plus were against. And even in the countries were support was offered the vast majority of the population was against.

This has at least caused the biggest deterioration of international relations between nations ever seen. I don't think there has been a moment in history where the government of the USA has been so intensely and universally loathed.

Then again the US government has never been one to give a shit about what others think.
  • Options
    ah well, at least in tje history books george w. will be remember as being little more than a wanka!
  • Options
    *taps Al on the shoulder*

Al, for the sake of the integrity of your argumentation be careful not to cite incorrect figures. I know its a minor point in an otherwise viable response (on principle), however there are currently only 193 countries in the world. 191 which are members of the UN and 192 recognised as independent states by the US with Taiwan remaining the debatable 193rd.

Nevertheless I certainly concur that apart from the handful of "governments" cited in your post, the vast majority of peoples have condemned this invasion outright from the start. Moreover, it is interesting to note that despite getting its unanimous vote on the latest UN resolution (transparently designed to give legitimacy to a clear breach of international law), not even the nations you have cited have nor likely will provide troops and the cash still largely is being extroted from US tax payers.

Sooner or later the other shoe will drop and hopefully the heads of numerous members of the US administration and their ancillary policy agenda architects along with it.
  • Options
    I stand corrected :)

BTW, which one is the 192nd?
  • Options
    Here is the list of those recognised by the US...

http://www.countrywatch.com/@school/number_countries.htm

The newest independent country not listed is East Timor.
  • Options
    i admit ...when i saw those scare stories i straight away thought of the deep shit they were all begining to get close to swimming in and hey presto ...duck! we're being attacked ...