Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Instant Messenger & Free Telephone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This claims to be clearer then using the telephone
http://www.skype.com

Anyone got a headset and microphone to put it to the test??

skypescreenshot.gif

Comments

• Options
    :rolleyes: HHmm i wonder.....

What do you think of it Diamondgeezer ??
  • Options
    Well the instant messaging thing is pretty basic but the sound voic chat thing worked straight away through my NAT firewall thingy me wasit!!

Although I can't judge the quality cos th eperson I was testing with was too shy to talk ... LOL but they played music for me and sounded OK..
  • Options
    I downloaded it about 4 hours ago and forgot i had done so until just now, silly me :rolleyes:
    Just need to find a friend who can download it also and try it with me :cool: nooooow who to try and convince :lol:

also forgot to say, it is deffo free isnt it Diamondgeezer ??
  • Options
    Originally posted by rich21
    I downloaded it about 4 hours ago and forgot i had done so until just now, silly me :rolleyes:
    Just need to find a friend who can download it also and try it with me :cool: nooooow who to try and convince :lol:

also forgot to say, it is deffo free isnt it Diamondgeezer ??

Yes PC to PC voice chat is totally free - in fact how would they charge you for it?? They dn't take any personal details form you... there is no PC to landline phone option - so yes PC to PC is free and that's what I wanted to test out ... Anyway if you join maybe we can chat and test the quality out - BTW what kind of internet connection do yo have? I have ADSL.

Oh I found from using MSN to chat to someone last night that I had a slight echo which was reduce when I reduced the filtering of my software firewall!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Yes PC to PC voice chat is totally free - in fact how would they charge you for it?? They dn't take any personal details form you... there is no PC to landline phone option - so yes PC to PC is free and that's what I wanted to test out ... Anyway if you join maybe we can chat and test the quality out - BTW what kind of internet connection do yo have? I have ADSL.

Oh I found from using MSN to chat to someone last night that I had a slight echo which was reduce when I reduced the filtering of my software firewall!!

I have broadband......I'll install it and get back to you on it :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I would say its pretty clear..can hear ya typing and stuff

Yeh i agree with you, Deffo better than yahoo, though it does still break up it is rather good.. :)

:D Rachie
  • Options
    Yeh i agree with you, Deffo better than yahoo, though it does still break up it is rather good.. :)

:D Rachie

So you guys reckon it's better then MSN too? All I know is it's dead easy to configure ... what sort of headsets are you using cheap ones or decent ones? I have a Labtec one which is supposed to be one of the better ones.

although I'm interested in getting a USB handset that looks like a phone.
  • Options
    Im using my logitech webcam for the audio, and yeh it does sound fine, dunno about it being better than msn, well in its own way it is
  • Options
    Im using my logitech webcam for the audio, and yeh it does sound fine, dunno about it being better than msn, well in its own way it is

Oh OK, I'm assuming you were talking to Rachie - so none of you are using a headset ... OK, that's interesting cos obviously with seperate speakers you pick up feedback so would be intersting to hear somepeople who have proper headset setup's on both side to see if the quality surpasses a telephone as they claim.

Espacially since the voice signal is encrypted along the way!!
  • Options
    As far as i could tell, from my side of the conversation there wasnt any feedback, it broke up a little bit, but other wise it was almost perfect. My webcam is sitting right next to my speakers and it hasnt made any effect on any voice conversations ive had so far. :)
  • Options
    I've just spent the last hour or so opening up my PC and installing a 2nd sound card in my PC - so now I have the one built into the motherboard + the additional sound blaster and it seems to be working fine so far.

I was getting annoyed cos I only had one Audio Line out and needed it to go to any of three devices

PC Speakers - for music
    TV for watching movies
    HeadSet for speaking to people via MSN or PC to Phone

So now I have the TV line out and Headphones plugged in and seems to work fine.

My added soundcard is also the SoundBlaster Live Platinum with a extra part that takes up one 5.25 drive bay but has loads of extra sockets for headphones or mostlikely what I'll connect - my PC Speakers!!
  • Options
    :confused: :crazyeyes that makes NO sense

Which bit didn't you understand??

Been using my PC with 2 soundcards for a few days now ... oh it's so much better now I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging things!!!
  • Options
    There's a new version of skype out .. seems to have a whole list of improvements!!
  • Options
    is there..oh must go see
  • Options
    There's a new version of skype out .. seems to have a whole list of improvements!!

Other than when having a text chat, Do you actually see anything differant..Is it me cause i dont see much else differant....other than that and the start up screen of skype being a diff colour also
    :confused:
  • Options
    how do u stop someone talking to u? ie some random person has added me :confused:

In the setup thing you select always authorise
  • Options
    Originally posted by ®
    Other than when having a text chat, Do you actually see anything differant..Is it me cause i dont see much else differant....other than that and the start up screen of skype being a diff colour also
    :confused:

Well the visual elemets is the only difference I can see, seeing as I've never actually talked to anyone on it, but text messaged them but I saw a huge list of so called improvements, I thin it's quicker though to find when contacts are online
  • Options
    In the setup thing you select always authorise

I dont recall seeing that option though :confused:
  • Options
    I was using skype last night and saw some of the other new features like the abaility to make your internal PC speaker ring which is very handy, means you can turn your own Powered speakers off but still hear when someone is calling you.