Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spare The Rod Spoil The Child

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that if you're strict with kids as they grow up that they have less chance of getting into trouble as teenagers and young adults and more likely to study, do well in school and get better jobs. And less chance of ending up in jail, etc??

I have noticed with my cousins that have grown up in africa, where their parents are not so strict BUT their teachers are (some even caning kids) both my cousins are very well behaved and doing extremely well in schooll, one is well on his way to becoming a doctor.

But my cousins who have grown up in Canada where everything is done for them and kids are more pampered one is doing OK ad the other is a high school dropout and into drugs and into gang culture.

Comments

• Options
    I aint a parent, I wouldn't have the first idea to be honest.

But my Mam and Dad brought me up in a fairly strict environment, but that didn't stop me being a spoilt little shit at times. They brought me up the way they saw best, and fair play to them.

If I end up in jail, it's down to my own stupidity, not my Mam and Dad.
  • Options
    I don't think I was brought up in an overly strict household, and I turned out alright. Well...

It's the debate between nurture vs. nature. I guess the easiest view is that we're naturally badly behaved, and it is our parents, our peers and our society that "civilises" us. This probably isn't far off the truth, though I think there's a lot more to it than just your parents.
  • Options
    I think it has a lot to do with the area you live in. If its a kinda rough area then any kid even if they have been brought up well, they could just get in with the wrong crowd.
  • Options
    Friends have a lot to do with it due to peer pressure. But I do think some parents just let their kids get away with so much today the blame has to lie with them in a lot of cases.
  • Options
    i was gona reply but its such a complex issue i ran out of steam and couldnt be bothered :p one things for sure, you cant reduce it down to how strict your parents/school is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i was gona reply but its such a complex issue i ran out of steam and couldnt be bothered :p one things for sure, you cant reduce it down to how strict your parents/school is.

One thing I've noticed is out of my relatives the ones brought up in private schools are very well behaved.

The ones brought up in Canada aren't in a rough area, but I think a lot of kids there lack a strong sense of identity from their parents and so are drawn to gang culture (as a gang is a family of sorts)

I think given certain restrictions help kids to have a sense of where boundaries begin and end.
  • Options
    I think it can work both ways. Although some disciplined households can produce sparkly wonderful children, sometimes it can have the opposite effect, and make them more likely to and willing to rebel against the discipline they are brought up in by getting into trouble.
  • Options
    I think that on the whole, a stricter upbringing, and not letting kids get away with so much, does make them better people.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Well, I wasn't brought up in a really, really strict household, but enough to know right from wrong, except after my mother's death and I seemed to get into a lot of shit and trouble in school and such, but not going to go into the details as of why because I don't think no one really needs to know, but yeah, was brought up to know the difference and such with things, but things changed a lot through most of my teenage life, with having an asshole of a half-brother as a legal guardian from the ages of a little bit before my 15th birthday until I was 18 and didn't have to listen to his shit anymore.