Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flu Injections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The doctors rung my dad up to have his first ever flu injection .. he's 65 but in excellent health and more like someone 55.

Has anyone had this injection?? is it safe or have any side effects.

Comments

• Options
    Ive had it every year for ages now because Im asthmatic.

Its perfectly safe, and the only side effects ive ever had are arm stiffness for a little bit, like usual with injections, and the snivels for about 3 days. Its just because when you reah 65 they consider it to be in one of the risk groups. Unless he has serious objections, its free, and your protected...I'd say go for it :)
  • Options
    If he has just had a cold/cough and is not fully over it then decline it for the moment, thats what my Dad told me.

My Dad has it every year being astmatic its for his best interest to have it. I also know a few older people who also have it and they have not had problems.
  • Options
    i get the jab for being asthmatic and im always fine with it (except for sore arms afterwards!!)
  • Options
    i always used to have the flu jab coz i have really bad asthma, but last year and this year i didnt have it coz it made me relaly ill all the other times and i was fine without havin it. i know there could be a 'what if u get flu blhablah' thing but i dobnt feel i benefit from havin it
  • Options
    i get it every year because im diabetic and ive always been ok, bit of a stiff arm like others have sadi but other than that ive been ok!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Strawberry Tart
    i always used to have the flu jab coz i have really bad asthma, but last year and this year i didnt have it coz it made me relaly ill all the other times and i was fine without havin it. i know there could be a 'what if u get flu blhablah' thing but i dobnt feel i benefit from havin it

I didnt have mine last year, I couldnt make the appointment and just didnt get another one. And guess what? I got the flu, and was sufffering with it for 4 weeks. And then had a throat infection at the same time.