Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

graphics card driver

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i formatted my pc, and lost all drivers, so now i am displaying 800 x 600 with 16 colours. yes it hurts.

i lost the cd which had the graphics card driver on, so i cant install them. i looked at device manager and it says my card is 'standard vga' but im not sure of the brand of the card so i cant download drivers from the net yet. do you know how i can find it out or is there a universal driver? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Open the case, find out what card it is, then come back.

You have the "universal driver" now, that's why you only have poor resolution with few colours.
  • Options
    ok thanks, where will it say on the card though?
  • Options
    Originally posted by marken
    ok thanks, where will it say on the card though?

Depends on the card tbh. There will most likely be some kind of name on it somewhere.

Or you could try downloading the nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com as they will work with pretty much any card based on the nvidia chipset, which is probably half the card around today. It's just that that is a waste of time if yours is not an nvidia card.
  • Options
    i looked and couldnt find anything. i dont think it is an nvidia card either as it's old and has a built-in soundcard too, which isnt used because i have a seperate one now. i remember the soundcard was something like 'soundblaster' would the graphics card be anything along the lines of this?
  • Options
    Originally posted by marken
    i looked and couldnt find anything. i dont think it is an nvidia card either as it's old and has a built-in soundcard too, which isnt used because i have a seperate one now. i remember the soundcard was something like 'soundblaster' would the graphics card be anything along the lines of this?

Unlikely. Soundblaster is a make of sound card from Creative. At www.creative.com It's possible that the video card could be one of theirs too.

But basically unless you can find out the manufacturer you are a bit stuffed.
  • Options
    Where is the VGA out port on your PC? in one of the slots or inthe same line as the keyboard, USB, etc ports?

If it's all inthe sam eline then the graphics card is built into the motherboard, if that is the case then look at themotherboard to see the name or make / model of the motherboard then look up the spec.

If you have a digital camera then tale a pic and show us.. Can't really suggest more then that for now.

What version of windows do you have?
  • Options
    If you look on the graphics card for any serial number etc then this may give us more of a clue on what make/model the card is and where to find the drivers for them.