Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quitting smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
first off, yes, this probably is a done to death topic, as most are, but it hasn't been done recently :p

anyways, i want to quit smoking, because it sucks so much damn cash out of me.

I smoke cuz i'm bored, and well, I'm always fucking bored.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get over this? I don't really see typical nicotene (sp?) withdrawls, as I've been weekends, and even weeks without smoking because I'll be on vacation or something like that. I havn't ever gotten or seen any sympotms of the withdrawl stuff, but whenever i get bored I just pick one up. So tips please :)

Comments

• Options
    Well, firstly, you've got to want to stop, which you do. That's the biggest thing, and without it, nothing's going to work.

You say that whenever you're bored, you light up. So, find something else to do in your free time. Pick up a good book, or get into photography or anything. Find a hobby to keep you occupied and not bored. Not only will you come out with better health, but you'll have something else to talk about :)

Another trick I've heard work before is replacing a cigarrette with something. Like, a glass of water. Whenever you're bored, get a glass of water (a heck of a lot cheaper!). Whenever you want to take a puff, try taking a sip instead.

Hopefully somebody's going to pop-up later and give some useful advice :p
    But anyway, best of luck to you on this one. You can do it!
  • Options
    okay first off, can you play a musical instrument? I found it much easier to cope with quitting by playing my guitar/bass/violin/drums/piano etc. Whenever i wanted a smoke (i'm the same as you, it's a boredom thing) i'd just go play some tunes, or write/read some music. Stuff like that. I don't know if this will help you at all as i know not everyone is a musichead.

You could always get addicted to tic tac/mentos or something similar. When my ex gave up smoking she took up tic tacs. Everytime she wanted a smoke she'd have some tic tacs. God she went/still goes through a lot of em.

I believe taking up a sport would also be helpful. I mean i don't normally feel like a smoke after i've played a game of soccer/footy/ran a few k's.

The only other thing i can think of at the moment would be to get a fuck buddy. That way whenever you want a smoke you have sex. So yeah exercise and fun all for a good cause. :)

sorry i can't be very helpful but my brain is very small. good luck
  • Options
    sorry just thought i'd be a try hard mod.

ahem....
    [fake voice] Make sure you ceck out our smoking feature How to kick the habit

For futher help contact QUIT
    Quitline: 0800 002200
    [/fake voice]

yes i am that bored
  • Options
    ah bless now I don't have to a thing!