Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Double standards and legalisation.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry, I'm not very good at the whole debate thing, so you aren't goign to get a post full of stats and links and quotes, and other resources, but I do have a memory.

This morning, I was watching Heaven and Earth (hmm, yes...) and they had a feature on Rastafarianism. According to their beliefs, cannabis is a very important and sacred plant ( it grew on the grave of some prophet guy apparently), and that is why places like Jamaica where it is the belief of the majority of the country, cannabis is legal. So why not here?

Carrying a weapon around is illegal, yes? But Sikh's are allowed to carry a small knife because it is part of their religion ( the "5 K's) and so the government felt obliged to let Sikhs have the option to carry one. Yet, in a religion where getting high is almost as important as praying, there are no exceptions. If a Rastafarian went around town smoking ganga, he would be arrested for possession and the like.

NB I am not a Ratafarian, I was just wondering why the government is allowed to get away with these double standards.

Comments

• Options
    I might well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that cannabis is actualy illegal in Jamaica, it was legal, years ago, but pressure was put upon them by the US because so much was being smuggled from there.

As for the wepons that Sikhs carry, that is still illegal, you'll find most will only have a small necklace of the dagger that they should carry. This is because as far as I know the size is not mentioned, therefore you can carry a very small one and still be within the word of the religion.
  • Options
    I've done a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that cannabis comes under the 'Dangerous Drugs Act' in Jamaica, which makes it illegal.

Whether it is enforced is another issue though.

Heres a couple of links;

http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/background/dda/DDA7b7c.pdf

http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/background/dda.html
  • Options
    well sieks don't have to wear crash helmets ...
  • Options
    You can't buy cannabis legally... yet you can go get ratted in a pub, inhale solvents or get bollocksed on over the counter drugs. You can even buy explosives at this time of year and all of these are pretty dangerous, or at least more harmful than a jay and a quiet smoke.

Personally I say either legalise cannabis and tax it... or make alcohol illegal as I've seen far more trouble from boozers than stoners.
  • Options
    Nothing at all wrong with toking on a spliff as large as a novelty store cigar! ACtually it is rather a fun past time with less of the violence involved with alcohol. It quite mellows a soul and makes everything right with the world.

Valium, sans alcohol, is also wonderful and you can't OD on it.
    Anything that takes the edge off is banned by the morality police and there you have it. Can't have people feeling mellow now can we!

Bloody prudish uptight politicians!:impissed:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Murph Redux
    Valium, sans alcohol, is also wonderful and you can't OD on it.

That is patently untrue, you can OD on Diazepam (Valium).

Find more info here or here.
  • Options
    You can quite easily OD on a benzo. Especialy as your higher brain functions tend to not work very well and you have a inflated sense of confidence.
  • Options
    Lady Jade,

My apologies about the Valium. Maybe I misunderstood the info given by my cousin the ER doc. I am curious as to why he gave me the impression it was not fatal save in combo with other CNS depressants. Read the info and will be taking at look at my copy of the PDR. Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    and valium addiction is far worse than heroin addiction!
    if you go to rehab they have you off the heroin rapid. then teach you how to stay off.
    with valium ...it has to be a very very slow weaning process as you can psycologicaly and emotionaly break into little irrepairable pieces ...then being fucked for the rest of your natural.
  • Options
    Although booze is the only known drug to occationaly cause death during withdrawl.
  • Options
    Double standards are not that Sikhs or other religious minority may carry some kind of cardboard sword but that the police ( who are supposedly public servants) may carry guns but ordinary citizens ( who are supposedly their masters) may not. I’ve never heard any rational explanation of this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Double standards are not that Sikhs or other religious minority may carry some kind of cardboard sword but that the police ( who are supposedly public servants) may carry guns but ordinary citizens ( who are supposedly their masters) may not. I’ve never heard any rational explanation of this.
    lab ...i'll try and give you a rational explanation. your a copper faced with a crack head robbing a post office and he is holding a kalashnikov ...
  • Options
    The rational explanation is that most guns are illegal, therefore people cant carry them. However because some people do, SOME police need to as well.

Now, as to why they are illegal, well to my mind its because they are dangerous, next to pointless (or at least most are) and any possible benefits are outweighed by the harm caused by their owners to others.
  • Options
    Moroccan…I’ll try to give you another example. You are a peaceful farmer faced with a crack head robbing your house and he holding a kalashnikov… Sorry your explanation is far away from rationality.
  • Options
    If you want to see what everyone here thinks of gun control and the child-killing farmer to whom I'm sure youre refering then do a search. There was a HUGE thred about it a little while ago.
  • Options
    Moroccan… … Sorry your explanation is far away from rationality.
    that won't come as much of a surprise to most on here mate! and morrocan ...is spelt that way on purpose!
  • Options
    Sorry for wrong spelling. It was a misprint.
    I don’t intend to surprise anybody. I just want to say that double standards in life are reflections of double standards in heads.
  • Options
    Sorry for wrong spelling. It was a misprint.
    I don’t intend to surprise anybody. I just want to say that double standards in life are reflections of double standards in heads.
    no matter how we try not to be ...we are all hypocrites to some degree or other.
  • Options
    the police ( who are supposedly public servants) may carry guns but ordinary citizens ( who are supposedly their masters) may not.

So when a crazed idiot holds you hostage with a gun you would be ok with the fact that this idiot may well shoot and kill you, bearing in mind the police wouldnt come to your assistance unarmed. So they would just leave you hostage and hope their skills in talking to the idiot will make sure he doesent shoot you.

Your having a laugh aint you ?
  • Options
    I think his point was that it is unfair if the police can carry guns, but we the tax-paying, ordinary members of the public can not.

Although obviously if you follow that argument through we should be able to arrest, put to trial and detain other members of the public. Because, well the police do it dont they.