Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who'd Like Their Own Private PhoneLine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Teenagers seem to spend a lot of time on the phone, but I'm wondering how many of you teen folk ever thought about how handy it would be to have your own phoneline mainly for incoming phonecalls, and by that I mean a normal number like 0207, 0208, etc not like a mobile phone where it costs a fortune for your friends to call you.

I'm considering the various ways I can get an incoming phone number. For a few months we've had BT Call Sign where you get a 2nd number on the same phoneline and when someone calls it all the phones in the house ring but with a different ringing tone. But this still don't stop everyone else from picking up your calls or do you much good when your sister is on the phone for hours to her friend who lives at the end of the road!! :D

Comments

• Options
    I have my own phone line, but its downstairs so i dnt use it that much. i only use it when i really need to talk to someone on their mobile cos on my normal house phone i kinda got mobiles barred cos i used to call them so much.
  • Options
    I've got BT Yahoo Broadband. The extra phone line's rental is free.

I can be on the internet all day, and still talk on the phone. Thats good.
    I rarely use the line (for out going calls anyway). Thats bad.
    It goes straight into my room. Thats good.
    People wake me up when the call me. Thats bad.
    The price of BT Yahoo Broadband has dropped by 25% in the last few months. Thats good.
    It's slowly enveloping my life...(thats bad)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    I have my own phone line, but its downstairs so i dnt use it that much. i only use it when i really need to talk to someone on their mobile cos on my normal house phone i kinda got mobiles barred cos i used to call them so much.

Do you have broadband internet at home?

You can make cheaper outgoing phonecalls over the internet.

That's sort of like having your own phoneline without paying the line rental but for outgoing phonecalls only.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    I've got BT Yahoo Broadband. The extra phone line's rental is free.

I can be on the internet all day, and still talk on the phone. Thats good.
    I rarely use the line (for out going calls anyway). Thats bad.
    It goes straight into my room. Thats good.
    People wake me up when the call me. Thats bad.
    The price of BT Yahoo Broadband has dropped by 25% in the last few months. Thats good.
    It's slowly enveloping my life...(thats bad)

How much is the Boradband rental?

I'm with Pipex paying £24 per month but if BT will give me a proper phoneline (I mean an extra free one) then that would be good.

But I heard on BBC Watchdog BT Broadband customers get messed around a lot and they stop things like filesharing??
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    How much is the Boradband rental?

I'm with Pipex paying £24 per month but if BT will give me a proper phoneline (I mean an extra free one) then that would be good.

But I heard on BBC Watchdog BT Broadband customers get messed around a lot and they stop things like filesharing??

I believe it's £29.99/month unlimited access, and free line rental. Don't quote me tho, better to check yourself, just to make sure.

TBH, i've never had any problems with them (well, the occasional server shut down when the system was new). Their customer service is kinda shite, but otherwise it's good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Do you have broadband internet at home?

You can make cheaper outgoing phonecalls over the internet.

That's sort of like having your own phoneline without paying the line rental but for outgoing phonecalls only.

yea i have braodband, and the extra line is the free one they give you, although i have to pay for the calls i make where as one the other line its all free to landlines.
    And how can i make calls over the net?
  • Options
    Oh you have the same thing as well?? BT Yahoo.. I can't see anything mentioned about a free phoneline on the website but since that's £6 more then I pay at the moment I guess I have other options.

For £5 per month I can get a 0870 number that rings on my PC but they're not cheap for people to call!!