Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

broadband help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
eek this is all so confusing!
im in a shared house and we want to get broadband and i've had a look at bt, ntl, aol, freeseve pages.

now some people say that ntl isn't very good because everyone on the same street is connected to a sever and so it goes slow or something?! and on the website it says "from £17.99" so im assuming i'd have to pay more for other bits n bobs although the modem is free..

so what else would we need? something to do with a network card? i looked at bt and theyre offering more than one product that you can buy. i dont want to be conned by some sales pitch..

so basically *breathes*..

do you know what my house will need, and what each computer will need to receive broadband? any problems or comments about broadband would be helpful. also which company do you think is the best one to go for?

thanksx

Comments

• Options
    I've got the 600k ntl one for 25 notes a month. To share it between all ur computers u need a way of networking them. each pc needs a network card and u need a broadband router.
    wireless router will cost around £80
    network cards around £30 each
    cable modem u get for free from ntl
    had no problems with speed of connetion tho. can download at 60k/sec constantly for days on end.
  • Options
    i would of gone for NTL.

i am with NTL 1024/256kb/s (1mbit) and i rarely get problems, i can download up to 125 kb/s no worries

but with what ronhaze said you WILL need a adsl/cable router if you want to share the connection with other computers, a simple hub or switch will NOT work.

plus every pc that you want to use the shared internet connection must have a network card

Ronhaze: dunno where you get network cards from, they only £8,99 brand new in my local pc shop!
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    Ronhaze: dunno where you get network cards from, they only £8,99 brand new in my local pc shop!

Maybe he meant the wireless cards as he mentioned wireless router

Lipsy you failed to state which phone company you have at home BT or NTL?

Only BT provide broadband in my area (ADSL) and I use Pipex for about £24 per month. You can go with any provide you want if you have a BT phoneline. Just don;t go with BT Broadband - most expensive and crappy service.
  • Options
    oh thanks for the help guys :)

so do i only need one router in total, not a router per computer?

dimaond - we'll be with BT
  • Options
    you will only need one router per house basically - it goes like this

connection - router (4 port switch normally attached) - to each pc

wireless is a option, but if cables going from the router to each pc wont be a problem i wouldnt go with wireless, most wireless routers are limited to 11mbit/s (some have 22 mbit/s) where as with normal cables it can be up to 100mbit (1000mbit if you have a 1000mbit switch ;) )

although the speed of which i was talking about is only really needed if the people on you're lan (the computers that are linked to each other) are going to be sending files to each other and playing games on lan e.t.c

i hoped this has helped a bit - any problems you may have feel free to pm me.
  • Options
    Lipsy - it would be easier for us to advise you if you gave more background information, like where are the Pc's located in relation to each other - how many do you want to connect, etc.

You can also get a system that uses your home telephone line system as a network, but don't know if this will work with ADSL broadband as well since they use filters to keep voice and data calls at different frequencies.
  • Options
    make sure each machine has a socket for a network cable.

get a netgear modem/router combo...they usually have 4 sockets on them.

get enough cable to reach each machine

if there are more than four of you, you'll also need a switch

OR

get something like this, which does wireless, too...it's a modem/router/switch in one box

the owner of each machine will also need to spend a reasonable amount on a wireless card.

you can always use a cable for those close to the router, too
  • Options
    oh dear it sounds like a lot of money.. :\

diamond: there are 11 ppl in my house, but about 8of us want broadband. but that means all those wires would need to go between 4floors!(which have high ceilings)

im still slightly confuddled :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

diamond: there are 11 ppl in my house, but about 8of us want broadband. but that means all those wires would need to go between 4floors!(which have high ceilings)

You can have 100 metres for each wire.

1. Get an ISP i used plusnet for ADSL (which is what you get with a BT line) www.plus.net
      They're about £22 a month + line rental (about £11).
      Oh, and for the contract you can cancel whenever, the activation (one off) is £70
    2. When they tell you that ADSL is working, get a modem/router/switch combo (I'll call it a router for simplicity).
      I had a Netgear DG814 (it's not made any more, so the closest thing is a DG824, which also supports wireless.
      For 8 people, you'll need a switch/hub to go with this, because the router only has 4 sockets (unless you use wireless).
    3. Get some cables (Category 5 ethernet cables, with RJ45 plugs)
      and some network cards (about £10 each) for the computers that don't already have them (some computers have networking built in).
      If you're going to get wireless, forget the cables and get wireless network cards for each computer (about £30, I think).
    4. Put all the stuff into the computers, or get someone to do it for you.
    5. Plug the router into the microfilter (little thing that comes with the router, and plug the filter into the phone line.
    6. Enter the login details that the ISP give you, into the router or whatever settings.
    7. That's about it

When you look at the cost of cables, wireless may be a comparable price (and a lot neater than running cables everywhere). You've already got the BT phone line? If not, add £75.

Any help?
  • Options
    I have BT Broadband. £27 a month. Im changing wen the years up. When I connect, It comes on as a dial up connection so I dunno whats happened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

11 People in a House??? are you all related??? or are you all Uni students or something???

Sounds more like you should be opening your own internet cafe at home.

if you need to hook up 8 Pc's then sounds like Wireless is the way to go. Look at www.redstore.com they have cheap wireless cards But you'll need a Wirless ADSL Router - but if you're splitting the cost between 8 people it's not going to cost you guys that much for the rental or the main equipment.

Hieght of the ceiling aint that important what is .. is the material it's made from ... if you however have the main transmitter inthe middle floor then the signal should go equally between all te floors, what kind of place do you live in a block of flats???

Sounds like a really interesting project actually .. if you didn't live sooooooooo far away I'd help you set it up!!! .. You may want to look into WiFi products made by a company called "BENQ" there roduct they claim goes 400 metres instead of the standard 300 Metres .. but I'm sure whatever you buy should work .. I'd sugges USB wireless adpators fo rthe P cthat are on a length of decent cable to enbale each person to position their reciever inthe place tha get the best signal.
    I got a Wirelss PDA a few days ago and can get MSN and ICQ anywhere inthe house .. kinda handy if you want to cook in the kitchen and not miss anyone!!

Oh I assume everyone in the house is using Windows and not Linux cos I aint got a clue about Linux!!! but all our home machines are windows 2000 or XP and they are fairly easy to setup on wireless once you know how!!!
  • Options
    diamond-yes im in 2nd year at uni. i live with 9other girls and 1bloke! hehe.

thanks for your help everyone but it all sounded very complicated and a lot of hassle so im just gona get y own line in my bedroom and get bt openworld :)

mwahx
  • Options
    £27 a month?

Christ. In .au I'm paying AU$250 a month for cable internet.

That's about £100+ I think. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by goose
    £27 a month?

Christ. In .au I'm paying AU$250 a month for cable internet.

That's about £100+ I think. :(

eek thats expensive :\