Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

housing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
having been thrown out of my mums due to arguements I'm staying at my dads currently until I can get myself a place. I'm 17 now so am I able to get a place? It's important as my mental health isn't good staying here at my dads. It means I have to tolerate my dads girlfriend who used to hit me and my sis and she's a total alcoholic. I need information regarding getting myself a counsel house or something if possible. :(

Comments

• Options
    Re: housing
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    having been thrown out of my mums due to arguements I'm staying at my dads currently until I can get myself a place. I'm 17 now so am I able to get a place? It's important as my mental health isn't good staying here at my dads. It means I have to tolerate my dads girlfriend who used to hit me and my sis and she's a total alcoholic. I need information regarding getting myself a counsel house or something if possible. :(

You contacted the council or local houseing athoraties..thats the first step..
  • Options
    Entire section on housing on the site. Can't miss it.

clicky
  • Options
    Re: Re: housing
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    You contacted the council or local houseing athoraties..thats the first step..
    i filled in a form for housing and gave it to my friend to fill in her bit but i haven't got it back, so i'm considering getting another one. Does m y dad's girlfriend being an alcoholic and me being kicked out alter the situation at all?
  • Options
    I really don't know, but at some colleges have conections with housing agencies. Perhaps you could go and see a councellor of some kind at college and maybe they could give you some recommendations?
  • Options
    And for the record - it isn't as easy as you may think to get by on your own when you're 17. Hostels can be lonely places. I'd really advise using the space you have right now to try and work things out with your mum if possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    And for the record - it isn't as easy as you may think to get by on your own when you're 17. Hostels can be lonely places. I'd really advise using the space you have right now to try and work things out with your mum if possible.

i'm not moving into a hostel for my own safety, i'm gtonna try and apply for a counsel house or something. and i know it;s not easy, i've been thinking about it a fuck of a lot, but it's really the only option i have.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    i'm not moving into a hostel for my own safety, i'm gtonna try and apply for a counsel house or something. and i know it;s not easy, i've been thinking about it a fuck of a lot, but it's really the only option i have.

Yes, but there are waiting lists the length of your arm. If you really are in need of getting out then you would be offered a place in a hostel.

But if you're not that in need then, eh. I would imagine turning it down would mean you end up waiting longer. The folk in hostels will have to be found places first.
  • Options
    due to your age, your depression (is it on your medical notes?) the fact you were kicked out, should go in your favour as regards to a council house, as you are technically vunerable. You might be able to get income support too if youre not working, although it would be at a slightly reduced rate, because youre under 18. Contact both your local council and your local DSS.