Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Slut

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you offended if someone calls you a slut. I mean whore isn't that offensive to people these days. Just wondering,

Comments

• Options
    No not really, if it's meant as a joke that's exactly how I will take it. If it's meant to insult, it wouldnt really bother me, id just think of something better to say in return, then they would be the ones offended. Anyway, as I always say,whatever anyone says about me is a reflection on them, rather than me :D
  • Options
    i do get offended if anyone calls me a slut or a whore, even in joking

to be honest its my buissness how many people i sleep with (its not that many) but i know im not a slut or a whore so i dont like being called one
  • Options
    doesnt bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    nope
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    No not really, if it's meant as a joke that's exactly how I will take it. If it's meant to insult, it wouldnt really bother me, id just think of something better to say in return, then they would be the ones offended. Anyway, as I always say,whatever anyone says about me is a reflection on them, rather than me

Originally posted by *TiNK*
    doesnt bother me in the slightest.

i feel the same, i mean tis just a word anyway, some people get really worked up about it tho. As they have every right to if they feel harrassed. hmm...
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    i feel the same, i mean tis just a word anyway, some people get really worked up about it tho. As they have every right to if they feel harrassed. hmm...
    hmmm im not easily offended anyway, I think it stems from me thinking I would not want anyone to have the satisfaction of offending me :D
  • Options
    yeah, i'm quite like that myself.
  • Options
    Depends on how it's said. If it's said in a joking way, then, no I don't get offended, but if it's said in an insulting way, then I usually do get pretty offended.
  • Options
    if it was said by one of my mates then it would be in a joking way so no. but if someone honestly thought i was a slut then i would be firstly confused and then offended. same as if someone called me a whore. although somegirls are proud to be whores, usually those silly little mosher kids.

ya know how people say 'it only hurts if its true' - well i don't totally agree because if someone thinks bad of you and your not whatever they're accusing you of being then surely thats gona hurt and be very annoying/frustrating?
  • Options
    slut is an anagram of lust so both kinda related. :)

I've been called a male-slut in my times and doesn't really offend me. But then I get called loads of stuff and it's all like water of a ducks arse to me. :D
  • Options
    I would be very offended. It's nobodys business to be judgemental if you are not hurting anyone and protecting yourself.

Notice how there is no male version of "slut"?
  • Options
    If someone seriously meant to insult me, to apply the meaning of names such as 'slut' and 'whore' to me, then yes, I'd be very offended.
    I know that many swearwords, expletives and insults have become gradually accepted into 'modern' society, especially youth culture, but that doesn't stop them having a historical context that is not at all complimentary. For all the modernisation in the world, they are still primarily used, at least by most people, in a derogatory way.
    [Besides which I'm an English student - I'm obsessed with words. Did you know that 'buxom' ACTUALLY means a "submissive and obedient woman" (not big busted)?!]
  • Options
    Originally posted by cymruangel
    If someone seriously meant to insult me, to apply the meaning of names such as 'slut' and 'whore' to me, then yes, I'd be very offended.
    I know that many swearwords, expletives and insults have become gradually accepted into 'modern' society, especially youth culture, but that doesn't stop them having a historical context that is not at all complimentary. For all the modernisation in the world, they are still primarily used, at least by most people, in a derogatory way.
    [Besides which I'm an English student - I'm obsessed with words. Did you know that 'buxom' ACTUALLY means a "submissive and obediant woman" (not big busted)?!]

well said!
  • Options
    actually where I am a male slut is a manwhore! From experiance blokes around here get very offended at being called a manwhore.
  • Options
    someone once put it to me that people only get offended if they cant argue against it or if its true... or if theyre afraid its true. I woulda thought if you get called it alot and grow up around it as a joke then your not bothered about it when your older, but if your not then its different. tbh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Chav
    someone once put it to me that people only get offended if they cant argue against it or if its true... or if theyre afraid its true.
    Yes, this is true in most cases :yes:not all though :D but most :D They cold be afraid that other peoplethink its true.
  • Options
    To be honest, not really. If people have that impression of me then more fool them, they picked the wrong impression.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    To be honest, not really. If people have that impression of me then more fool them, they picked the wrong impression.

I kinda agree with u, but sometimes i let names get to me when i shouldnt

[sings] sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me[/sings]

whoever made up that rhyme didnt really have a clue
    I agree more with a song thats out at the moment

[sings] i got broken bones, not from the sticks and stones, but from the words that you called me[/sings]

more appropriate
  • Options
    I could care less. It's JUST a word. If someone took a swing for me, then I'd get offended.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner

Thas what Im sayin, uve grown up to not care wat ppl think... and I wouldnt of thought u could do that unless youve had experience in not givin a shit what people think... if u get what I mean?! :yes:

If uve grown up and noones ever said anythin nasty to ya, then all of a sudden when you 20 for the first time ever someone does... your gona take it serious. God i dont know what I mean tbh.
  • Options
    i laugh off being called a manwhore. the fact that it's kinda the opposite end of the spectrm (with me being a virgin) makes it all the more funny. though the thing is i don't usually get insulted all that much. except when people judge me if im in a certain group, because i think if they're going to have the nerve to say anything about me nasty, they better at least know me first! :mad:
  • Options
    It's usually jealousy or bitterness that causes that word anyway.I'd rather be called a slut than a liar :)
  • Options
    If it were in a joking manner, I wouldn't be offended.

I've only ever been called a slut once, and I totally disagree with those of you that say you'd only be offended if there was truth in it. I was really offended, confused and actually quite upset because it came (seemingly) out of nowhere from someone I thought I got on quite well with, in front of my friends and some of my teachers. And I can't see a grain of truth in it. So yes, it can be just as offensive if it's not true.
  • Options
    trully guys dont get praised as much as you think a manwhore really isn't something good, normally means hes all balls no brain.