Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Road safety - Making Yourself more Visable

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With Daylight Saving Making it darker earlier I'm just wondering if any of you are making an active efort to make yourself (or your kids) more reflective when you're out and about on the streets?

As a driver I have to say there's so many people that wear black from head to toe and secondly just step out in he middle of the road without even looking to see if cars are coming.

It's certainly a great help when kids and cyclists, etc have reflective stuff on them.

be_seen_2_01.gif

be_seen.gif

Comments

• Options
    Re: Road safety - Making Yourself more Visable
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    As a driver I have to say there's so many people that wear black from head to toe and secondly just step out in he middle of the road without even looking to see if cars are coming.

:yes:

i especially agree with the second bit.

yesterday i drove through 3 city centres, and the amount of people i nearly hit, just because they couldn't be arsed to check if there were any cars coming.

yes, i'm watching them, but i'm also watching the road ahead, the cars ahead, and the cars and road behind. and i expect that they'll stop, because there are cars coming.

if people don't want to get run over, they should stay the hell out of the road.
  • Options
    My Son's primary school hand out free reflectors and reflective strips for bags, caots, etc....

And they get used. :)
  • Options
    I've seen (or rather not seen) quit a few people dressed in very dark clothes - riding bikes with no relectors or lights!!

They can obviously see the cars and their oncoming lights but we can't see them until our lights are right on them.

My car is black but has alloy wheels which I make a special effort to make sure a clean of that dark layer of brake dust just to make them more reflective, so if I'm pulling out of a Junction then cars approaching from the side can see it more easily.

I'd quite like to get the kind of relfective strips the police have on their cars, nothing too over the top but I wouldn't mind a thin reflective strip along the back of the car.

Also the amount of cars on the road without Brakes lights that work is astonishing!!