Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO Jaqueline

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jaq, I`ve just been reading an article about social democracy in Denmark, and I really want to know... do you like living in Denmark? What are the good things about it? It just sounds really stifling to me. How does the thing about the Govt. deciding what higer education courses you`re allowed to do work?

Link here if you want it.

Comments

• Options
    And sorry I spelt your name wrong! :o
  • Options
    Miffy, I'll get back to you when I don't have as bad a headache as now :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Miffy, I'll get back to you when I don't have as bad a headache as now :)

Aww, poor you! :(

Of course, no rush.
  • Options
    I like living in Denmark.
    The problems we have here are peanuts compared to most other places.

But as the report showed, there's a serious lack of motivation and strive to get forward here.

Going to university is not percieved as a common thing here. It's rather percieved as extraordinary.

Social democracy has also giving the Danes this kind of mentality that equality = mediocre. You do not show what you've achieved with pride. I mean, if you've got an ace grade in a subject or something like that, you don't go around saying "I knew I'd get that". Don't go around boasting about finishing doctor studies and the likes.
    And also there's no competition. Well it's minor comparing to so many other countries.
    I'd say that the report actually went hand in hand with my own perceptions. The fact that other countries, have more success, when things aren't always served on a silverplate, but hold a certain standard and not trying to please all.
  • Options
    One thing I wasn`t sure about was where it`s mentioned that people are on full time government transfer income. Does this mean they`re virtually retired or do they have to look for work?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    One thing I wasn`t sure about was where it`s mentioned that people are on full time government transfer income. Does this mean they`re virtually retired or do they have to look for work?

Depends on which people. I mean age, and why they're on government transfer income.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I like living in Denmark.
    The problems we have here are peanuts compared to most other places.

What kind of problems are you talking about, in other places I mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    What kind of problems are you talking about, in other places I mean?

Everyone here, regardless of money and position can go to a doctor and get an education for free. In so many other countries, people just can't allow themselves to be sick as it's so expensive.

But as said the education here isn't prioritised as one of the highest with many people. Which is also why I am either coming to infest your country, or the states once I go to uni :D
  • Options
    Does make me wonder... thou a man who uses this phrase?

"People on government transfer income have a lot of extra time on their hands, and their hands do the "devil's work."

lol