Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Injection Contreception Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there, i'm new im 14 / male / derby

Anyway, me and my girlfriend who is the same age as me have recently started having sex, (i know, we're both too young, but we're both in love and felt it was the right thing to do!_

Anyway, now we have heard about the injection contreception, so i read up on it, and we've decided that we want to do it.

Ive done a search on here, and read peoples opinions on it, and information about it, but, i was just wondering..

How do you go about getting it? do you just drop into your local GPs? or goto a family planning clinic?
Also, if your on the pill, and your sick, it doesnt work right? is it the same with this?
And finally, would they let my girlfriend have it, because shes not 16 yet?

Comments

• Options
    you can go to your doctors or your local family planning clinic - they will both do it for her, but remember she needs to go back every three months for it, so if your family planning clinic isnt as close to you as your gp's, id suggest she go to her gp's- for convenience you know.
    You're right about the pill - if you get sickness or diarrohea soon after you've taken a pill, it most probably wont work - this is because the hormones in the pill would have exited your body via these methods.
    As for the injection - this is slightly different as it goes straight into your blood stream, so theres no chance of you shitting it out.
    They would let your girlfriend have it yes - as long as they dont think she's at any risk. Obviously many doctors surgeries have different policies, but at the end of the day - if its preventing her from getting pregnant then id imagine they'd be all for it - although remember she's going to get a 'use a condom' speech too, as the injection wont protect either of you from sti's. And its true, you should use a condom aswell - even if you've only been with each other. there's still things lurking around down there. :)
  • Options
    there's still things lurking around down there

Ye and he has a mind of his own! :p

Didn't know girlls had to go back every 3 months, one of my friends has a 3 year one I thought she has that until it runs out or something?

I cant understand why more girls dont get them done!
    Only know 2 girls that have them, or is it girls just dont tell us about it?
  • Options
    Im going on the injection! im going the doc's to have it done, well by the nurse there, it sooo much better than the stupid pill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Im going on the injection! im going the doc's to have it done, well by the nurse there, it sooo much better than the stupid pill.

it's not as easily tolerated as the pill, which is the reason more people aren't on it. 4 of my friends tried it and they all have bad reactions to it. but on the pill, they're fine.

plus if you have a bad reaction, you can't stop taking it, you just have to wait the 8/12 weeks for it to leave your system.

and yes, they should let your girlfriend have it, no problem. it's better for them to have a 14 year old on contraception than a 14 year old with a baby.
  • Options
    im gonna sound like such an old man here (im only 18 :crying: !!) but this guy and his gal sound like two of the most responsible 14 year olds i ever heard of. lol.....i was right.....i feel like an old man now :( lol
  • Options
    I'll just stick to the pill coz i hate needles, like BIG time i faint at the sight of them.
  • Options
    I just couldn't have an injection for it every three months. The pill is much more convenient for me, and it works for me, I dont feel the need to change to something that might react badly for 8-12 weeks.
  • Options
    Im thinking about getting the implant thing.
    i mean it lasts for 3 years, if i have a bad reaction to it i can have it removed. suits me just fine. im getting so crap at taking the pill!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve

Didn't know girlls had to go back every 3 months, one of my friends has a 3 year one I thought she has that until it runs out or something?

I cant understand why more girls dont get them done!
    Only know 2 girls that have them, or is it girls just dont tell us about it?

you're thinking of the implant, you can get that put in for up to three years. but not the injection, that wont stay in your blood for three years!

reasons for more girls not having them done have already been pointed out - one being the reactions and that. but for me - i dont like the idea of having to wait for anything up to around a year, possibly longer, to get back to my full fertility after stopping the injection.
    when you stop using contraception its usually because you want to try for a baby, now if i went on the injection, and decided that i wanted a child, i could have to wait another 18 months after stopping the injection before getting to the point of fertility where it is *insert average percentage* likely that i would fall pregnant. Obviously theres a chance before that point in time, but you're not at your full fertility capability; whereas though im on the pill now, i could stop it tomorrow and be pregnant in a month.

i know that when i stop using contraception its because i want a child, and i cant wait all that time to get my fertility back up - im impatient!

thats my reason anyway, and to be honest o doubnt it makes sense, i've really rushed this (program i want to watch at 10.30). maybe i'll come back and edit if i can remember!
  • Options
    I'd rather be on the pill than the injection.

Simply because I'd feel I had more control over it, if that makes sense? If I miss a pill, I know I've done it, whereas if it was an injection every three months, it's more out of control. I just wouldn't trust it.

Same goes for the patch or implants.
  • Options
    Sorry this reply is a little late in the day, but hopefully it'll still help!
    We have a feature all about the contraceptive injection here. Plus loads of info about other forms of contraception here.
    As far as the situation with the doctor, it really works on an indiviual basis when girls are under 16. If the doctor can tell that your girlfriend is happy with being in a sexual relationship and responsible enough for her actions then there's no reason why she shouldn't be given contraption. Read up about the different types wioth the links I have given you and have a good chat about them before hand - and support her in whatever she chooses. Also, don't forget that sex without condoms doesn't protect you against STIs - read all about that here.
    Your girlfriend can go to either of the following organisations (asd well as her GP) for advice on all these issues:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334