Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friendship vs Relationship - Double Standards?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel that today there are double standards when it comes to men, women, friendships and relationships. What I am talking about, is how a person prioritises their time with either. For example, a girl must put her friends before her boyfriend, or she is deemed a bad friend. It comes from the old adage, "Boyfriends come and go, but friends blah blah blah."

Whereas with a guy, if he chooses to put his friends before his girlfriend, he is automatically deemed a bad boyfriend. If he puts his girlfriend first, he's great, but if a woman did that with her boyfriend, her friends would call her obsessed, and her boyfriend might start to call her clingy.

Does anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Friendship vs Relationship - Double Standards?
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I feel that today there are double standards when it comes to men, women, friendships and relationships. What I am talking about, is how a person prioritises their time with either. For example, a girl must put her friends before her boyfriend, or she is deemed a bad friend. It comes from the old adage, "Boyfriends come and go, but friends blah blah blah."

Whereas with a guy, if he chooses to put his friends before his girlfriend, he is automatically deemed a bad boyfriend. If he puts his girlfriend first, he's great, but if a woman did that with her boyfriend, her friends would call her obsessed, and her boyfriend might start to call her clingy.

Does anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Yer I understand completely. And I wouldn't call a girl clingy if she put me first. I've had little of experience of relationships but from the experience I have had I've always had to 'take a back seat' in the girls life - which I guess is ok. But sucks :(
  • Options
    My boyfriend complained the other week, when I said I got on with my (male) best friend better than anyone in the world. He thinks I should like him more than everyone, and fair enough, I do... but I'm pretty sure he would rather be with his mates! Unfortunately I didn't think of that argument at the time, ah well, next time... lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I always thought it was the other way round...

a woman falls in love and she wants her boyfriend to be the centre of her world, expects him to be her social life and goes nuts if he arranges a night out with his friends but doesn't include her.

where as men get confused by their girlfriends wanting to be with them all the time, can't understand what they have done wrong when they make arrangements without 'checking' it ok with their girlfriend first.

Many of the posts on here from girls who are angry at their boydriends would suggest that this is true!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I always thought it was the other way round...

a woman falls in love and she wants her boyfriend to be the centre of her world, expects him to be her social life and goes nuts if he arranges a night out with his friends but doesn't include her.

where as men get confused by their girlfriends wanting to be with them all the time, can't understand what they have done wrong when they make arrangements without 'checking' it ok with their girlfriend first.

Many of the posts on here from girls who are angry at their boydriends would suggest that this is true!

Nah not always. You just cant put boys and girls in to these categories, it applies to both. Take me for instance, i would drop my mates if my gf wanted to go out but i know she would never do the same.
    Whereas my friend always drops his GF for us. Just depends what your relationship is like.
  • Options
    Yes fully, how on earth do any relationships last, with such conflicting views?
  • Options
    AS vics av says
    fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
    its always going to be like that!

You have to prioitise whats most important, over time your partner will become more important but never drop your friends completely! I will rarely stay with a girl if I her and mates cant get on in someway- (to an extent) !

Oh and I agree with the saying women will come and go but true friends last forever!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve
    AS vics av says its always going to be like that!

You have to prioitise whats most important, over time your partner will become more important but never drop your friends completely! I will rarely stay with a girl if I her and mates cant get on in someway- (to an extent) !

Oh and I agree with the saying women will come and go but true friends last forever!
    Yes, it's all about coming to a balance. If a relationship is going to work, this usually happens naturally :yes: