Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ema

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i really don't think its fair that some students should be untitled to EMA and others not.
i don't think it should depend on your parents wages, i think that every student should be entitled to it, because like me, my parents earn just over the amount you earn before you get EMA and they can't afford to buy me things, and so i have to miss out on trips and parties and things my mates get to go on because they have the money. we had this discussion in one of my lessons at college today and everybody (those on EMA and those not) said that they reckon all students going to college and uni should get it, what do you reckon?

ps: for those who don't know know what EMA is, its an amount of money (say £20) that students who are going into further education recieve every week if their parents earn under £30,000 a year.

Comments

• Options
    We have these in Denmark too.
    Every student can get a minimum, which is a bit more than the equivalent of £100 a month from the age of 18. Now, if your parents earn less than a specific amount you're entitled more, and if they're divorced you can get more etc. etc. etc.
    The further you get into education, the more you get.

The school can seek to get dispensation for students who can't get more than the minimum amount even if they're selfsufficient or something similar.
  • Options
    It must depend on region, because my dad earns under 30k, and the means tests for LEA stuff only worry about his income.

I recieved no such grant when I went to college, some did, however, because they lived within the boundaries of Southampton City Council, rather than New Forest District.

Why, however, should students be paid to go to college?

When I went to college, I worked weekends to fund trips and parties etc.

People that go to uni get a student loan...which is also means tested, as are fees.

I agree with you on the fact that any financial aid should be the same for all.
    I get the full student loan, and an absolute minimum of fees because of the reason stated above. My dad's girlfriend is the main earner in the house, but as she is not related to me, her income is not taken into account.

The problem lies in the fact that the parents may earn loads (or just borderline) and either have significant outgoings, or any other reason not to spend money on their offspring's education.
    The parent's earnings are not the fault of the student...just because they earn a wedge (or the government think they do) does not mean they'll spend it on fees/rent etc.

In short, I agree that it should be the same for all students regardless of parental income, but the idea of getting paid to go to college is a bit strange, as you, in effect are the "customer" to the college, as they provide you with a service...not the other way round as in employment.
  • Options
    It should be put on a rolling reduction rather than cut off at a certain point to save such situations from happening....

Badseed it is on the interests of the govt to encourage a more highly educated population, if providing such an allowance helps then they have every reason to do it.........