Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

monsanto pulling out.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
of europe and the uk because we don't want GM crops and foodstuffs.
lots of job losses i suppose but who the fuck do they think they are?
the overwhelming majority of people have said no to the stuff. not in our environment thankyou ...it's not their environment to do as they please with. it's ours and we have spoken.

it reminds me of people back in the 50's and 60's campaigning against nuclear power and it's dangours ...immediate and long term ...oh don't be silly it will all be fine. well it isn't fine. it's a fucking frightening mess! sellafield in cumbria has thousands of tons of untreated and treated waste that will remain the most dangerous stuff on the planet for the next 250,000yrs! how to deal with it? no one has a fucking clue!
here in north wales we have trassfynnedd nuclear power station ...closed for the last few years. apparently it was safer when it was running. they now have to figure out how to bury the thing in concrete and maintain it for a few thousand years.
wilfa nuclear power station on angelsey is closing in three years ...what to do with it ...again no one has a clue.
if the protesters had won in the past we wouldn't have such scary and expensive problems ...so i'm made up that monsanto are going ...jobs or no ...good riddance.

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant! I hate Monsanto, I hate GM foods, and above all I hate Tony fucking Blair patronising everybody and telling us "look, it is not dangerous, trust me."

The GM lobby's claims that cross contamination was unlikely and that GM pollen could only be carried a couple of miles by the wind were so ridiculous it beggars belief.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The loss of jobs and livelyhoods is regrettable, but it is nice to know that people feel so strongly about this issue - presumably strongly enough to scare the powers-that-be into not succumbing to blackmail from an irresponsible multinational...... That news has made me so ridiculously happy!!
  • Options
    Good riddance.

As for the nuclear issue, I think every single MP should be forced to live in the village four miles from Sellafield which has 30 times the normal rate of cancer.

My fiances family live about 25 miles from Sellafield, and in her small village alone three children- all aged about 12- have serious rare defects. One girl doesnt have a left hip-bone, my fiances sister has serious heart defects and anothrr girl in the village has nearly the same defect, one that affects about 1 in 1million people. Coincidence?

Not that well ever know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    The loss of jobs and livelyhoods is regrettable

I dont think it is, if you get a livelihood from peddling GM crap them tyou dont deserve the livelihood.

And the people selling terminator crops (i.e they cant reproduce, therefore a new batch needs to be bought every year) to Africa deserve to be shot.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I dont think it is, if you get a livelihood from peddling GM crap them tyou dont deserve the livelihood.

I was thinking more about the people just getting on with the job and not making the decisions. I'd like to believe that everyone can afford to be ethical, but I don't think that is realistic.

but that is a whole new thread.....

Strongly agree Mr Roll, it does seem like we need to make a stand on this one before the damage is irreversable, just like you say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

What a wonderful positive attitude to have, you surprise me.

How far would you take your ethical stance when you have to put food on the table for your family?

How many other jobs could you apply that irrational thinking to?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    What a wonderful positive attitude to have, you surprise me.

How far would you take your ethical stance when you have to put food on the table for your family?

How many other jobs could you apply that irrational thinking to?

More than you would think probably.

So many people, companies and institutions have links to 'bad' things...........
  • Options
    Consumers won't
    buy it

Retailers won't
    sell it

Farmers won't
    grow it

Scientists won't
    back it

Insurers won't
    cover it