Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anti-hunting supporters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the hunting arguemnet was brought up in skool recently and nearly every1 said they were against hunting for foxes, to be honest, does n e 1 give a fuck if foxes are being killed somewhere in a field, does n e 1 lose sleep over this fact, i cerytainly don't, if u get a kick out of wearing skin tight white bottoms,red jackets,black hat, goin out on horses and dogs and killing foxes then fair play, i don't have a problem with that, i think its just average ppl who hate the upper classes that go out and protest.

Comments

• Options
    i have chickens ...i kill foxes.
    i just got a big shiny new rifle with telescopic sights! a big 4million candle power lamp ...so at the weekend i'll be going lamping ...fur and blood all over the place.
  • Options
    Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by turlough
    i think its just average ppl who hate the upper classes that go out and protest.

yes, and it's the upper classes that are in with the people that make the legislation that keeps the working man DOWN. in his place. like the bottom-dwelling scum-sucking no hoper that he is.

jolly good old chap!
  • Options
    Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by ladybirdsdie
    yes, and it's the upper classes that are in with the people that make the legislation that keeps the working man DOWN. in his place. like the bottom-dwelling scum-sucking no hoper that he is.

jolly good old chap!
    why are people of the impression that only the well heeled inbreds go hunting?
  • Options
    Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by turlough
    i think its just average ppl who hate the upper classes that go out and protest.

Define "average" seeing as the average is usually the most frequent, the majority for example. Are you speaking of education or socio-economic status (how much money the earn) or general intelligence?

Actually it takes one hell of a lot to stand up for what you believe and people who protest in my opinion are stronger than the people who stand at the side and criticise them for going out and trying to change something. At the same time I disagree strongy with violent animal rights protestors. If animals should be treated as equal to people, then is it not the same hurting a person as it is hurting an animal.

I wouldn't call them 'average' at all, I don't see any protestors like that, even if they're working on something I disagree with.
    Originally posted by Moroccan Roll
    i have chickens ...i kill foxes.

So you kill foxes to stop them getting at the chickens? That's fair enough, but what I don't see as reasonable to kill anything for sport. If I set my friend's dog on a cat in the street and watched it ripped to pieces, could I get away with claiming it as a sport?

Hell no! It'd be animal cruelty. However, I suppose that affluence makes you above the law in many cases. Personally I cannot see any good reason to hunt for a social activity, sport, hobby or whatever those monsters wish to call it. Especially in such a cruel manner. can anybody back it up?
  • Options
    Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by MoonRat

If I set my friend's dog on a cat in the street and watched it ripped to pieces, could I get away with claiming it as a sport?

never thought of it that way before moon!

at the weekend i'll be coming home with about a dozen rabbits for the freezer ...some i'll eat but most will go to the dog. rabbit hunting is quite big in these parts. and yes ...occasionaly one will get wounded and escape ...thats life in the wild though ...or maybe i should say thats death ...
  • Options
    Indeed, but you eat the rabbits, fox hunters don't eat the fox they kill and by culling foxes they're depriving the countryside of a natural predator that kills off vermin for crops. 90% of farmland is crops in fact.

But to kill an animal for food, in my opinion and to do it humanely is justified.
  • Options
    Indeed, but you eat the rabbits, fox hunters don't eat the fox they kill and by culling foxes they're depriving the countryside of a natural predator that kills off vermin for crops. 90% of farmland is crops in fact.

But to kill an animal for food, in my opinion and to do it humanely is justified.
    your simple little statement about the cat and the dog is brilliant. maybe the anti hunt crowd should set up some spoof meetings where dogs tear cats to peices for entertainment ...oh the horror in the papers ...new cruelty craze sweeps britain ...it could be just the thing to stop fox hunting!
  • Options
    I'm awaiting a fox hunting game for the playstation two,
  • Options
    I'm awaiting a fox hunting game for the playstation two,
    LMFAO!
  • Options
    Awwww c'mon people! We want an arguement here... isn't anybody going to argue for foxhunting?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    why are people of the impression that only the well heeled inbreds go hunting?

no idea mate.

round my way there are no 'well heeled inbreds' in hunts.

they are mostly made up of stableworkers earning slightly less than minimum wage, and a few local country people.

then again, there's SO much bullshit being rolled out by the anti-hunting peeps that it's not hard to believe they tell people that.

here's a factoid for you: in my area one year, more horses were killed by anti-hunt protesters than foxes were killed by hunts.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    here's a factoid for you: in my area one year, more horses were killed by anti-hunt protesters than foxes were killed by hunts.

Really... you know there's one thing that pisses me off and it's how some animal rights protestors will hurt the dogs and the horses... that makes them little more than hypocrites. I mean if they're real animal lovers then they wouldn't do that... right?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Really... you know there's one thing that pisses me off and it's how some animal rights protestors will hurt the dogs and the horses... that makes them little more than hypocrites. I mean if they're real animal lovers then they wouldn't do that... right?

They don't ime. I used to be a hunt sab (although I haven't been for nearly 10 years), and sabs don't harm the horses or dogs. Its a myth put about by the pro-hunting lobby. In fact, all the injuries to horses and dogs that I used to see were caused by the hunt.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by kaffrin

bullshit
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: anti-hunting supporters
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    bullshit

:rolleyes:

three were killed after the protesters threw fireworks at them, and they bolted and fell nastily, two more broke legs after protesters 'fixed up' fences and they got caught up jumping them.

in the same year, the hunt caught three foxes.
  • Options
    hunt sabs do not throw fireworks or "fix up" fences.
    At least they didn't when I was a sab, I can't believe they do so now. I can believe local kids would though, but not anyone in any way affiliated with the HSA. They'd get their heads kicked in for a start if they hurt an animal.
  • Options
    hunt sabs do not throw fireworks or "fix up" fences.
    At least they didn't when I was a sab.

just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

and this was some time ago, mid 90s. i don't know what the deal is now, i haven't heard of any incidents like this for years. but it used to happen a lot, at least around my way.
  • Options
    Did you see it? Or just hear about it? Theres an awful lot of nonsense spouted by pro-hunting folk.
  • Options
    Did you see it? Or just hear about it? Theres an awful lot of nonsense spouted by pro-hunting folk.

i heard about it, but one of the horses was from the stables i rode at, and you're hardly going to get rid of a horse just so you can tell everyone he was hit by a firework and broke his legs trying to get away, y'know? i'm pretty sure it was on the news at the time too, it was definitely in the paper.

and there's a lot of nonsense sprouted by the anti-hunting folk too.
  • Options
    Well I've looked in to being a hunt sab and all the websites say that we mustn't hurt the animals. Yet at the same time I've heard of animal rights protestors hurting people.

And the horses... Apparently with hunting and racing they're ridden before they're old enough to be... and this ends up messing up their legs when they're "broken in" too young. I've heard stories of people burning the horses legs with red hot pokers to numb the nerves down there and that disgusts me.

Ohhh and once the horses reach a certain age they're sold to a slughter house.
  • Options
    hope i don't come back in the next life as a horse or a fox ...
  • Options
  • Options
    And the horses... Apparently with hunting and racing they're ridden before they're old enough to be... and this ends up messing up their legs when they're "broken in" too young. I've heard stories of people burning the horses legs with red hot pokers to numb the nerves down there and that disgusts me.

Ohhh and once the horses reach a certain age they're sold to a slughter house.

not true of any of the horses i had experience with. they were all well loved and well cared for. all the horses i knew that were hunters were also riding school horses, so they had loads of young horse lovers looking out for them. i rode a horse in my lessons who was also a hunter, and he was around 17 (pretty old for a horse) and still kicking. after he got too old and arthritic to ride, he was sold to a local girl to keep her horse company.

i can't speak for racing, cause they do break in their horses too young, and that can lead to trouble later on. although i also used to ride an ex-racehorse, and he was about 15, and still galloping off whenever he saw a stretch of grass, so they're not all destined for slaughter. although i'm guessing that it does happen a lot in racing, cause it's all about the money, and i don't think they care as much about the animals.
  • Options
  • Options
    ^
    not true ime. There is a class element, but its not teh major issue. Why do you think most working class bloodsports are illegal? Yet hunting isn't?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    er...because the entertainment aspect is secondary to that of pest control?

Look above, three foxes were killed in a year. So this leads to a couple of conclusions.

Either

a) There aren't that many foxes in kaffrin's area, so why is a hunt required?

b) It's not an effective form of pest control, so why use hunts at all?

Personally, I don't care what "class" hunters are. Personally I believe them to be of a very low cast because of the inhumane way in which they act.

I think that someone else here covered it well, if the fox was a family pet then there would be uproar at the manner of their death.
    people do not care about cruelty to other vermin - do people care much that cats play with mice, or that rats are poisoned painfully, or that cockroaches are crushed, or that flies and wasps are sprayed? foxes are cute and fluffy so must be saved, but ugly things "deserve" to die.

Cats tend not to organise themselves into packs first though, do they? We tend not to smear the blood of the rat/cockroach etcon the faces of "virgin" hunters, we don't all dress up in our finery, sound horns or go for a drink afterwards. In fact, none of the examples you gave has a "social" element to it at all.

And for me that is the crux. Personally I don't believe that this is about "pest control" at all. No other "pest" is hunted in such a way. My experience of hunts, bear in mind that I am a country boy, shows me that the fox is secondary to the "jolly" that accompanies the hunt.

It just seems to me that the hunt is about fun and not pest control. If that is how people want to get their jollies then I really cannot help but compare it to badger hunts or hare coursing...
  • Options
    er...because the entertainment aspect is secondary to that of pest control? what purpose did cock fighting or bull baiting have other than as entertainment? foxhunting is a form of pest control. i maintain that it is a class issue. ask people why they want it banned and most of them reply along the lines of "because of the toffs being cruel."

absolute rubbish. Foxhunting is next to useless as pest control. You know and I know it.
    people do not care about cruelty to other vermin - do people care much that cats play with mice, or that rats are poisoned painfully, or that cockroaches are crushed, or that flies and wasps are sprayed? foxes are cute and fluffy so must be saved, but ugly things "deserve" to die.

Actually, most animal rights folk that I know do care about cruelty to other animals. And your use of the term "vermin" is questionable...