Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How safe are the tubes ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just read This and wonder what you feel about safety on the tubes. It is rather worrying when there is yet another accident.

Comments

• Options
    The tubes have been fine. Up to the point where the maintenance cxontract was farmed out in a, take a wild guess, PFI contract. Profit making companies have no place in our national infrastructure.
  • Options
    Scary stuff. Not sure it's going to put me off the tubes, though, I have to admit. I guess I'm just so used to them I don't care.

Hmmm. But they do need a good sort. Maybe one of us should run for mayor and sort it out! Who's with me?!

Sorry, I think I'm delirious with fatigue so I'm off to bed now.

Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    Indeed Simbelyne. Isn't funny how the Tube has been incident-free for many years (excluding the Central Line thing, which was a design defect with the rolling stock) and shortly after mantenience is given to private companies everything goes pear-shaped?

Good old PFIs! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Are any of you afraid of using the tubes, if you be totally honest. Or are you of the opinion they are safer than road transport ?

I personally do not like the tubes, they scare me lol. They have big, tall escalators and people running everywhere, its the whole tube thing that scares me.
    When I visited family I had to catch a train into central London but instead of using the tube I took a taxi to the train station where I could catch my connecting train. I kept away from the tubes.
  • Options
    i live in the country ...last year i spent three days in london wizzing about on the tube. my god there were millions of people all rushing nowhere and everywhere as fast as possible. the tube was shaking and bannging and people crammed like sheep into a container from hell. for the whole three days i kept saying to emily that it was like some kind of entertaining nightmare i'd go again but this time i know it's a theme park ...
  • Options
    Londoners pay FAR too much money out in tax to the rest of the country, some 19 billion by the last count that I heard. At least 2 of that should stay within London and be spent on the transport system. If we kept that level of spending up for the next five years or so we could make a massive impact on the quality of the tube, buses, trains etc.
  • Options
    Railways (both underground and overground) are statistically far safer than roads, so I would definitely prefer to use the train. I've never been to London, but I have used the Glasgow underground, and I found it very fast and efficient, far better than getting stuck in traffic jams above ground.