Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Amsterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im heading off to the Dam in April (a few of us all have birthdays in the first two weeks so thought it would be a good idea) anyway, whats this about the new law coming into effect in April? Is it at the end or beginning of April?

Ive heard that they are closing most of the cannabis cafes, is this true? I thought they were closing larger ones that have connections with drug dealing such as the Bulldog owned by the Hells Angels (i pretty sure that was the one) and the Grasshopper etc, which wouldnt effect us anyway because we would be looking to the smaller cafes, or are they closing a vast majority?

Will the new laws effect our long weekend?

And ive heard from a few people that the shrroms out there arent to be messed with. I know of three people who have had a great time on shrooms in the Dam, as well as at least half a dozen people who after using them out there have sworn never to touch them again. Any personal experiences with shrooms from the dam?

Comments

• Options
    I will return hopefully this winter for my birthday.
  • Options
    I got back from the Dam two weeks ago after spending four days there. Bliss!

There had been a fairly recent crackdown on places that sold hard drugs illegally but otherwise there was no talk of them shutting down the legitimate venues. In fact, if the authorites did try and shut them down, there would be a riot .... coffee shops are used like a pub is used here - for relaxation and meeting friends - and it is an accepted way of life there that would not be given up without a fight.

There are more than one Bulldog coffee houses so perhaps just one is closing down? If at all?

I stayed on the Dam opposite the Royal Palace and the nearby Abraxas was a very friendly coffee shop with excellent smoke. Try the hot chocolate with hash! :)http://www.abraxas.tv/

Here is a link to a map of the coffee shops in Amsterdam :-

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/ACDfrmGu.html

Very useful when you need somewhere to put up your feet and watch the world go by while enveloped by a cloud of smoke.

I saw mushrooms on sale but never tried any 'cos the thought of possibly having a bad trip (although I've never had one) in a strange city made me a little nervous.

Have a really cool time though! :)
  • Options
    amsterdam

Hi,

that law has had a one year extension on it. its not legal until 2005 and even then most people involved with coffeeshops dont see it as a big problem.

amsterdam in april should be cool! i have been there 3 times in the past 2 years! november, march and august. had to say august was the best! heh

mushies rock out there. really nice and strong! the dutch government have banned dried mushrooms now and all the smartshops only have fresh ones.. they sell 3 types, hawaiians (strongest) mexicans (middle) and the truffles we get over here. if your interested i still have the leaflet that they give you when you buy them, i can scan it in if anyone wants to look at it.

doing any psychedelic in amsterdam may be a bit daunting like, but i can heartly recommend it! many fine memorys.. including eating 6 packs of hawaiian mushrooms on the steps of the royal palace! hehe..... if your going to do any i would maybe start with the mexican ones, there not as strong.

out of all the trips i have had in amsterdam i have only had bad trip twice... for your first trip there id do them in your hotel like to get a "grip" of them.

i know that "mellow yellow" cafe too! its not far from the heineken brewery! have they finished all the roadworks there Kayleygrub?

just a little way up from the mellow yellow cafe is a coffeeshop called "coffeeshop free" (its a really small coffeeshop) and they have the most amazing k2 skunk there.. smoked a load of it with a pure pipe in there in august and was extremely stoned heh.. memorys.

anyway.. im sure i am rambling!

catch you later.

darren

p.s forgot to add. if you are going to do mushrooms, do go and have a gander at the art in the van gogh museum. if its your birthday when you go.. entrance is free! its an experience! and another thing, if your going to use the trams a lot, dont pay each fare, use a strippenkart you can get them in centraal station.. works out 6eu to use the tram 8 times. big saver! once last tip. when the dealers approach you and go "pss want any e's man" just blank them, they get the point and stop pestering you heh..
    hope you enjoy it.. amsterdam rules!
  • Options
    Thx for your replys..

i wasnt considering taking mushies out there, theyre not my thing, i think theyre a waste of time to be honest but was more curious for the sake of my friends.

oooh Dam, cant wait!
  • Options
    Re: amsterdam

amsterdam.
  • Options
    the mellow yellow was the first coffeeshop in amsterdam i went to it was right next to the hotel i was staying in heh.
    it was ok. wouldnt say it was the best! i would say that "high times" and coffeeshop 36 in the RLD were some of the best imo

there were 2 levels in the mellow yellow if i remember ? and you had to go up these steps to go see the "dealer"

them roadworks were a pain in the ass! just down from the mellow yellow there was this stupid barrier on the footpath and i can remember falling over that in august this year (mushrooms fault not mine hehe)

i never purchased any pre-rolled joints, i am lucky i can roll a sweet spliff whatever state i get into! heh.

*one coffeeshop memory* when i was in amsterdam in march 2002 i was in my hotel, coming up from about 8 packs of mushrooms. i drank 3/4 of a bottle of smirnoff black. went to mellow yellow for a smoke, was talking to this old guy in there. looked round and the internet station they had there had all the green characters from the matrix going thru it heh.. was quite amusing.

catch you later.
    paddestoelen.
  • Options
    I went to Amsterdam for a week at the start of July and it was fantastic. I agree with Teagan - Abraxas is great - definitely go there. The stairs are a bit dodgy when you're fucked though! The Rokerij in the Leidseplein district is really nice as well, with good hot chocolate and music./ And really fit staff ;). Also, and I can't stress this enough, go to Xtreme and buy some Ice Hash. It's the best stuff you will ever get - if you like a spacey high anyway. We gave a little bit to a 50-something American guy who's been all over the world, Amsterdam dozens of times etc for his pipe. He loved it :D. Erm, where else? Oh yeah, Kashmir Lunge has loads of soft seats and is really chilled, though the Indian theme is a bit overpowering! And everywhere does fantastic fresh orange juice, though they make sure you're always drinking something. Our other favourite was Barney's. They do great food in the café, and next door there's the coffeeshop. You can skin up and have a smoke with your breakfast in the café tho!

Have a top time :thumb:
  • Options
    Hey lil minx, i don't know when you are planning to go, but at the end of April (3oth) they have Queens Day. It's excellent. It's just a massive street party all over Amsterdam, Djs in the street etc. It actually starts the night before on 29th. I lived there on and off for 2 years from the end of 98' and have been going for Queens Day eversince it is a mental experience.

As for the mushies, i'm not big on triping these days but i have to say the times i did do them, i had a wiked time. :crazyeyes

I haven't kept up with the news on the Coffee Shops and stuff, but as i remember it, they have closed quite a few down, you know after raiding them and finding harder drugs, under which circumstances they rarely open again if ever. It is not possible to open a new coffee shop or even legallt sell/buy an existing one, becasue they don't really want so many so everything is so much stricter. As for the well known Coffee Shops i don't think they willbe going. I could be wrong, i was there for Queens Day this year and everything was as normal then.

You are gonna have a fucking fantastic time matey........Enjoy :naughty: :yes: