Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

piercing probs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm, well I got my nose pierced just over 4 weeks ago. And today my dad pointed out I have a spot-type thing beside it, it's like, right beside the hole. It's not like a red spot, it's more like... a blister i guess, looks like summat would come out if i popped it. which i don't think i should do. but like... i've been a bit lax about cleaning it (with savlon spray i mean - i haven't just not been washing my face!), and i've been changing the stud, plus it keeps getting knocked and pulled halfway out, which tends to hurt. so... is it infected? and if so what should i do? it's not red or anything, but the stud feels a lil tight and painful when i move it, but then again the tightness is meant to fluctuate...

any help gratefully received!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hmph i've taken it out cos it hurt more this morning - had probs moving it. the spot is on both sides but it's not really... a spot, it's just like skin really :confused: i know this cos i kinda pulled it off :-P however, i think they might leave a scar because i know ear piercings do, sometimes :-P

i did love it but... it was more hassle than anything else :( kept getting caught on things, eg my boyfriend's nose when i was kissing him :(

and yeah... i wasn't meant to take it out for longer than 6 weeks, can't remember exactly how long but like... i actually *had* to take my ear cartilage studs out after a couple of weeks, cos they swelled up, and nothing went wrong with them. i think as long as you replace them straight away it should be ok, and i did, however in this case i think the different sizes fucked it up a bit

ewww i feel sick :(
  • Options
    No mean to preach, BUT:
    One should always do one's homework.
    Before deciding on a PERMANENT piercing, Yes, Permanent.. most piercings scar even when taken out and left to heal it is always advisable to research what you are about to get yourself into.
    Read books, talk to piercers and piercee's and look on the internet. Learn about the possible and probable problems relating to each body mod, and the healing times for each. (They tend to differ, depending on area of body)
    The "spot" you were referring to is called a "KELOID", which is usually healed just by salt water soaks 3 times a day.
    And, by NO MEANS should you EVER use an antisceptic cream or lotion on any type of piercing (fresh or healed).
    All it does is provide germs an extra comfy place to breed in. So ONLY use a salt soaks: a mixture of boiled water, (not boiling!) and salt.
    I repeat, do NOT use creams or lotions on a piercing!

If you need any more piercing advice, don't hesitate to PM me and ask :)

Ilora x
  • Options
    i had my tongue pierced and i had to keep rinsing my mouth with warm salt water which was ming.but nuffin got infected or n e fink.
  • Options
    No mean to preach, BUT:
    One should always do one's homework.
    Before deciding on a PERMANENT piercing, Yes, Permanent.. most piercings scar even when taken out and left to heal it is always advisable to research what you are about to get yourself into.
    Read books, talk to piercers and piercee's and look on the internet. Learn about the possible and probable problems relating to each body mod, and the healing times for each. (They tend to differ, depending on area of body)
    The "spot" you were referring to is called a "KELOID", which is usually healed just by salt water soaks 3 times a day.
    And, by NO MEANS should you EVER use an antisceptic cream or lotion on any type of piercing (fresh or healed).
    All it does is provide germs an extra comfy place to breed in. So ONLY use a salt soaks: a mixture of boiled water, (not boiling!) and salt.
    I repeat, do NOT use creams or lotions on a piercing!

If you need any more piercing advice, don't hesitate to PM me and ask

Ilora x

i did do my homework, i looked at many sites, talked about it with a few people and went round 3 piercing places before deciding on a good/safe one. it's not savlon cream i'm using, it's the antiseptic spray, which was recommended to me by the piercer, who used it himself on his lip piercing.

thanks for the help with the spot-thing tho. i actually removed it (yes, eww, i know) or most of it at least, and it doesn't really hurt any more. yes, it's a lil scabby but at least it doesn't look like it's gonna burst any more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon

:yes::yes::yes:

tcp, savlon, ANY antiseptic is TOO HARSH for a healing piercing.

saline (salt) solution is the only thing gentle enough to keep it happy.

you can even buy it ready made up at the chemist, so as long as you keep it sterile, it's just as easy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    right so they give you savlon when you get something pierced and tell you to use it/ask if you have any then tell you to use it.. why exactly? actually i dont care.. ive looked after my piercings the way i have and theyre all fine... except for maybe the top of my navel.. and thats never been right (but its the only one i didnt use savlon on)
    The only reason piercers do that is because they are uneducated. Simple As.
  • Options
    I'm not (yet). I just know my stuff.
    I've been offered an aprenticeship at my local piercers, so I'd say I knew what I was talking about.

Ilora x