Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

IDS and the Tory Party

So, the House of Commons is to launch and inquiry into IDS' employment of his wife as secretary- a post that is paid with public money. Story.

IDS vigorously maintains he's done nothing wrong. But even if the inquiry fully clears his name some damage will have been done, not least the apparent fact that a number of people within the party are pretty unhappy with his leadership and will stop at nothing to kick him out.

So who could be behind all this plotting and leaking? Several people come to mind...

I personally would like IDS to stay. I think practically anyone who was chosen as the new leader would do much better than him. And loathe New Labour as I do, I can't possibly contemplate the prospect of a Tory victory- not as the party stands currently anyway. Sending asylum seekers "to islands far away" and all that... :rolleyes:

But if anyone were to replace him I think Clarke, despite his stance on the euro that goes against most of the party, would be most effective candidate. I used to think Letwin wasn't too bad but after his "far away island" and "I'd rather cut my arm than send my son to the local state school" comments I've changed my mind.

Who do people here think would make the best leader of the Conservative Party?
(Other than Tony Blair of course)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: IDS and the Tory Party
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Who do people here think would make the best leader of the Conservative Party?
    (Other than Tony Blair of course)
    Me! :)

Seriously, I was always a big fan of William Hague. Can we have him back please? If not, I'd have Oliver Letwin or Ann Widdecombe. Or after the success of Arnold Beefburger in the Californian elections, perhaps its time for Boris Jonsson to become leader of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    Why is Boris comparable to Scwarznegger? :confused:

Clarke makes a living killing children in the third world, he is a scum bag...........
  • Options
    Perfect for a Tory leader.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why is Boris comparable to Scwarznegger? :confused:
    They're both a joke?

Every time Boris appears in Have I Got News For You it turns up to be memorable. :D

How about born-again compassionate Tory Michael 'Plotillo'?
  • Options
    I’d like to see William Hague back, someone who is honest, speaks is mind, and has the interests of the British people at heart. He is the complete opposite of Blair and would stand an excellent chance of beating him at the next GE.

I bet he now regrets quitting as leader in 2001.
  • Options
    Does anyone, even the Tories here, really believe that they have a realistic chance of being elected in a couple of years time?

Bear in mind that there is no-one on their ranks who seem motivate the public. Except Ken Clarke who doesn;t actually stand for the one issue which really divides the party - Europe?

BTW Does any have any sympathy for IDS when you consider that he stabbed Major in the back so often when he was leader?

As for who would be best as next Tory leader, my vote goes to Tony Blair ;)
  • Options
    Re: IDS and the Tory Party
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I used to think Letwin wasn't too bad but after his "far away island" and "I'd rather cut my arm than send my son to the local state school" comments I've changed my mind.

i was impressed with letwin right up to those above comments! especialy on schools.
    lets face it ...we now have a conservative government in power that is more right wing than edward heaths government in the 70's. but still preferable to the mrs hatchit style tories.
    the tories realy are lost in the wilderness. they are all bonkers ...out of touch ...unfit for government.
    lets stick for now with the tonies.
  • Options
    As a leftie libertarian and therefore not a fan of any of the three main parties (though I'd go Lib Dems if pushed), I'm torn with wanting someone to provide effective opposition to New Labour, and wanting someone in there who's going to make sure the Tories wouldn't get re-elected. Whatever ills New Labour have caused, I'd still rather they were in government than the Tories.

Someone more charismatic than IDS would be good tho (Clarke? I think he's ruled himself out hough, and he'd never win a leadership election) - anyone would've capitalised on the WMD fiasco better than the Tories have, not least because they swallowed all the "evidence" themselves. :rolleyes: