Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you pay your TV license?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum doesn't. She couldn't get a reception with the communal ariel and had to buy one which now sits on top of the TV. She doesn't watch it because she looks after my grandparents all day. I watch it. It is an outrage that people have to pay £116 to watch the shite and repeats on TV. So, as long as the shit stays on, the purse stays closed. Simple as.

When the jumped up little **** from TV licensing comes, Ill just say

"Im sorry but my Aunt Elizabeth (or any name that comes to mind) is on holiday just now, Im just here looking after her cat' You'll have to comeback in 3 weeks"

Other people should follow suit. Why pay for a load of shite and repeats?

Comments

• Options
    I wish you the best of luck with that excuse, they probably heard that one 50,000 times :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I wish you the best of luck with that excuse, they probably heard that one 50,000 times :lol:

Well, feck them. They're not getting in. I have a TV in me room and I have an arial for that. But I'ts a Combi, so I can just use the "I use it for videos" trick.

They cant force their way into your home or gain access can they? :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Well, feck them. They're not getting in. I have a TV in me room and I have an arial for that. But I'ts a Combi, so I can just use the "I use it for videos" trick.

They cant force their way into your home or gain access can they? :nervous:

They have the power to get a search warrant (im 99.9% sure) also they wont need to get access they know what channel you are watching with all that gear they have in the van.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure that here we pay per household, and not per tv, which seems absolutely stupid and senseless.
  • Options
    i've just posted off for mine. i'm being very honest and paying for the full colour licence. this is the first year i've took my telly to uni with me - it's great! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    i've just posted off for mine. i'm being very honest and paying for the full colour licence. this is the first year i've took my telly to uni with me - it's great! :D

But, but, but, you're a student. You're supposed to not be honest and pay your bills and stuff. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Btw the tv licence is only for bbc channels there the one who set up the tv licencing...you never see adds for it on any other channel...so if i dont watch bbc do i still have to pay????
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    so if i dont watch bbc do i still have to pay????

Yes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes I do - because I think its worth it...........................

And if I didn't I'd get the sack!!
  • Options
    I live with people who all own tv's i don't like the tv so they pay and i don't:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    we don't have a tv license.

we don't have our tv wired up and tuned in. it is possible to break away from all the rubbish you're complaining about you know.

So you can get away with that? All I need to do is take down the ariels and they wouldn't have any proof. Yay!
  • Options
  • Options
    As Ellie says, we dont have a TV licence and, whilst Id like the football, tbh Id rather give my money to J D Wetherspoon than the BBC.

As for TV licence laws- if you live in a communal house, then you only have to have one TV Licence. If you live in a hosue with separate rooms, you need a TV Licence for each room unless the only TV is in a communal area, in which case you only need one. You only need a licence if you receive a TV signal- if your TV is only hooked up to a VHS and a DVD player, then no licence is needed, though its always a good idea to keep your TV tuned out of TV signals anyway.

TV Licence inspectors do not have the power of entry into your home without a warrant, and if they do not leave your property immediately then it is trespass, and you may sue them. Warrants are not issued as often as you would think, and most people are caught becausde they are stupid enough to let the inspectors in. As far as I am aware, evidence from a detector van is not admissible in a court of law, as it is not accurate enough. Besides which, most inspections are done by checking the electoral and postal rolls and sending out demands to any address without a licence, and also sending out reminder letters to any address which has recently purchased a new TV- places like Currys are obliged to provide details of TV purchases to the TV Licensing authority by law.
  • Options
    Thanks for that advice Kermit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    if you're not watching tv then of course you don't have to buy a license for it. just make sure that it's not tuned in and plugged into an ariel, and then no one can accuse you of being able to receive a signal.

Doesn't make any difference actually. If you have a television with an RF tuner then you have to pay the licence, even if you don't use it. Its not fair and not a perfect system, but I do see the value of a media channel not being reliant on advertising, means it can be more independant. Read some Chomsky sometime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Doesn't make any difference actually. If you have a television with an RF tuner then you have to pay the licence, even if you don't use it.

Incorrect. Weve taken legal advice on the matter.

You pay to receive the RF signal, not the ability to receive the signal. It is not illegal to own a TV without a license, merely to use it to receive a signal. And as the legal amxim is innocent until proven guilty, its up to them to prove that weve used the TV to receive an RF signal.
  • Options
    Really? Didn't know that. Cheers :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Dont take the risk, its not worth it. If you get caught you will pay more than you would have had to for the license.
    Yeah so its expensive, even more if you get caught.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Dont take the risk, its not worth it. If you get caught you will pay more than you would have had to for the license.
    Yeah so its expensive, even more if you get caught.

It5s not worth receiving the RF signal without a license, but you dont need a licence to watch videos or DVDs. So its not a risk:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It5s not worth receiving the RF signal without a license, but you dont need a licence to watch videos or DVDs. So its not a risk:)

I meant dont risk not buying a license if you intend watching TV.
  • Options
    Everybody should be aware of the following (from the TV Licensing official website):

"If you use or install television receiving equipment to receive or record television programme services you are required by law to have a valid TV Licence."

You have to be very clear about having aerials or any other equipment that will allow receiving TV channels. Any silly excuse such us "I'm only recording and will watch it when I buy a licence", "I don't live here", "I never turn it on", "I only watch cable" etc will not work and you will get done.

And to be honest, if you do watch TV you should pay for a licence. Or at least never ever complain about people not paying taxes, living on benefits, or coming to this country to "milk our generous system".
  • Options
    No my gran buys it for me
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    No my gran buys it for me

When Ive got a house and a TV, can I kid-on Im your long lost brother?
  • Options
    Personaly I think its fine, I'd pay it for Radio Four alone, but then you dont need a licence for radio so its even better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    When Ive got a house and a TV, can I kid-on Im your long lost brother?
    mm yeah, sure!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Everybody should be aware of the following (from the TV Licensing official website):

"If you use or install television receiving equipment to receive or record television programme services you are required by law to have a valid TV Licence."

You have to be very clear about having aerials or any other equipment that will allow receiving TV channels. Any silly excuse such us "I'm only recording and will watch it when I buy a licence", "I don't live here", "I never turn it on", "I only watch cable" etc will not work and you will get done.

And to be honest, if you do watch TV you should pay for a licence. Or at least never ever complain about people not paying taxes, living on benefits, or coming to this country to "milk our generous system".

hear hear