Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any dieticians here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I need to rethink my diet. I have a fairly typical diet for a teenager heh pizza chips crisps and the like, but I do eat a lot of fruit as well. The problem is recently I have been getting incredibly tired in the evenings, I even fainted / passed out / fell asleep once (but it was odd as it was at 2:00pm...)

Anyway I have a severe lack of energy and I don't know why. I try to eat as many slow-energy release foods as I can (potatoes, rice, bread) but I don't get much oppurtunity, apart from my evening meal. So most of the time in the day I'm munching through chocolate bars / sweets cos I need the energy from the sugar!!

I'm getting quite concerned because I don't want to get into a cycle where I'll have to eat sugar all the time in order to stay awake. Ok that's a bit extreme but you see where I'm coming from....

I know I have a high metabolism as I'm fairly active, male and I'm only 16 with no health problems that I know of so... What do I do? Thanks in advance to anybody who replies :)

Comments

• Options
    Should go to the doctor and check out that you're not diabetic.

High blood sugars will make you feel unconcentrated, unmotivated, tired, and just "blah-ish".
    Low bloodsugars could cause fainting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Should go to the doctor and check out that you're not diabetic.

High blood sugars will make you feel unconcentrated, unmotivated, tired, and just "blah-ish".
    Low bloodsugars could cause fainting.

:eek2: diabetic isn't good :eek2:

I shall book an appointment.. my mum will tell me I'm paranoid :p - but I think it probably is something to do with my diet either way *shrug*

I feel the high blood sugar symptoms a lot... well when at school anyway. Thanks for your reply Jacq :)
  • Options
    A lot of other simple things have the same symptoms as in Diabetes. Don't worry too much. Better to check it out sooner than later. Especially if you're fainting it can't be good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    A lot of other simple things have the same symptoms as in Diabetes. Don't worry too much. Better to check it out sooner than later. Especially if you're fainting it can't be good.

It wasn't an instant black out I was sitting on my bed and my eyes just closed and I fell asleep. I was playing a computer game at the time tho so... :confused:

O well somethin's up may as well have the doctor tell me heh :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    It wasn't an instant black out I was sitting on my bed and my eyes just closed and I fell asleep. I was playing a computer game at the time tho so... :confused:

O well somethin's up may as well have the doctor tell me heh :)

I once had a black out playing Crash Bandicoot- found out it was a mild, temporary form of epilepsy, though I never had any of the other symptoms you have, so it will be something completely different. But yes, as ever, go and see a GP. Even if it's not your proper one, a friend's parent or a relative or something.
  • Options
    :eek2: diabetic isn't good :eek2:

I shall book an appointment.. my mum will tell me I'm paranoid :p - but I think it probably is something to do with my diet either way *shrug*

So when someone else tells you go to a doctor you book an appointment and when I do you don't :(:p

But yeh, go to the doctor, it probably isn't diabetes but go just to be on the safe side. I know you hate doctors so *hugs* good luck hun :)
  • Options
    is that the only symptoms you have pal? im diabetic and have been for 15 years so i know a fair bit about it! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    So when someone else tells you go to a doctor you book an appointment and when I do you don't :(:p

Well I say I'll go to the doctor but I never do *shrug*
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    is that the only symptoms you have pal? im diabetic and have been for 15 years so i know a fair bit about it! :)

Err well:

I get irritable a lot of the time. Feel cold when I'm not or feel hot when I'm not. Very messed up but they're seperate incidents and propbably to do with my mood lol. Err yea at school I often can't focus properly and get tired and can't think properly. I am always craving for sugary foods (heh sweetooth) even when it makes me sick - I think this is my body's way of trying to get sugar into my system but I'm not sure. Err I think that's it... Although sometimes at school I lapse into my apathy-attitude but that's teenagers aint it lol
  • Options
    Well I say I'll go to the doctor but I never do *shrug*

Was that the point? I think NOT! (Just kiddin' :))
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    Was that the point? I think NOT! (Just kiddin' :))

:flirt::heart::love:;):naughty::heart:
  • Options
    Re: Any dieticians here?
    Ok I need to rethink my diet. I have a fairly typical diet for a teenager heh pizza chips crisps and the like, but I do eat a lot of fruit as well. The problem is recently I have been getting incredibly tired in the evenings, I even fainted / passed out / fell asleep once (but it was odd as it was at 2:00pm...)

Anyway I have a severe lack of energy and I don't know why. I try to eat as many slow-energy release foods as I can (potatoes, rice, bread) but I don't get much oppurtunity, apart from my evening meal. So most of the time in the day I'm munching through chocolate bars / sweets cos I need the energy from the sugar!!

I'm getting quite concerned because I don't want to get into a cycle where I'll have to eat sugar all the time in order to stay awake. Ok that's a bit extreme but you see where I'm coming from....

I know I have a high metabolism as I'm fairly active, male and I'm only 16 with no health problems that I know of so... What do I do? Thanks in advance to anybody who replies :)

Ok, I have similar problems with tiredness. I too eat a lot of carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes and pasta. What I have been led to believe from a certain amount of research is that white grains can be too starchy and give off an energy high and then a slump. Try wholegrain rice, pasta and try to avoid potatoes, (mmmm appetising) - report back - Im sure we're not the only ones who have this problem
  • Options
    Re: Re: Any dieticians here?
    Originally posted by leeseylicious
    Ok, I have similar problems with tiredness. I too eat a lot of carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes and pasta. What I have been led to believe from a certain amount of research is that white grains can be too starchy and give off an energy high and then a slump. Try wholegrain rice, pasta and try to avoid potatoes, (mmmm appetising) - report back - Im sure we're not the only ones who have this problem

:thumb: ok! :D The problem is my parents cook my meals but I'm sure if I make myself pasta that takes 5/10 minutes they wont mind. Spaghetti bolognaise :D
  • Options
    :flirt::heart::love:;):naughty::heart:

heh :)
  • Options
    diabetes has a variety of symptoms but i wont post them incase it worries you more or you start thinking you have the symptoms. tiredness is just one of the symptoms. if you are really worried about it then go see your gp its a simple test to see if you are diabetic. its a test i do myself everyday. some chemists even carry out the tests for a small fee.
  • Options
    you say you need a lot of sugar..is it because you feel tired alot? perhaps you're not getting enough sleep or exercise. maybe you need to re-assess those aswell as your eating habits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    you say you need a lot of sugar..is it because you feel tired alot? perhaps you're not getting enough sleep or exercise. maybe you need to re-assess those aswell as your eating habits.

Well I sleep tonnes.. from about 10:00 to 8:00 in the morning - heh my habit of going bed early has become a joke on IRC. It could be a lack of exercise I guess... what happens etc?
  • Options
    well..
    i know when i have too much sleep i feel soooo tired and sluggish.

exercise..thats just a good thing to have in your life -keeps you fit and it sounds weird but i feel so energetic and awake after a workout in the gym..it releases endorphines doesnt it?

as for your diet..

you're not eating anything of substance during the day -you need carbs not sugary snacks. thats just so not healthy imo.