Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Point of View

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today the only way you can be objective is by being totally apathetic.

True?

Comments

• Options
    meh

:p
  • Options
    Meh, I don't really care to be honest.....
  • Options
    Does that make society objective?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Personally I believe you can be objective and still hold an opinion. There is no such thing as absolute objectivity in any case.

To me being objective is simply acknowledging that there is a multitude of points of view on an issue, some valid and some not, and recognising that people have a right to hold those opinions. Even if I disagree with them, it doesn't make me right and them wrong.
  • Options
    Agrees with LadyJade.

I personally find it possible to hold my own opinion whilst seeing the value in anothers point of view.

I believe the key is understanding why the other person holds an opinion that is different to yours and how this realtes to the debate to give a reasoning for their opinion.......
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Exactly. It helps strengthen your arguments if you can follow someones logic to its conclusion and understand how their assumptions differ from yours.

No ones argument is perfect, but if you listen to what other people have to say and consider it against what you think, it shows up the gaps in your own belief about something and allows you to make your ideas more complex.

A very passionate or extreme reaction for or against what someone says reveals just as much about you as it does about the other person. Just saying 'you are wrong, that's disgusting/repulsive/shocking/pathetic' etc wont help to convince anyone you have an opinion, just that you have a reaction.

Only reasoning and facts and an awareness of the assumptions you make to come to a conclusion help you develop a watertight argument.
  • Options
    Jacqueline

Apathy buys you nothing.

You need to stand up for what you believe is right.

If you are not true to your core values then you will be swept away by the will of others.
  • Options
    I am an amoralist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    I am an amoralist.

...?