Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Difference between BA(Hons)&MML??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between a BA Honours (in Languages) and the Master of Modern Languages degree, in like realtion to which is a higher qualification..?? Lol if u get me...
Thank you
x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe I'm a bit out of touch, but I've never heard of an MML. Obviously, if it's like a normal masters you'll need a bachelor degree first.

A BA languages degree is normally four years long, with a year abroad in the 3rd year, where you'd be working, studying, or working as a language assistant in a school. The course could comprise of literature, political or cultural (e.g. films) units, and in most places you can do joint honours with another language, or different subject, or do a language 'with' something else (e.g. History with German).

I hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Yeah, thank you, was just a bit confused with all these different name thingies....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I remember that when I was applying to Manchester I had to choose between the BA and the MML. Basically in my case I couldn't do the MML because I wanted to do French and Italian with Italian from scratch..the MML required A-Levels in both languages. The MML states that it is "a four-year enhanced course, enabling highly qualified students to reach an outstanding level of expertise in two languages"...
    It also has more time abroad at various stages in the degree

I don't know if this is the same as what you were looking at but if it is then the MML starts at a higher level and aims to reach a bit higher aswell.

Quite confusing!
  • Options
    Yes thats the one!! Am thinking of applying to Manchester 'n so yeah, that's what i was wondering...I think it's bollox that you can't do it if you don't have both A-Levels in both languages 'cuz now it means i can't do it...:( But anyway, yeah that was it, thank you!:)
  • Options
    What languages are you wanting to study?

Sorry, pure nosyness, I know nothing about language degrees :)
  • Options
    Lol s'awrite, umm i was thinkin of studying either Portuguese, French, Italian or Spanish. Am doing A-Levels in Portuguese n French, so i would need to start on scratch with the others...am just not quite sure what i'll do with them afterwards...lol helpful...:eek2: !