Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

George Bush's Treason: happy to reveal the identities of own CIA agents

Since Thanatos seems happy to dig up nonsensical, ultra right wing articles trying to throw mud at Democrats past and present and to label them "traitors", why don't we look at present-day facts about a much more real act of treason: the deliberate uncovering of a CIA secret agent by the Bush Administration for revenge.

To recap the story so far, former diplomat Joseph Wilson was sent by Bush to Niger to investigate claims that Saddam had tried to buy uranium there. The claims were utter bollocks [just like every other claim about Saddam's WMDs programme] and Wilson said so in his report. So naturally Bush went and said in the run-up to the war that Saddam had tried to obtain uranium in Niger :rolleyes: .

Unsurprisingly Wilson wasn't too impressed with his President and went public, criticising Bush for twisting facts and lying.

Big mistake. The neo-conservative Bush government does not like whistle-blowers. So they deliberately leaked the name of Wilson's wife, who is an undercover CIA agent, as an act of revenge.

Can you get any more treacherous than that Globe? Tell us again about "traitors" please...

Full info

Edited to add: P.S. How good of Bush to demand an investigation to discover the truth eh? It is just a shame that he has ruled out an independent inquiry, preferring instead to give the investigation to the Justice Department ran by ultra-right wing neo-conservative warmongering corrupt buddie John Ashcroft. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It might not be all bad, Bush may not come out of this one unscathed - how do you think the career intellegence community might feel about one of their covert agents being exposed on purely political motive? I am sure this has happened countless times before and worse, but Bush may have tread on the wrong toes this time. We can always hope.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes we can always hope. However I fear that the "investigation" by the Hon. Jonathan Ashcroft will 'fail' to uncover the culprit, or at most lay the blame on some junior interim, thus freeing Bush of any guilt.
  • Options
    More than likely given the whitewash that was proported to be a Congressional investigation into the truth behind 9/11.

Seems there is simply no accountability to the American public from this admin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Yes we can always hope. However I fear that the "investigation" by the Hon. Jonathan Ashcroft will 'fail' to uncover the culprit, or at most lay the blame on some junior interim, thus freeing Bush of any guilt.

Hmmm, this sounds familiar but I find myself looking for the words "Hutton" and "Blair" in there somewhere...

Just out of interest it illegal to disclose the name of a serving covert CIA operative.
  • Options
    The Hutton inquiry is independent though isn't it?

But the first inquiry (the Commons committee) was not independent.
    Just out of interest it illegal to disclose the name of a serving covert CIA operative.

Are you asking or making a statement? I don't know if it is illegal or not. I would imagine it is. But even if it wasn't such move can easily be considered an act of treason, or at least an act that comprises if not national security at least the personal security of an agent in the payroll of the (US) government.

If a 16-year-old hacker were to break into the CIA files and disclose the names of agents you can be sure he would rot in jail for the best part of 20 years for it.
  • Options

Hmmm, maybe I'm just a cynic...
    Are you asking or making a statement?

Statement (damn this keyboard) - it is illegal.
  • Options

It is? Oh, I mean, it is.

I dont know if the US have the same laws that we do though, MoK- over here anything said in parliament cannot be used against the person saying it, and cannot not be illegal even if in the public world it would be.
  • Options
    Yes it is a capitol offence in the US to name intelligence agents...

http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg107552.html
  • Options
    Great! Impeachment anyone? :rolleyes:

No, of course not. Even if the Hon. J. Ashcroft's investigation was to unearth the hand of Bush in all of this (yeah right!), you can be sure that the same people who demanded that a certain past President be impeached for the GRAND CAPITAL CRIME of having an affair and trying to keep the public from finding out, would be trying to save TRAITOR CORRUPT Dubya from impeachment for betraying his own agent and breaking the law.

But that's neo-conservatism for you.
  • Options
    Give me a break. Some people here are so transparent in their contempt for GW Bush. Can we say partisan politics?

Try to apply a little objectivity (if that is possible). First there is an investigation under way and the White House has assured full cooperation with the Justice Department.

There is so far no credible proof that anything was leaked from the Administration. In fact, Robert Novak who wrote this article in JULY said his source was NOT from the White House.

Secondly, is Wilson's wife really a covert agent? It appears she is just an analyst. She would have to have been a covert agent with in the last 5 years to be covered under the
    Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

Wilson himself admitted that he "over spoke" when he said Karl Rove was behind it yet still pressed the issue with no proof.

Wilson lists his wife in his biography under her supposedly secret maiden name.

A little more from Robert Novak:

During a long conversation with a senior administration official, I asked why [Joseph] Wilson was assigned the mission to Niger. He said Wilson had been sent by the CIA's counterproliferation section at the suggestion of one of its employees, his wife. It was an offhand revelation from this official, who is no partisan gunslinger. When I called another official for confirmation, he said: "Oh, you know about it." The published report that somebody in the White House failed to plant this story with six reporters and finally found me as a willing pawn is simply untrue.

A big question is her duties at Langley [CIA headquarters]. I regret that I referred to her in my column as an "operative," a word I have lavished on hack politicians for more than 40 years. While the CIA refuses to publicly define her status, the official contact says she is "covered"--working under the guise of another agency. However, an unofficial source at the Agency says she has been an analyst, not in covert operations.

Why the delayed reaction to this? If it is such an outrage today, why wasn't it 3 months ago?

The Washington Post quotes him as saying of his wife: "We were just discussing today who would play her in the movie."

This is much to do about nothing, just another example of Democrats searching for another Watergate. Keep looking.
  • Options
    But of course your denials are not transparently partisan in any way. Please! :rolleyes:

This arrogant adminsitration has repeatedly betrayed the public trust and our allies and the "rule of law" it claims to champion. Only wanton disregard for the steady stream of revelations of lies and half truths and subsequent administration reversals can excuse the transparent abuses of power that have been prepetrated both on our nation as well as the international community.

But you are free to keep burying your head in the sand and pretend that the "Project for the New American Century" is not digging us deeper into a hole of our making.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article1665.htm
  • Options
    Clandistine

No, I am not being a partisan here.

I will reserve judgment until some facts are uncovered.

Until then it is only an accusation (made with questionable motives). So I won't be jumping on the impeachment bandwagon just yet. Sorry to disappoint you.