Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personalising Clothes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I'm in the midst of buying a blazer to customise into a band shrine.
What could I use to decorate it with? I made a rucksack with an "ozzy" logo out of felt, which went all bobbly..
Should I stick to paintin? and if so.. what kinda paints wouldn't wash out..?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    Re: Personalising Clothes...
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    what kinda paints wouldn't wash out..?

er....fabric paints? :confused:
  • Options
    I suspect Kaffrin is the girl to answer this question better than me.
    If you were going to do applique, then unless you have an overlocker then youd definitely need a fabric that wouldnt fray, Felt is usually a good choice for that, but I guess you could use other fabrics and just blanket stitch around the edges. It depends on how youre planning to wash it, and how much effort you want to put into it. If using paints, there are fabric crayons and fabric paints. I used to use fluffit pens to draw on Tshirts with when I was younger, but i dont know if you can still get them, and they might not be the kind of effect you are after.
    How about one of those Tshirt printing shops where you can get a plasticised print of anything you like. I did used to have this stuff that you pasted on to the back of a photocopied picture and it would transfer the image to whatever fabric you applied it to. cant remember what its called, but you can get it from art and craft supply shops.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I suspect Kaffrin is the girl to answer this question better than me.

aw :blush::D

all woven fabrics will fray if you cut them and don't hem them. the solution is either to track down something known as 'fray stoppa' which you can get from fabric and haberdashery shops, or use something like cotton jersey, which comes in loads of different colours and weights and also takes fabric paint really well.

like faith said, fabric paint is your best bet for designs on fabric. it comes in the normal poster paint style, as well as puff paint, glossy paint and glittery paint. best of all it's REALLY easy to use.

you can also decorate it with things like buttons, chains, ribbon, badges and sequins, depending on the effect you're going for.

if you get really into it, maybe invest in some eyelet pliers and decorate it with eyelets.

best thing to do is have a wander round a local fabric/haberdashery shop and see what they've got.