Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Easiest language to learn...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the easiest language to learn (from personal experience, or from what you've heard)???

I've heard that Spanish is pretty easy to learn. Is it? I wanna learn another language pronto.

Comments

• Options
    My personal opinion is that English is the easiest language to learn. No complex grammar rules and stuff like that.

Beside that one I am not really sure, it all depends on where you come from. For me other easy languages are the Scandinavian languages, followed by German and those of similar origins. :)
  • Options
    english is so hard. i had a grammer clas last year and we have the stupidest rules ever. like dangling modifiers. wtf? i think french is quite easy...or spanish.
  • Options
    apparently spanish is the easiest language to learn from an english speakers point of view..

but i imagine french is just as easy.
  • Options
    I think languages can be easy to learn, but learning the conversational language can be very difficult. In my town, there are alot of Spanish people, and its very difficult for somebody who has taken Spanish lessons to still understand them. The speed at which a language is spoken, or different slangs and all that goody stuff making learning anything difficult.
  • Options
    I have heard that the French and German languages are both pretty easy to learn, but that's just want I heard.

I had taken a year of Spanish, in my freshman year of high school, and I thought it was very hard, but maybe it was just because of the damn teacher, because we both hated each other, or maybe it really was hard, or maybe it was just me.
  • Options
    at school we were offered spanish and french.

people who took both usually said that spanish was easier, but the spanish exams were harder to compensate.

don't know about other languages, except polish, which is hard as hell unless you have a second tongue. bet they all score LOADS in scrabble though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    German is easiest for English people I would say.
    It is fairly straight forward

i reckon either german or auslan
  • Options
    Spanish..

English is actually one of the hardest for non native speakers to learn.
  • Options
    Spanish is pretty easy to learn, i think any language who's alphabet and character set has additional characters to a persons native character set, would be more difficult to learn. A completely different alphabet would be even harder, hence, im gonna keep away from German, the Scandinavians, soviet states/ areas and the eastern places :p
  • Options
    I think that sign language is piss easy to learn!
  • Options
    All the non-English speaking people I've spoken to have told me that English is very easy to learn - maybe because they get so much of it on tv and stuff - but apparently our grammar is pretty straightforward, it's just our pronunciations and stresses that are difficult.

As for other languages, I reckon German is easy to learn if you're only doing it to a basic conversational level, but if you want to go further than that I think it gets quite complicated with grammar.

I think French is actually a difficult one to learn, there are so many exceptions to the rules you need to get a feel for the languages rather than learn it from a book.

And as for Russian.......... just don't go there! :crazyeyes

I want to learn Polish next.

Oh, I did Italian GCSE, that was quite easy to pick up - if you know a bit of French or Spanish it helps.
  • Options
    French is suppose to be the easiest. Not sure though.
  • Options
    lookin at verbs and tenses and how they are composed spanish is the easiest but to speak it has to be irish,
  • Options
    Spanish is the easiest, without a doubt.

German grammar is too confusing, and even though French grammar is as easy as spanish, it's not phonetic so it's waaay harder to speak.
  • Options
    Id say spanish or french is easiest to learn.
    Or u could make up your own language and then it would be as easy or as hard to learn as u want to make it....:rolleyes: sorry!
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    lookin at verbs and tenses and how they are composed spanish is the easiest but to speak it has to be irish,

bloody aimsir laithreach and faisteanach!! arg. horrible language.
  • Options
    Spanish is extremely easy because its format is very straightfoward.

It is as a person begins to move beyond the basics that it becomes a bit more difficult than some other languages, like French. So I'd say, Spanish is very easy if you want to master pronunciation, reading, and conversation basics of a foriegn language relatively quickly.

While I find French basics a bit more difficult, mainly due to pronounciation, I'm told that it is easier to move from a basic speaker to an intermediate/advanced speaker in French than it is with the Spanish language.

I'm told that if you just want to learn a language so that you'd be able to understand it and speak it, but not necessarily write it or read it, Japanese is easy with its pronunciation being not too far from Spanish. However, there are more things that will probably trip up a student whose native language is not Asiatic than would Spanish trip up a student whose native language isn't a Romance language.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    All the non-English speaking people I've spoken to have told me that English is very easy to learn -

Really? Thats pretty much the opposite to what ive heard..I guess its different for different people and nationalities..I have a greek friend here at uni who speaks about 5 european languages as well as arabic and hes currently learning chinese (yes i hate him too) and he said english was the hardest to learn other than chinese.

Im currently learning korean and its pretty difficult to get my head round a new alphabet.
  • Options
    A completely different alphabet would be even harder, hence, im gonna keep away from German
    German hasn't got a different alphabet :confused: Only an 'ess-zett' sign like a capital B, which is like 'ss,' and dots over some vowels (umlautes), which change the sound.
    I have definately found German easier to learn than French, and I dropped French after year 9. Friends that have continued with French to A level seem to have slightly harder exams and more work to do!
    Spanish seems the easiest to learn, and I would have thought that English was hard to learn, as there are exceptions to all the rules.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Really? Thats pretty much the opposite to what ive heard..I guess its different for different people and nationalities..I have a greek friend here at uni who speaks about 5 european languages as well as arabic and hes currently learning chinese (yes i hate him too) and he said english was the hardest to learn other than chinese.

Im currently learning korean and its pretty difficult to get my head round a new alphabet.

Grammar-wise English is one of the hardest to learn.
    But most people find it the easiest due to it's huge exposion all over.

Btw, good to see you posting again :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    But most people find it the easiest due to it's huge exposion all over.

Btw, good to see you posting again :)

Good to be back :) Settled into uni now so will prolly be posting more.
  • Options
    Good to know.
    What course are you doing?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'd say German, having had experience with French, German and a tiny bit of Swedish :p
  • Options
    I found Spanish quite easy :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I've been told by someone who's learnt several languages, including English, that English is hard if you want to follow the proper rules of grammar, but at the same time you can break the rules of English grammar and still be understood perfectly well, which makes it easier than other languages that have strict rules of grammer where one word can totally change the meaning of the words around it, and even the meaning of a sentance. For example, some languages have words that have masculine and feminine meanings, depending upon various prefixes, etc. English, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have words like that.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    and a tiny bit of Swedish :p
    What do you know in Swedish? :)
  • Options
    I vote for Spanish too. It's phonetic and easy for English-speakers to pronounce, its accents show which syllables to stress and the grammar's not that bad either. Italian is also meant to be quite easy.