Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

need some advice - dieting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need some advice, i would say i am overweight, well i know i am and i really want to do something about it, ive looked through the sites fact sheets on slimming down and dieting but the scary thing is that there is soo many different diets to choose from and tbh i aint got the faintest clue which one to even start

i wouldnt say im really lazy, sure i spend quite a bit of time on my pc, but if i go to my mates i will walk instead of getting the bus .e.tc, as some of you may know i play the drums which is quite good excercise, i wouldnt even say i ate that much but here i am, still overweight.

i really need to know which diet method will help me best, and im not scared / worried to go to the doctors if its needed, im just curious to see if anyone here was overweight but now isnt because of some diet they tried that worked?

any info / suggestions would be very much appreciated!

ta!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Glad to see you've looked at our features on diet already. The best diet you can switch to is a long-term healthy one rather than something faddy that you'll stick to for about two weeks and then give up on. It often helps if you make a record of everything you eat and drink for a week and then look at what you can do without (i.e. extra snacks/unneccesary alcohol etc) and what you could make healthier (i.e less fatty, processed foods). Making small changes like this will make the weight come off - not as quickly as a fad diet, but this way it stays off and you lose more in the long run.

The second thing you HAVE to do is exercise. Walking instead of going by car/bus is a very positive first step, but try and thing about what kind of exercise you'd enjoy on top of this. If you're not really an exercise person, think about a team sport that will be sociable as well. Whatever it is, do it as regularly as possible - the more you exercise the more weight you'll shift, especially if you're doing cardiovascular exercise.
    Check out our fitness special for loads more info on exercise.

Above all, make a plan and STICK TO IT! Good luck and let us know how you get on... :)