Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Soulmates!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you really think there is a soulmate out there for everyone...or that everyone will be lucky enough to meet them?

I was talking to a friend today and I firmly believe that people have this stupid unobtainable belief that they will oneday meet their soulmate and settle down happily for ever. however, it seems to me that however much you believe that to begin with several years down the line the reality of the hard work a relationship entails will hit home and only the bravest of people will stick with it.

many peole meet the person they think is their soulmate only to divorce or split up later. Too many people split from one relationship after another because they are constantly trying to find their soulmate.

People believe that they will end up with the perfect partner and yet noone is perfect, they might stop thinking you are perfect. The sex will get boring, the little things will get annoying.

Is it worth staying in a not so perfect relationship because you have realised that whoever you meet next will only end up exposing their flaws and not living up to your idea of a soulmate?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Soulmates!!
    Originally posted by byny
    Is it worth staying in a not so perfect relationship because you have realised that whoever you meet next will only end up exposing their flaws and not living up to your idea of a soulmate? [/B]

Now because im on to my 2nd marriage Id try to save it as much as I could. I dont beleive for one minuite every relationship is perfect, we all must disagree with others at some point.
    Even with a not so perfect relationship id stay with it, im too old to try this dating lark again......and probably no bugger would want me anyhow :(
  • Options
    I think you can find soulmates out there. But they're few and far between. I don't subscribe to the idea that there is only one soulmate. There are plenty of people out there who you could click with on many levels, it's just lucky if you find one of them.
    No, you won't be 100% compatible, nobody truly is. There are always small differences. But there are people out there who have a lot of the same beliefs, outlook on life, views, and opinions, as yourself. Just got to keep looking, and have a bit of luck.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I'd like to think there is a soulmate, i.e the chap I'd marry, and I think to myself, I wonder if I passed him by walking in the street, etc. But I'm not on a soulmate search; just doing the dating lark til I find whoever I feel right with. Isn't that what everyone does?
  • Options
    I think everyone can find someone who they can regard as their soulmate but that person might not be 100% compatible with them. Nobody shares exactly the same outlook on life or the same values etc, but people do have things in common.

If relationships are to work then the two people must understand that nothing will remain constant through their lives and they must learn to adjust and adapt to each other.

It seems to me that marriages fail these days because some people have the misconception that everything will be rosy for the rest of their lives and when it gets hard, it's easier to throw in the towel and start afresh. What they don't realise is that they'll probably end up in the same situation again with a different partner.

It's a challenge, something I am learning in my relationship with my girlfriend, but you have to look at the bigger picture and believe that things will sort themselves out eventually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Philosopher

It seems to me that marriages fail these days because some people have the misconception that everything will be rosy for the rest of their lives and when it gets hard, it's easier to throw in the towel and start afresh. What they don't realise is that they'll probably end up in the same situation again with a different partner.

Nah id strongly disagree with that.

I married far too young, I thought I knew everything and I thought I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life. Things did not work out that way and I got out of the relationship.

Anyway im now married again and things wont go the same way as last time. Im older, I want this marriage to work and I will do my best to keep trying to make it work. I do not think it will end like the last one. Because this is my second marriage is why I will probably fight to make it last and would not throw the towel in.