Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Black Ink not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently (5 mins ago) Installed my Epson Printer onto my PC again because the driver muddled up. Now it tells me everything is fine but I cant print out in black. Only colour and the printer doesnt regocnise the problem. When I done a nossle check, the black didnt show. I did it again and a little bit of black came out. I have already used a fair bit of my new black ink cartridge on this. Help me. I have to print off my essay for English in 2 days time!

C42 Stylus btw.

Oh yeah, I got a new cartridge that wasnt an epson. It said printouts would differ.

Comments

• Options
    Have you done a cleaning cycle?

Sometimes you have to do it several times.

Or maybe you got a duff catridge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Have you done a cleaning cycle?

Sometimes you have to do it several times..

Yes, twice.

Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Or maybe you got a duff catridge

Nope, I know it is working. I opened the little bit of plastic @ the hole. Ink dribbled out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing

Nope, I know it is working. I opened the little bit of plastic @ the hole. Ink dribbled out.

Sure it isn't empty?

Do a full cleany thing and another nozzle check. If it don't work take it back for a replacement.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Sure it isn't empty?

Do a full cleany thing and another nozzle check. If it don't work take it back for a replacement.

It comes up on the Ink Levels as fine. Brand New. I just got it. I could take it back, but what if it's something I did wrong? Im sure I didnt but, I dont want a fuss.
  • Options
    are you sure you took the plastic bit off the tips of the cartirdge?

My friend had the same problem and that was the cause
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    are you sure you took the plastic bit off the tips of the cartirdge?

Yep. Nothing doing.
  • Options
    you didnt take the cartridge out and put it back in again did you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    you didnt take the cartridge out and put it back in again did you?

Yes, to check it. I even took it out again there to check if there was a blockage in the cartridge, so I stuck a pen in it. Why?
  • Options
    Oh dear, seriously? Once you put the cartridge in you pierce it. It is supposed to be completely air tight. If you then take said ink cartridge out you get dust and stuff in it and air. This is ok as long as you don't then try and put it back in where what you do is basically jam up the heads. Theres a chance you could have damaged your print heads in which case you are rather unlucky.
  • Options
    Oh dear, seriously? Once you put the cartridge in you pierce it. It is supposed to be completely air tight. If you then take said ink cartridge out you get dust and stuff in it and air. This is ok as long as you don't then try and put it back in where what you do is basically jam up the heads. Theres a chance you could have damaged your print heads in which case you are rather unlucky.

Meaning my printer is fucked?

ARGHH :mad:

I hope it is OK. I cant check until morning though. Oh, and will it leak?
  • Options
    possibly, that cartridge in it is useless anyway. Not sure how that particular printer operates I know some printers now incorporate the heads in the cartridge but I think its lexmark that do that. Only real way is a new cartridge in. Its why you shouldn't remove a cartridge even when empty until the replacement ready alongside the printer.
  • Options
    possibly, that cartridge in it is useless anyway. Not sure how that particular printer operates I know some printers now incorporate the heads in the cartridge but I think its lexmark that do that. Only real way is a new cartridge in. Its why you shouldn't remove a cartridge even when empty until the replacement ready alongside the printer.

Is there a chance that It will be OK?
  • Options
    possibly I reckon its not definatly fucked just could be. At very least that cartridge is definatly fucked.
  • Options
    possibly I reckon its not definatly fucked just could be. At very least that cartridge is definatly fucked.

Well, I have a receipt, so.... Could I get another one or at least my money back?

If so, what can I say. It has to be beleivable and you seem to know alot. Please help Bomberman444.
  • Options
    not much you can do if you used a non Epson cartridge that voids your warrenty.
  • Options
    not much you can do if you used a non Epson cartridge that voids your warrenty.

I mean if I take the cartridge back.
  • Options
    Don't think they are gonna be able to do anything there frankly. You use compatible cartridges at own risk.
  • Options
    Damn, it was my aunt that bought it. She was going down that way and got it for me. She said the guy said it was OK to use and the package said its for use with my printer, its just not got EPSON on the packet.
  • Options
    With Epson you have a permenant print head and the cartidge only contains ink, which is why it's so easy for many companies to make epson compatiable catridges.

When you buy the cartidge the botton section is covered in a seal plastic which is pirced as you insert the ink into the printer - once inserted it's not supposed to be removed until the ink runs out totally. With Epson it's important that air doesn't get into the print heads as it could damage it.

2 cleaning cycles isn't that much for a brand new catridge, I have an Epson 740 and C20.

I've had the 740 for many years and can say that when you put in a brand new cartidge you may have to do as many as 5 cleaning cycles to get the thing to print. Althought inserting the cartridge and leaving it for several hours may help te ink to start running down without needing so many print cycle.

And I assume you removed the plastic tab from the top of the cartidge to allow air to flow into the cartidge?

Some people refile these caridges them selves and put tape on the bottom o fthe cartidge BUT the glue from sellotape can get ito the heads and jam then and they are tiny so easily blocked - but ti think you'd need more cleaning cycles to get it going espacilly if you used the last cartidge until the very end.
  • Options
    I left it for like 2 mins. Then I tried it so.

It has been left for over 13 hours now anyway so, fingers crossed!

They are non-refillable btw.
  • Options
    I think that it's f*****. I tried to prin and not even a faint line appeared.
  • Options
    I dont know much about this type of stuff but what I do know is I have an epson printer and decided to buy a cheap refil, the thing just would not work. I bought 3 for ex amount (cant remember how much) anyway tried with one of the other cartridges and it worked ok.

It could be purely that cartridge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I dont know much about this type of stuff but what I do know is I have an epson printer and decided to buy a cheap refil, the thing just would not work. I bought 3 for ex amount (cant remember how much) anyway tried with one of the other cartridges and it worked ok.

It could be purely that cartridge.

Did you get your money back though, Becky?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Did you get your money back though, Becky?

Nah i didnt even try, they were dirt cheap. also it would have cost me more in petrol to go and get a refund. I just binned it :)

If the shops local to you then take the cartridge back and just tell them it wont work, they may refund or exchange. If you have the receipt then you can have a full refund, without receipt they only have to change it (I think thats the law) :)
  • Options
    Ta Becky
  • Options
    my coloured ink doesnt work, its a hp officejet g95, the ink cartridges wont align either, would it be best to just buy a new cartridge?