Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Greasy hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hair gets really greasy really quickly and ive tried loads of shampoos and nothing seems to help, please help me :(

Comments

• Options
    Do you use lots of products on it? If so dont ;)
  • Options
    I dont use any at all, i just shampoo, condition and blow dry and thats it and sometimes i use a little blob of striaghten gel but thats it
  • Options
    Sunsilk do a good shampoo for hair that gets greasy too quickly.

How often do you wash it? If you can bear to leave it for a few days (tie it up or wear a hat or something) that might help. I think it lets your oil glands, or whatever they are, calm down a bit so that they won't produce so much oil.
  • Options
    i wash it every day coz i have too
  • Options
    I think washing too often can make it more greasy, try what LSS said :)
  • Options
    - Don't wash it too often
    - Only put conditioners on the end of your hair, the roots don't need it and it just makes it greasy
    - Don't touch/play with your hair too much
    - Rinse with lukewarm water, not hot - it stimulates the oil production of your scalp

Can't think of anything else. :yeees:
  • Options
    Pretty much what Smash said

Try getting a special shampoo for greasy hair. Its worth getting a decent one, even though it may cost more, its worth it, KERÉSTASE do a good one. Also, towel dry your hair after shampooing before you apply the conditioner. Apply the conditioner to the lengths and ends of your hair, not the roots. When applying products, do the same and apply to the ends. It is worth leaving your hair as long as possible without washing it, other wise it will make your hair more greasy. Put it up or wear a cap if needs be. You can also sprinkle on a little talcom powder to disguise greasy-ness and pat it in to your head, but be careful that you dont end up with white, powdery, flakey roots!
  • Options
    My hair's the same, although seems to be getting better :-\

Shampoo for greasy hair makes my hair greasier :eek2:
  • Options
    I bought that sunsilk shampoo for greasy hair today (was on specail) so im gonna give that a try. Also im not gonna wash my hair tomorro and im not gonna wash my hair unless i really have too or am going out to college or whatever to give my hair a break and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Do you wash all the shampoo out properly? and give it a good massage and rinse? :)
  • Options
    your hair really does get used to being washed too frequently and produces extra oil to compensate. I i used to have to wash my hair every day but i cut it down to every other day, and now it still looks fine the day after washing (but i cant really leave it any longer than that) Make sure you only use conditioner on the ends of your hair (if at all)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Make sure you only use conditioner on the ends of your hair (if at all)
    ALWAYS CONDITION YOUR HAIR!!!
    Oh, and don't brush your hair. I haven't used a hair brush for over a year. I run my fingers through it while I straighten. Brushing stimulates the hair follicles, so try and touch/brush your hair as little as possible.

Never Not Condition.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    ALWAYS CONDITION YOUR HAIR!!!

Never Not Condition.

Ilora x
    why? it doesnt always need it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    why? it doesnt always need it.

I'm doing hairdressing at college. We've been told we must always ALWAYS use conditioner.

As for the greasy hair prob....i think this is what the teacher said, but i'm not sure, so it' prob best not to do it, but.....you put a shampoo for greasy hair on, then put a cap on (for you it's be cling film) then blow dry that for like 5 mins, but not too hot. Then rinse and use a reconstructor type conditioner.
    And i suggest just putting conditioner on the ends, and a very tiny bit on the rest of ur hair.
  • Options
    Sorry I know this is an old post, but my hairdresser said that hair does not always need to be conditioned. Many good quality shampoos will contain mild conditioners.